Tears?

PASabreFan

The sound in the Aud was giving me goosebumps here in Texas.  Who knows how far this team will go?  I don't, but I have a feeling.  I think this is the team that will once and for all push past the "almost" of Buffalo sports.  There is no more "almost" in this team.  There is just Win.

• Like (+1) 5

I didn't get any work done tonight because I realized that this is the stuff that I watched 164 consecutive games of tank with the hope of seeing again. We're living the moments that make hockey one of our favorite things on earth. I'm trying to bask and soak it all in as much as I can. Rick being here still does indeed make it that much better.

And the right hockey memory/video at the right moment can bring tears to my eyes in the dead of summer, after mowing the lawn and changing oil in the car and before doing other summer things like BBQ that have no ties with hockey whatsoever. 

That's why I found this place and post here haha

• Like (+1) 6

This is so odd. I had the same vision of a game 7 and time ticking down and had a wave of emotions flood over me before pulling back from the precipice and back to reality. This is not something I ever do.  

The tears did well up a bit when I saw the teen with the completely bald head getting fist bumps before the 3rd period from the team and a hand shake from Coach Phil, then hearing that Beualieu is going to ring the bell with her in a month at Roswell. 

• Like (+1) 7

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I feel like everything conspired to transport me in some trick of the mind to that future moment we all dream about. It wasn't Game 25. It was indeed a Game 7. That Game 7. Yes, I visited the tunnel, and the light was blindingly bright and beautiful. I couldn't stay. But, oh, it was glorious.

That's a lovely tribute and confession. Few and far between here can offer that quality of content.

There's something that's been pinging around in my head for some time, and I still can't quite articulate it. In essence, it distills itself to a few thoughts that I regularly have when enjoying something like last night's game: What if this is it? You know what? Maybe this is it. What more, what else am I waiting for?

It's sort of a variation on the old saw "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." Maybe it's, "joy in sports fandom is what happens when you're waiting for the championship clinching win."

I'm sure it will be amazing when it arrives. But what we're enjoying now is more than sufficient for the day.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 8

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Mostly, though, and this will sound odd, I feel like everything conspired to transport me in some trick of the mind to that future moment we all dream about. It wasn't Game 25. It was indeed a Game 7. That Game 7. Yes, I visited the tunnel, and the light was blindingly bright and beautiful. I couldn't stay. But, oh, it was glorious.

Did you have a vision of Eichel skating around with the Cup, holding it at waist level with his head held backward while he looked up into the rafters, red-faced and with a tear in his eye?  Because if you did we were visited by the same ghost.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The sound in the Aud was giving me goosebumps here in Texas.  Who knows how far this team will go?  I don't, but I have a feeling.  I think this is the team that will once and for all push past the "almost" of Buffalo sports.  There is no more "almost" in this team.  There is just Win.

Its KeyBank Center FYI...the Aud building doesn't even exist anymore.

Edited by matter2003

I had trouble sleeping last night. Everything about that game was just so exciting. 

There's something special about watching players take their game to another level, and that's what the Sabres are doing right now. We've been waiting a long time for guys like Jack to consistently show us that extra gear. When teams are good, when they're in the playoffs, you see it. You see good players giving that next level on every shift, every puck battle. And it's special. 

The Sabres, right now, are special. 

• Like (+1) 4

Sometimes I feel a little bad feeling the same feelings since I didn't grow up with hockey or the Sabres like all of you. Sports were seen as worthless in my home (I was brought up to be the perfect Jane Austen character instead, oops) and I didn't even follow the NHL until I got well into college (despite following the Wings a bit here and there and high school hockey). So I always feel like a bit of a poseur. But joy is joy. 

But as I was cleaning and locking up the studio last night, my lucky Sabres earrings on, I had the game on. I finished up and had it on my phone as I shoveled the snow off my car. Just the snow in the parking lot lights, an airplane whining overhead on approach, me brushing and RJ's voice somewhat muffled in my pocket. You know that sound- silence except an almost sparkling noise of ice crystals spattering a cold car. Listened the whole way home and thought I had enough time to get in the apartment before OT started. Barely left my car when shouting and screaming starting coming from the apartments around me. I bloody knew it. 10 in a row. Walked in the door and dark's words were "Did you hear it? Did you just hear it?"

I've had a lot of tear up moments thinking about that incredible infectious enthusiasm you feel in a crowd of happy people. I felt some of it when the Bills made the playoffs last year, the grown men crying in the streets kinda thing- and I'd argue that was more luck. But man... this year... even if I don't get to a post season game, just thinking about being in a sea of Sabres people watching just messes me up. And it's not really for me. It's because I know what it will mean to this city, to dark, to all of you. To the fact that most other fanbases are actually rooting for us (not Toronto obvs)- to think about all the "holy crap these guys are good" articles that are and will be written. 

It's just really flippin' cool, guys. I'm ecstatic, and I'm even happier for you. I'll be investing in some waterproof mascara pretty soon I think. 

Edited by josie
  • Like (+1) 5

I didn't realize why I had trouble sleeping last night till I just read PA's post and this thread. Well spoken as usual sir and a great thread. I agree with all the sentiments in this thread.

Sports are considered an escape. Having hung in here through the tank years there was very little for us to escape too and lost hope is a terrible place to be. But many here persevered and we complained and debated and did all we could to keep our hopes alive. And when you see it finally happening it can almost feel unreal, sharing and caring isn't easy when hope is hard to find. 

