Please do not bypass the language filter

SDS

With the Sabres change in fortune we are getting more traffic lately. Just because you don’t see everyone posting doesn’t mean they’re not reading. Please do not “disguise” F-bombs by changing the spelling, etc. we have had complaints. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

SDS--do you mean don't write the f word with an asterisk in the vowel spot as I often do?  If so, I apologize and will try my best not to do so in the future.  Or do you mean something else?

Yes, that is one example. Or putting multiple uuuu’s, or transposing letters, etc...

thanks. 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

My b, was overcome in the moment. I'll go edit. 

Thanks. The board is pretty good for the most part, but since someone took the time to complain we should do our best to clean it up. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to say this, but some people need to get a life.  Complaining about an f bomb on a board is a little sad.

Some people might have tighter work restrictions and/or eight-year-olds looking over shoulders.  I'm going to try to heed Scott's request.  (Try.  Because I"m awfully partial to that asterisk.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Some people might have tighter work restrictions and/or eight-year-olds looking over shoulders.  I'm going to try to heed Scott's request.  (Try.  Because I"m awfully partial to that asterisk.)

I've never dropped an F bomb on this board or any other, but I stand by my comment.  If this board had people posting like that with ever single post, Scott, myself, Freeman, you, Duda etc would have had those people banished along time ago.  Sometimes it's best to live and let live.  I'm sick of people complaining about every single thing.  Yes we need decorum but we also need a little thicker skin.     

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've never dropped an F bomb on this board or any other, but I stand by my comment.  If this board had people posting like that with ever single post, Scott, myself, Freeman, you, Duda etc would have had those people banished along time ago.  Sometimes it's best to live and let live.  I'm sick of people complaining about every single thing.  Yes we need decorum but we also need a little thicker skin.     

I understand you--and I even agree--but I'm still going to try.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to say this, but some people need to get a life.  Complaining about an f bomb on a board is a little sad.

The issue was his kid visits the board. It’s not an unreasonable request. I’d like to think this crew can appeal to all ages and genders. 

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Me personally, I think that since the filter is active, it’s clearly there for a reason. I’ve always found it odd that people actually have to make the conscious effort to dance around it. I could never train myself to make the same exact typo every single time. 

That said, it is kind of funny to see someone complaining about people complaining. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wonder if the filter doesn't inadvertently encourage use of naughty words. I've been posting a joke expression after the Sabres win, and the f-bomb is asterisked-out. But it's obvious and implied, so people are almost certainly hearing it in their heads. What help is the filter? These words are used very sparingly here, and almost always at times of high passion or excitement. I don't think there's a problem. You'd think a parent would prevent a child from visiting a hockey forum meant for adults, assuming that the subject matter is adult is nature. That said, I guess we can all do better to make it friendly for everyone. Still... it's hockey!

• Like (+1) 3

I always enjoyed the filter on the old board because it made swearing so easy without ever actually swearing. Didn’t have to watch my words.

Now I have actually type out the asterisks.

Or maybe not in the future.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

I always enjoyed the filter on the old board because it made swearing so easy without ever actually swearing. Didn’t have to watch my words.

Now I have actually type out the asterisks.

Or maybe not in the future.

Thanks for succinctly putting that better than I did.

I grew up with a dad who never swore in front of my mom or sisters and ended up mostly like him. But I can be really foul mouthed in competitive situations.

I vividly remember slamming my stick against the fence in frustration in a hockey game and bellowing out a massive f-bomb only to see my six-year-old niece unexpectedly standing right there staring at me with wide eyes. 

There is a time and place and this is a public forum.

7 hours ago, SDS said:

The issue was his kid visits the board. It’s not an unreasonable request. I’d like to think this crew can appeal to all ages and genders. 

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You'd think a parent would prevent a child from visiting a hockey forum meant for adults, assuming that the subject matter is adult is nature. 

Seems you're assuming it's meant for adults, but SDS has a different idea about that.

Also, I'm completely ok with my 6 year old reading / hearing any words that you ***** can dream up, but I don't fault anyone else for their parenting choices.

• Like (+1) 1

I respect it sort of, my kids have heard most of all of it except maybe some versions in other languages... I have a special needs kid who didnt start talking til he was 5, and as my wife said when he was diagnosed she would be happy if the only thing he said was the f bomb... be careful what you wish for.. because he now speaks pretty decently and clearly can say the f bomb to her..  that being said ill try to watch it.