Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GASabresIUFAN

Injuries starting to mount

Recommended Posts

Wilson and Hunwick have been out all season and are still listed as out indefinitely.  However both have been making progress and it would seem one or both may be ready by the new year.   Neither are critical to the success of this season as both are depth players, but I like Wilson's effort and we will need him before the year ends.

However 4 key players are now sidelined with injuries.  All are listed day to day and their absence was felt last night against TB

Berglund - has been out since Nov 21, missing the last 5 games with a upper body injury.  

Sheary - has been out since Nov 27 also with an upper body injury. Sheary had 3 g and 4 a and +5 in 12 games in November.  His effort was missing in TB.  However, CBS says he may be available against FLA tonight.

Scandella - Like Sheary he has been out since Nov 27.  Day to Day, buy Pilut travelling with the team.  We will miss his game if this becomes a long-term issue.

McCabe - Arguably our most consistent D YTD.  He went down in TB and is listed day to day.  He has been skating 19+ minutes a game for us.  

The Sabres have been fortunate with injuries so far this season, but Sheary, Scandella and McCabe are very important pieces for this team and we need them back sooner then later.  

That said I'm looking forward to seeing Pilut in the lineup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every team goes through these stretches and it will test our depth. They do not need any more injuries

I hope Pilut gets a game and does well. This would inspire him and the rest of the guys in Rochester.

Rebound game in Florida will be good for morale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not bad enough to say "mount." Scandella is sick, and assuming it's not something serious, he should be back very soon. Injuries aren't a story — yet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Just be happy its not like Boston where Chara and Bergeron are out extended periods of time.

Not just those 2, McAvoy hasn't played since October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wilson and Hunwick have been out all season and are still listed as out indefinitely.  However both have been making progress and it would seem one or both may be ready by the new year.   Neither are critical to the success of this season as both are depth players, but I like Wilson's effort and we will need him before the year ends.

However 4 key players are now sidelined with injuries.  All are listed day to day and their absence was felt last night against TB

Berglund - has been out since Nov 21, missing the last 5 games with a upper body injury.  

Sheary - has been out since Nov 27 also with an upper body injury. Sheary had 3 g and 4 a and +5 in 12 games in November.  His effort was missing in TB.  However, CBS says he may be available against FLA tonight.

Scandella - Like Sheary he has been out since Nov 27.  Day to Day, buy Pilut travelling with the team.  We will miss his game if this becomes a long-term issue.

McCabe - Arguably our most consistent D YTD.  He went down in TB and is listed day to day.  He has been skating 19+ minutes a game for us.  

The Sabres have been fortunate with injuries so far this season, but Sheary, Scandella and McCabe are very important pieces for this team and we need them back sooner then later.  

That said I'm looking forward to seeing Pilut in the lineup.  

The injuries were inevitable.  Surprised they've seen as few as they have to date.  If Pilut plays tonight, he'll be the 1st callup to play and it'll be the 27th game.  What other team has gone that long without a non-training camp injury?  That's Canes miracle '06 run health there.

Fortunately the team is young & should stay relatively healthy due to the resiliency of youth.  But I'd be surprised if they go more than a handful of games from here with nobody (not including Hunwick nor Wilson in this) on IR.  (Would also be surprised if we saw many/any more than the 4 we'll be missing now at any one time due to the youth.) The sport is too brutal to go completely unscathed.  Opportunity for the kids on the farm.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed it was bound to happen... nice now the Sabres have some young depth.. doesnt feel as desperate.  Nice job JBot... flu season is out there and would bet Scandy may be touched by it which is why he is nowhere near the team... dont need a typhoid Mary near them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a fairly normal (or even light) injury situation, especially when you consider none of the 'star' players are hurt. 

I would argue that overall, the injury Gods have been pretty kind to us this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it was just a matter of time before the injury bug bit us.

I also think several of our guy's are playing through some ailments. Teams have really been targeting and taking liberties with some of our top guys (Jack, Skinner, Casey(because he's a rookie), Erod, Sobotka's game has looked worse other then FO but he does play a Physical game and gets a rough ride from a lot of teams. 

It effects guys differently as some players games appear off or a gun shy. Bad Passes, Not finishing hits, passing too soon or blindly to shy away from a hit..

TBH that's why teams get physical especially of they see it works. If the blatant penalties would get called(cross check in 3rd on Skinner was way worse that the one called on Bogo at the end of the period) and we can rise above it that physical edge from other teams would settle down.       

