GDT - Sabres @ Panthers - November 30, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST)

Sabres Fan in NS

It feels like we play our worst hockey, any given year, in this building, for some reason. 

Florida is no team to sleep on, despite the standings. Barkov, Huberdeau, and Hoffman are more than enough to blow us out. In particular, Barkov has a way of making sure the Sabres never touch the puck while he's on the ice. I'd seek to avoid matching Jack with him. Even though their record is bad, they can fly, and they can beat any team that doesn't show up completely ready to play. 

I'm confident our guys will be completely ready to play. Worried about injuries. Particularly McCabe. It could be argued that he's been our best defenseman this year, and he is certainly who Risto has the most chemistry with. 

Maybe Sheary is back? 

I love Elie's speed and pep, but last night he was just missing hockey plays that Berglund would have made, and it hurt us. I hope to see his role as injury fill-in replaced by a Rochester forward. Zemgus and Larry would like their Bergy back. 

There's no coincidence that Tampa games were ERod and Pominville's worst games this year (IMO) - I think both will look a lot better playing a team that's actually from this earth. 

We absolutely need to show up and put in the work, and if we do that, it should work out in our favor. Then rest up for a huge challenge next week before a bit longer of a rest. I'd really like 4 of the next 6 points. 

Randall, I can feel it already, the start to this game. A sea of empty seats, that jarring low camera angle, sort of a dull hangover-feel to the Sabres' game. They've been so spoiled by lively crowds, both at home and away, I wonder how they'll respond to a hockey night in Miami on a Friday in November. My prediction is that Panthers jump on us early and we of course come back but lose another close one — the miracle moments drying up. The narrative starts to become: when will this team play a more complete game?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

They might be a little tired but after playing Tampa last night they should be more than mentally ready for Florida because of it. 

I am more worried about the Physical toll Bumps, bruises, hurting body parts right now then the mental or tired aspect.     

I am hoping our young guys recover fast.  This definitely a marathon not a sprint and we are not even 1/3 of the way through it yet. 

I am hoping panthers do not have as much speed as we saw last night and we do not lose most of the races to the puck and play a smart road game, quick zone exits. 

Let's Go Buff-a-lo, show us your for real... 

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Randall, I can feel it already, the start to this game. A sea of empty seats, that jarring low camera angle, sort of a dull hangover-feel to the Sabres' game. They've been so spoiled by lively crowds, both at home and away, I wonder how they'll respond to a hockey night in Miami on a Friday in November. My prediction is that Panthers jump on us early and we of course come back but lose another close one — the miracle moments drying up. The narrative starts to become: when will this team play a more complete game?

I understand your trepidation (sp?), but I have the exact opposite feeling.

The Sabres come out flying and win going away in a statement game.  5 - 1 final.  A hatty for Eich and a 'Miller shutout' for Ullie.

• Like (+1) 2

• spndnchz unpinned and pinned this topic

Jack has never been on the ice for a Sabres goal against Barkov at ES and has a 40 CF%. Barkov's line has scored 6 times in those same minutes.

And to reiterate what Hoss says, Tennyson was the single worst defenseman to play on last year's last place team. If he plays over the kid we convinced to sign here after being SHL D of the year, and who is pacing for the highest scoring season from a defenseman in AHL history as of like a week ago, well...

Reward the kid, Phil. You won't die if you have to play a Rochester prospect. That's how this is supposed to work!

I'm confident he'll play Pilut. 

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I understand your trepidation (sp?), but I have the exact opposite feeling.

The Sabres come out flying and win going away in a statement game.  5 - 1 final.  A hatty for Eich and a 'Miller shutout' for Ullie.

Will there be a WTF wave though?

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jack has never been on the ice for a Sabres goal against Barkov at ES and has a 40 CF%. Barkov's line has scored 6 times in those same minutes.

And to reiterate what Hoss says, Tennyson was the single worst defenseman to play on last year's last place team. If he plays over the kid we convinced to sign here after being SHL D of the year, and who is pacing for the highest scoring season from a defenseman in AHL history as of like a week ago, well...

Reward the kid, Phil. You won't die if you have to play a Rochester prospect. That's how this is supposed to work!

I'm confident he'll play Pilut. 

I suspect Terry is pulling the strings here, for very obvious reasons.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It's nice to see Pysyk on the second pairing.  Is that real, or just the state of the Panther roster.  I always liked him and thought of his as a good second pair guy eventually.

Also, very nice to see a Moosehead alum, Weegar, on the third pairing.  He was drafted in the 7th round in 2013 after playing a big role in Halifax winning the Memorial Cup that spring.  Good for him, as he has seemed to have found a home on the Panther blueline.

They've been moving him all over the place. He's actually been a healthy scratch for almost half the season. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Luongo is out for a few games, we get Reimer.

Reimer has been beyond awful this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

They've been moving him all over the place. He's actually been a healthy scratch for almost half the season. 

Reimer has been beyond awful this year. 

Which him.  I posted about Pysyk and Weegar?

Hopefully that awfulness trend continues tonight.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Thompson becoming good this quickly is really making it easier to play around with forward lines

Yeah but I don't know how much of that I actually want to see (moving too many pieces on too many lines)..

We all agreed here when Phil started making changes when they were not needed that it messed up chemistry and timing of those lines. And lets not forget we all still pine for Bergland back on that 4th line.

Its great that it didn't cost us during the streak other than exciting edge of the seat OT' and SO grey hairs. I understand the need to develop depth when it works like it looks like TT is playing better but I also feel its the reason we seem to have regressed with puck possession and shot total and why I see blind passes to empty wings or back to points or up boards with no one covering.... 

Yeah, I am a if it ain't broke don't fix it guy... just ask the wife...... I would like new kitchen cabinets,    me.... can't we just throw a coat of paint on that to match...        

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.