Please do not bypass the language filter

SDS

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've never dropped an F bomb on this board or any other, but I stand by my comment.  If this board had people posting like that with ever single post, Scott, myself, Freeman, you, Duda etc would have had those people banished along time ago.  Sometimes it's best to live and let live.  I'm sick of people complaining about every single thing.  Yes we need decorum but we also need a little thicker skin.     

I think he only mentioned one thing.

• nfreeman changed the title to Please do not bypass the language filter
8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I grew up with a dad who never swore in front of my mom or sisters and ended up mostly like him. But I can be really foul mouthed in competitive situations.

I vividly remember slamming my stick against the fence in frustration in a hockey game and bellowing out a massive f-bomb only to see my six-year-old niece unexpectedly standing right there staring at me with wide eyes. 

There is a time and place and this is a public forum.

It's probably completely subconscious, but I think that language winds up lowering the bar a bit on the level of the conversation.  It's more likely to spark some of the petty arguments that can derail a thread.  I still cringe most of the time I see them written out here.  After riding the subways in Boston for so long where you'd be stuck next to people where every other word in a sentence (if you can call it that) was an f-bomb, it starts to become very lazy and unoriginal.  I think most people here are capable of better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I would like to adopt that Toronto analogy.

Absolutely.  It's not originally mine.  A radio talk show host here in Halifax started calling it that years ago.  I may be the only person that keeps it going.

And, for me, it has everything to do with everything about Toronto and not just the sports teams (I actually do root for the Raptors and TFC, sort of the Blue Jays).

I was born in Toronto and left 20 years ago for NS.  I have never been back.  To me it's just the most horrible place in every way. 

• Like (+1) 1

As  a parent with 4 kids I was and still am very conscious about swearing in front of my kids or in public. 

I apologize if I may have slipped here in a post or two over time. 

I have a little lessons learned story for other parents. I am a bit of a passionate driver and we have all seen people in various states of road rage. Mine is a mutter to myself when driving and running into terrible drivers on the road.  In a conscious effort to not swear in front of the kids and when presented with bad driving tactics around me I would say things like " Hey Sparky watch the road" ,  "Sparky that's what turn signals are for" , "No you don't Sparky", etc.. You get it "Sparky" became my go to word for bad drivers. 

One day after Sparky cut me off and I of course ranted, out of the car seat in the back my then 4 year old says to my wife, Mom how does Dad know that guy's name is Sparky? 

My wife turns to me and says, Dad please go ahead explain to your Daughter how you know that guy's name? 

That's when I learned that those little ankle bitters listen too and watch everything we do and we have more influence on them then I had paid attention too.

Good rule SDS and I am in. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Absolutely.  It's not originally mine.  A radio talk show host here in Halifax started calling it that years ago.  I may be the only person that keeps it going.

And, for me, it has everything to do with everything about Toronto and not just the sports teams (I actually do root for the Raptors and TFC, sort of the Blue Jays).

I was born in Toronto and left 20 years ago for NS.  I have never been back.  To me it's just the most horrible place in every way. 

Admittedly, I haven't visited Toronto, from Buffalo, since 03. It's been a long time. I don't have any direct connection to Toronto, such as yourself.

But adopting that analogy has everything to do with the Leafs. I used to run in to an oddly large number of their fans around Buffalo, especially back in the day when I used to go to the Buffalo Brewery and of course, some Leafs/Sabres games I attended at Key Bank Center.

I love the Canadian Sabres fans, and somewhat loathe the Leafs fans lol. I guess it's just a "it is what it is" scenario. But I like that analogy, thank you for bringing it forth.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

With the Sabres change in fortune we are getting more traffic lately. Just because you don’t see everyone posting doesn’t mean they’re not reading. Please do not “disguise” F-bombs by changing the spelling, etc. we have had complaints. 

Do we need to put up a Liger warning also??

???

Just saw this, and I'll do my best to adhere. I definitely cuss too much, on the internet and in real life. It's not ladylike (ha). But in all seriousness, I do need to clean up my mouth a bit. Maybe I can get more creative with my insults. (Instead of F Toronto, Toronto I Bite My Thumb At you, you bunch backed excuses for unable worms!)