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what happens when you don’t practice on all of your non game days.

#someonewasgonnasayiteventually

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is what happens when you don’t practice on all of your non game days.

#someonewasgonnasayiteventually

????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

????

I believe his sarcasm is around a notion I saw in some threads that we looked soft and bad because we didn't practice and work hard enough all the the time..

You know the old coach mentality that "The beatings will continue until the moral improves"  followed by Phil is too soft....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depth is a weakness.

One of the ways this team falls apart is to incur simultaneous injuries to two of Ristolainen/Bogosian/Scandella/McCabe, as this forces playing two of Hunwick/Tennyson/Pilut and pushes Beaulieu and/or Nelson into 2nd pair minutes in pairings that aren't likely to be good.

Another way this team falls apart is to incur injuries to either Eichel or Skinner, or two of Sheary/Mittelstadt/Reinhart/Pominville. Then, Remi Elie and maybe another call up are in full time and/or you ask, say, Sheary (0.98 G/60) to replace Skinner (2.47 G/60) or Reinhart? (2.44P/60) to replace Eichel (3.47P/60).

 

Organizationally, this is something we need to be able to overcome to be a perennial contender, but I don't think we have that yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really bad to say, and, obviously, it's not intended to come off as it will read, but, I've been looking forward to testing our depth.  

There is no way the opening night roster is set in stone for the season, I think the TB game last night put the feather in that cap, so this gives us a chance to see who on that roster is truly replaceable by the kids in the AHL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I agree its part of learning development of the team which is why though they are playing good, the Sabres need a few more guys that are more then JAGs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Depth is a weakness.

One of the ways this team falls apart is to incur simultaneous injuries to two of Ristolainen/Bogosian/Scandella/McCabe, as this forces playing two of Hunwick/Tennyson/Pilut and pushes Beaulieu and/or Nelson into 2nd pair minutes in pairings that aren't likely to be good.

Another way this team falls apart is to incur injuries to either Eichel or Skinner, or two of Sheary/Mittelstadt/Reinhart/Pominville. Then, Remi Elie and maybe another call up are in full time and/or you ask, say, Sheary (0.98 G/60) to replace Skinner (2.47 G/60) or Reinhart? (2.44P/60) to replace Eichel (3.47P/60).

 

Organizationally, this is something we need to be able to overcome to be a perennial contender, but I don't think we have that yet.

Eich has 3.47 P/60?? That's outstanding.

1 hour ago, ... said:

This is really bad to say, and, obviously, it's not intended to come off as it will read, but, I've been looking forward to testing our depth.  

There is no way the opening night roster is set in stone for the season, I think the TB game last night put the feather in that cap, so this gives us a chance to see who on that roster is truly replaceable by the kids in the AHL.

I get this exact feeling. You don't want to sound happy that McCabe/Scandy/Sheary are out, and you're not, but we've all wanted to see Pilut, Nylander, Smith, maybe Olofsson etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Eich has 3.47 P/60?? That's outstanding.

I get this exact feeling. You don't want to sound happy that McCabe/Scandy/Sheary are out, and you're not, but we've all wanted to see Pilut, Nylander, Smith, maybe Olofsson etc.

I don't want Sheary out, but I agree I'm very interested to see how these kids so, especially Pilut.  I said in the roster thread that I thought Pilut could supplant Baloo this season.  I admit Baloo is playing better and executing PH's system.  I also like what I've learned about Baloo's work in the community and that has made me root for the guy.  That said, I think he is the odd man out if Pilut proves NHL ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sheary did skate this AM in Florida 

On his own, or did something else tweak/ go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

On his own, or did something else tweak/ go wrong?

On his own, no AM skate for the team 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes it sound not too bad. Sounds like all 3 of McCabe, Scandella, and Sheary should hopefully be back pretty soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to have Sheary back tomorrow.  Pommers and Scandella are two pretty big holes, but not a game breaker. Hopefully McCabe is ready to go on Monday.  We do need him especially with Scandella out.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a 10-game winning streak it's time to withdraw some of those banked points by playing upcoming prospects in place of the injured.  I don't want our first line out injured, but I'm eager to see what comes up from the farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PH said McCabe is week to week.  This is a huge blow.  Nelson is also week to week, which means he probably broke some ribs.

Scandella and Hunwick are day to day and Wilson still out indefinitely.

So the D right now is 

Dahlin, Risto, Bogo, Baloo, Pilut and ....? Tennyson? Guhle?  Dougherty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×