Please do not bypass the language filter

SDS

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I’m not so sure I’d label this one as pushing the line. The filter exists and we are all aware of it. That means that the rule is already in place. People know what gets filtered and knowingly modify the word so that it gets through. That’s clear intent to violate the rule they know is in place. The rest of what you have mentioned, Josie, is a bit more cloudy since no rule is in place, or at least not one that the majority is aware of. 

That said, if someone ever decides to circumvent the Pomenstein filter to make the original misspelling show up in the post, they should be banned, tarred, and feathered on the spot. 

It ain't a rule, it's a feature. Unless it IS a rule clearly written down somewhere in a set of guidelines in which case, I apologize, go ahead and put me on trial, sir. It's just as cloudy as pertaining to the other stuff I've mentioned that you personally have no beef with. You could argue it's an expectation but... even that is "cloudy". Do we really need a darn set of rules? Are people being that awful that we need to instate demarcations by which to penalize them over?

It doesn't really push a line. It's stupid. The "line" is "why freak out about This in the guise of community improvement over That, which is equally as bad for the community if not moreso". This forum isn't cursing heavy. It isn't full of barstool sports half naked chick gifs. The threads aren't cesspools. And it isn't threatening to go that way. Does anyone here actually care either way about this specific issue? No, probably not. Because it's an internet forum in the year 2018 where people curse and post attractive women and constantly bounce off each other in terms of what they find ok versus not. And they will continue to do so. Outliers of an offensive will be dealt with.   

I'm cool with following SDS's request. I get it. I'm not out here with my f bomb flag screaming as the bullets mow me down for one last push at clever use of asterisks, spaces and zeroes because my life is meaningless without it. But hey, if we're at the point that we have to cool it with the still-filtered-filter-bypassing because it's such a detriment to community, there were bigger, double D battles that probably should've seen action first (heyoo).

Also, if you're going to talk to me or about me, please quote me next time or @ me so I don't miss it. 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is a lot of words to read and my brain is fried today. 

Doesn't the filter outright remove bad words completely? That's actually why I originally started subbing in my own - I'd type a word, expecting a ##### to show up, only nothing would show up and my sentence would be gibberish with only a single whitespace where the word was. 

And whether it does or it doesn't, SDS is fine with us typing Oh ##### it! or something like that right? Just none of the switching c&k in the f-word? Or should I not do that either? Just to be clear.

That's my takeaway. But boy, I'm going to have a ball coming up with fascinating substitutions now haha 

8 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think to help SDS accomplish his vision, we should now list any and all variations on all profane words so that the filter list can be expanded.  I'll start.

piss
tits

I'm thinking of that scene in the King's Speech where he cusses everything out with Logue trying to get over his stammer 

17 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think to help SDS accomplish his vision, we should now list any and all variations on all profane words so that the filter list can be expanded.  I'll start.

piss
tits

Shirt

Fork

Ash

Bench

Dink

Mother forking shirtballs.

Why no, no I have not been watching too much of The Good Place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

piss
tits

Leino

Hull

Toronto

Bab *****

@josie, sorry about the lack of quotes. It’s too cumbersome for me when I’m posting from the phone. I’ll try this approach with the tag from now on from the phone.

Anyway, like you said earlier, it’s ok to disagree. If anything I’m saying here somehow looks like I’m putting you on trial, that’s not my intention. But to say that no one is bothered by this, clearly that’s not the case or else this thread doesn’t exist.

Also, I never said that I have no issue with any of the things you mentioned, just that they appear to be less prevalent. If they were phased out, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.