Please do not bypass the language filter

SDS

1 hour ago, josie said:

But I have to say.. if a kid is on this board, they're on the internet, and all the parent locks in the world won't save them from being exposed to loads of cursing and worse. And I never thought this place was that bad. F bombs and other 4 letters happen, sure, but the really nasty ones are rare and usually meet immediate condemnation if used. 

Lord, is this ever true. Our younger ones were recently allowed to enter the realm of Fortnite (or however it's spelled) through their game system. God, do they ever love that game. And I can see the appeal.

Another thing they've asked permission to do is watch Fortnite videos on YouTube. Which, oookkkaaaaayyyy. I promptly put an end to that, at least as a matter of policy (I am sure they still sneak them), because holy moses are those videos ever foul-mouthed.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

And a kid who is browsing on their own would never be tempted to click an "adult only" link. Nope. Definitely not. 

I don't see why not swearing is so bothersome. 

As a parent of 2 boys, it's my responsibility to police their internet browsing.   There are many tools available for parents to prevent their children from visiting unsavory websites if they chose to do so.     

I'm fine with the current filter (even tho it's censorship), but to ban posting of words that look similar to cuss words is just ridiculous.    Who gets to decide what's allowed and what isn't?  

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Lord, is this ever true. Our younger ones were recently allowed to enter the realm of Fortnite (or however it's spelled) through their game system. God, do they ever love that game. And I can see the appeal.

Another thing they've asked permission to do is watch Fortnite videos on YouTube. Which, oookkkaaaaayyyy. I promptly put an end to that, at least as a matter of policy (I am sure they still sneak them), because holy moses are those videos ever foul-mouthed.

It is what it is. People don't filter language anymore. Neither does internet advertising. 

Your kids will be corrupted. There's no stopping it. 

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

As a parent of 2 boys, it's my responsibility to police their internet browsing.   There are many tools available for parents to prevent their children from visiting unsavory websites if they chose to do so.     

I'm fine with the current filter (even tho it's censorship), but to ban posting of words that look similar to cuss words is just ridiculous.    Who gets to decide what's allowed and what isn't?  

SDS, who runs this site has asked nicely and only because the issue was brought to his attention by a member here.  In the end SDS will decide what is allowed and what isn't, if we can't just simply behave a little bit better.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It is what it is. People don't filter language anymore. Neither does internet advertising. 

Your kids will be corrupted. exposed to it. There's no stopping it that. 

I understand what you're saying. There's value nonetheless in parents saying "that's off limits because the language is so foul [or insert other reason]." There's a message being conveyed and reinforced.

Also, FTFY.

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Not everyone can be omnipresent. And the "tools" available have always been, and continue to be, garbage. 

And seriously, let's ratchet down the rhetoric. It was a simple request to be a little more respectful of the various populations using the website, not some grand affront to your personal freedom. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Pick your battles. People have been bypassing swear filters on forums for as long as there have been internet forums. 

If you want to get all Puritan about something so trivial because one person complained about it, well... I guess, what did you expect?

I don't believe I am battling anyone and I have tried my best to de-esculate the conversation. It was intended as a polite request. I apologize if members are reading it as anything other than that. I think the broad leeway that the community has operated under for 15+ years suggests anything other than a Puritan mindset. I'm sorry that this has struck such a negative chord with you.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don't believe I am battling anyone and I have tried my best to de-esculate the conversation. It was intended as a polite request. I apologize if members are reading it as anything other than that. I think the broad leeway that the community has operated under for 15+ years suggests anything other than a Puritan mindset. I'm sorry that this has struck such a negative chord with you.

You've done us a great service over the years by making this place available to all of us.  I've never understood times like this where a very simple request from you is met with even the slightest amount of hostility.  Is transposing the "u" and the "c" truly that important to people?

And as for Toronto, Blow Leafs Blow will always be my favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

Just saw this, and I'll do my best to adhere. I definitely cuss too much, on the internet and in real life. It's not ladylike (ha). But in all seriousness, I do need to clean up my mouth a bit. Maybe I can get more creative with my insults. (Instead of F Toronto, Toronto I Bite My Thumb At you, you bunch backed excuses for unable worms!)