But I have to say.. if a kid is on this board, they're on the internet, and all the parent locks in the world won't save them from being exposed to loads of cursing and worse. And I never thought this place was that bad. F bombs and other 4 letters happen, sure, but the really nasty ones are rare and usually meet immediate condemnation if used. One would have to avoid twitter, reddit, facebook, instagram, snapchat, and any comment section on any news article ever. And don't go to a live hockey game. Or a sports eatery during a hockey game. Or school (god forbid middle school). And never watch a Bills game haha 

And if it's a work issue- I think the bosses would be more upset someone's browsing an unrelated work website on company time than seeing a cussword. That's why bathroom stalls and mobile phones exist.

I'm more offended by half naked women as profile icons and gifs, personally. But I don't say anything usually because it's sports and y'all are red blooded men on an internet hockey forum. 

Either way, I'm sorry, no more asterisks from me.

Edited by josie
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hey Josie,

If it makes it easier for you feel free to use my all-encompasing ... The Great Satan ... when talking about Toronto.

haha thank you- I think I'll have some fun digging into Shakespearean insults. He's got some doozies. Educational for young minds. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, SDS said:

With the Sabres change in fortune we are getting more traffic lately. Just because you don’t see everyone posting doesn’t mean they’re not reading. Please do not “disguise” F-bombs by changing the spelling, etc. we have had complaints. 

You should probably stop posting sexy ring girl pictures in the GDTs then. Since we're all worried about corrupting the minds of the children... 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You should probably stop posting sexy ring girl pictures in the GDTs then. Since we're all worried about corrupting the minds of the children... 

Yeah but come on dude, sexy babes and sports are inseparable and it's OK. No one complained about that. Beer, wings, boobs, goals. Kid's gotta learn some time. Cussing though... not in my house. We respect those attractive ladies and their hotpants and shall never discuss consensual copulation with them in such vulgar terms!

• Like (+1) 3

How about a warning at the beginning of the post.  

Such as:

”This post may contain language unsuitable for young children. Parental guidance is suggested.”

for Liger

”This poster uses language that may be unsuitable for young children (or overly sensitive parents). Parental guidance is suggested.”

1 minute ago, josie said:

Yeah but come on dude, sexy babes and sports are inseparable and it's OK. No one complained about that. Beer, wings, boobs, goals. Kid's gotta learn some time. Cussing though... not in my house. We respect those attractive ladies and their hotpants and shall never discuss consensual copulation with them in such vulgar terms!

BOOMER!!

Enjoy your few days with the dark one.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm a little surprised this has generated this much conversation. We've had a language filter installed since day one... It's easily been 14 years. Not sure about the software we had prior.

I'm not making a big deal out of it, but as it was observed previously - we have it for a reason. It elevates the conversation, it makes it more family and work friendly, etc... Personally, I like to type the words out if that what I'm feeling at the moment and I just let the filter do it's job. It's still satisfying. ? 

Also, I'm not picking on the community here - we've had to give many reminders over on the Bills side where the issue is 100x worse. The only reason I brought it up yesterday is because someone took the time out their day to bring it to my attention. Clearly, it was important enough to them to make that report. People wanting a better community is a good thing.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

I'm a little surprised this has generated this much conversation. We've had a language filter installed since day one... It's easily been 14 years. Not sure about the software we had prior.

I'm not making a big deal out of it, but as it was observed previously - we have it for a reason. It elevates the conversation, it makes it more family and work friendly, etc... Personally, I like to type the words out if that what I'm feeling at the moment and I just let the filter do it's job. It's still satisfying. ? 

Also, I'm not picking on the community here - we've had to give many reminders over on the Bills side where the issue is 100x worse. The only reason I brought it up yesterday is because someone took the time out their day to bring it to my attention. Clearly, it was important enough to them to make that report. People wanting a better community is a good thing.

Pick your battles. People have been bypassing swear filters on forums for as long as there have been internet forums. 

If you want to get all Puritan about something so trivial because one person complained about it, well... I guess, what did you expect?

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Can we have an uncensored adults only forum for those of us who are not offended?    Then it's easy for any parents to avoid if kids are looking over their shoulders.

And a kid who is browsing on their own would never be tempted to click an "adult only" link. Nope. Definitely not. 

I don't see why not swearing is so bothersome. 

• Like (+1) 2