Frustrations being released, demons being exorcised, hopes being realized, camaraderie being reinforced in shared passions, those are the things tears are made of. 

And yes I did tear up as well several times during yesterdays game and it felt great.  

Thanks for this thread PA I knew there was more behind that Curmudgeon exterior......... Oh and yes I am going to go there, don't forget that Thank you letter to Mr. Pegula...        ?      

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yup, I'm still up. Between Sabres Fever, word that "This Is Us" solved one of its biggest mysteries tonight by placing a character in my hometown (the show-runner's mom grew up here, he's visited and he needed a authentic place where an alcoholic Vietnam vet could live in a trailer) and a trip to Walmart in the snow for cat food, it might be a while before I unwind. Plus, I'm not ready yet to risk dreaming about the night people I saw at that particular store just now.

So, confessional time. I'm a little embarrassed by this, but maybe others will admit to the same. After Beaulieu's goal and Rick's cloud call, during one of the We Want 10 chants, I suddenly and unexpectedly became very emotional. Tears welled up. I think if I hadn't caught myself going down the rabbit hole of Sabres hockey, I would have totally lost it.

I know that part of it was Rick sounding like the "kooky" Rick of old. I mean, Beaulieu "coming out of the clouds" — where did that come from? Rick had cancer, he's 76, the Sabres are good again, AND WE STILL HAVE THIS TREASURE. And this: who of a certain generation didn't think of the Aud with those chants growing louder and louder? It was all crazy-nostalgic. (I suspect the theme of the evening might have played a part as well.)

Mostly, though, and this will sound odd, I feel like everything conspired to transport me in some trick of the mind to that future moment we all dream about. It wasn't Game 25. It was indeed a Game 7. That Game 7. Yes, I visited the tunnel, and the light was blindingly bright and beautiful. I couldn't stay. But, oh, it was glorious.

***** puss

I've lived in a few different cities, and I've traveled to many more.  There are sports fans in every city, and those cities widely vary in dedication and attention paid to their teams.

There is no other city I've experienced that comes close to Buffalo in terms of how day-in-day-out fanatical and informed fans are of the Bills and Sabres.  It's an environment and experience that transcends fandom.  It's sincerely a religion.  It's a church of spirituality.

Now, some that don't worship the way Buffalo does, particularly those that never lived there, might criticize or look down on a region full of people that are that crazy about a for-profit circus run by the uber rich.  They might even joke that we must have nothing better to do.

But what they don't realize is how these two teams winning is internalized in ourselves and in our sense of community.  When our teams win, we don't just experience a feeling of happiness or entertainment or a lame feeling of superiority over some other municipality.  When the Buffalo Sabres or Buffalo Bills win, each of us recognize the immense positive impact it has on our community.  When the teams win, a town full of hardworking people who fight their way day by day through weather and frustration and uneasy life are rewarded with a night of fellowship and peaceful sleep.  The community is collectively tucked in under a warm blanket.  We each recognize this.

We don our blue and red or blue and gold frocks.  And we kneel to pray, in mid-air, before our plastic folding altars.  And we spread our religion with defaced signs on the 33.  And we carry on our reverance to our children.

Our desire to win is not fueled by selfishness.  When we cheer to win, it's a cheer for the community.  These teams represent a part of ourselves, our community, and our identity more than sports and entertainment business.  These teams are part of our living breathing soul.

A town brutally marred by economic slaughter, racial segregation, and the equivalent of meteorological fisting is given -not the answers to these problems- but blessed with an endless hope fueled by an irrevocable common faith that will one day overcome them.

When I weep for victories of today and memories of victory past, I do so knowing the that the good people of Western New York are united and at peace, refreshed and refueled to take on the challenges of life together.

***** the Pats.  ***** the Leafs.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Great thread PA.  I've been a Bills and then Sabres fan for more years than I want to admit and traveled/lived outside of Buffalo for many a year.

There is something in a Buffalo Sports fans' DNA that is just different compared to other cities.   My friends whom I have known in Colorado admit it.

The reactions I get from other teams fans for the Andy Dalton Charity, Poncho Billa Draft Day moment and things like that are always met with a little envy.

I have been wrapped in the "always a bridesmaid" blanket for a long time waiting for our turn to get to the altar and do you know what, I don't care anymore.

I try to watch every game the way I did when I was a kid.  ONE game at a time with a kid's hope.  It's so much more fun this way!  What will be will be.

The last thing I have to say is, "Thanks Terry and Kim Pegula" for keeping this feeling alive.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

I try to watch every game the way I did when I was a kid.  ONE game at a time with a kid's hope.  It's so much more fun this way!  What will be will be.

This. It doesn’t mean willful blindness, it just means constant hope. It really is so much more fun than the alternative.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This. It doesn’t mean willful blindness, it just means constant hope. It really is so much more fun than the alternative.

Exactly.  Personally it may be an age thing with me,  but maybe it really is about the journey and not the destination.

Either way it's fun watching Jack and his Hula-hoop!

I have to say, watching that game last night I thought there is something that feels special about this team.

It's not just the streak, and yet it is about the streak too.  But there is a lot of young talent on this team and they are having a lot of fun right now and playing at a consistently high level.  Their youth is actually an advantage right now.

If we make the playoffs, and IF our PP gets hot at the right time, we can go straight to the Finals.  It's happened before.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.