But I have to say.. if a kid is on this board, they're on the internet, and all the parent locks in the world won't save them from being exposed to loads of cursing and worse. And I never thought this place was that bad. F bombs and other 4 letters happen, sure, but the really nasty ones are rare and usually meet immediate condemnation if used. One would have to avoid twitter, reddit, facebook, instagram, snapchat, and any comment section on any news article ever. And don't go to a live hockey game. Or a sports eatery during a hockey game. Or school (god forbid middle school). And never watch a Bills game haha 

And if it's a work issue- I think the bosses would be more upset someone's browsing an unrelated work website on company time than seeing a cussword. That's why bathroom stalls and mobile phones exist.

I'm more offended by half naked women as profile icons and gifs, personally. But I don't say anything usually because it's sports and y'all are red blooded men on an internet hockey forum. 

Either way, I'm sorry, no more asterisks from me.

Note that SDS isn't asking for fewer asterisks, only that people not intentionally or unintentionally subvert the filters.  I agree with consensus that the asterisks aren't really targeted at each other, which is nice.

You do you, ladylike or not.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

You've done us a great service over the years by making this place available to all of us.  I've never understood times like this where a very simple request from you is met with even the slightest amount of hostility.  Is transposing the "u" and the "c" truly that important to people?

And as for Toronto, Blow Leafs Blow will always be my favorite.

It’s not that.  I think this board has done a very good job over the years of policing ourselves.  Most of us have kids and share the concerns the gentlemen complained about, but I think his complaint is an over reaction to a very limited number of inappropriate posts.  As Scott said the Bills board is 1000% worse.  

I’d have rather seen the referenced parent use the posts as a chance to teach decorum.  Explain to them what is and what isn’t appropriate.  This is just one parent’s opinion.

I also understand Scott’s point of view.  He wants and deserves as many posters and viewers as reasonable possible and wants to forum to grow.  Having it family friendly is a reasonable goal.  

Maybe I just don’t like people telling me what to do. I guess it’s the Libertarian in me.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Note that SDS isn't asking for fewer asterisks, only that people not intentionally or unintentionally subvert the filters.  I agree with consensus that the asterisks aren't really targeted at each other, which is nice.

You do you, ladylike or not.

ALL OF THE ASTERISK!!!  

757404562_ScreenShot2018-11-28at1_10_59PM.thumb.png.8e139051eeb1c825eff51afb9b621c84.png

13 hours ago, SDS said:

The issue was his kid visits the board. It’s not an unreasonable request. I’d like to think this crew can appeal to all ages and genders. 

In my opinion, if the kid is smart enough to realize somebody is disguising a swear word, chances are he hears that word on a regular basis. 

Yes, thicker skin. But I'll try. 

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s not that.  I think this board has done a very good job over the years of policing ourselves.  Most of us have kids and share the concerns the gentlemen complained about, but I think his complaint is an over reaction to a very limited number of inappropriate posts.  As Scott said the Bills board is 1000% worse.  

I’d have rather seen the referenced parent use the posts as a chance to teach decorum.  Explain to them what is and what isn’t appropriate.  This is just one parent’s opinion.

I also understand Scott’s point of view.  He wants and deserves as many posters and viewers as reasonable possible and wants to forum to grow.  Having it family friendly is a reasonable goal.  

Maybe I just don’t like people telling me what to do. I guess it’s the Libertarian in me.

I agree. Most of the time this is one of the most civil forums I've been on. To keep pushing the issue on a very clean forum is petty. 

Just now, Eleven said:

It’s a really simple request from the owner of the board.  I’m probably one of the worst offenders.  Can’t we just respect the request and move on?

Speaking as the people's champion, we respect the request and will abide by it.    It's a perfectly reasonable request. 

However, this is the internet, we have opinions, and like it or not, they will be heard.    That's why we're here.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It’s a really simple request from the owner of the board.  I’m probably one of the worst offenders.  Can’t we just respect the request and move on?

image.thumb.png.eb5682b868f7a37ac600438931a33b97.png

Seems pretty simple. The board already has generally good decorum, so if you need to swear, just use the filter so it turns into asterisks.

The filter just removes the word entirely right?  Like *****, or *****, or *****, or *****.

Just now, pi2000 said:

The filter just removes the word entirely right?  Like *****, or *****, or *****, or *****.

*****, i guess not ?‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

If broad leeway is what we're doing then leave us to it. And don't be a hypocrite. 

Convenient that you're ignoring your own behavior.