PSE Hires Company to Study Future of New Era Field and Key Bank Center

Brawndo

I think this was the worst kept secret in town. The Pegulas were always going to want to build a new stadium, but they were most likely waiting for the lease to get closer to expiration as well as the results of the latest mid-term elections (a changing of the guard there may have required re-negotiations of previously established handshake deals).

My bet is that the stadium is going nearby the Key Bank Center and the new PSE headquarters at the Labbatt Brew House, most likely in the Perry Projects/Conway Park area. That would consolidate the area into a sporting event/Pegula land district.

48 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Here we go:

http://www.psentertainment.com/newsX/62?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Also: I realize that KBC is part of the study. I tend to think that's not the focus.

(Quoted from the Bills thread. This deserves its own thread, for sure.)

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think KeyBank’s need for major renovations is bigger than most people think. The team has been so bad for so long I think people just kind of ignore it.

The recent renovations were a decent facelift but it’s as bland as imaginable.

A lot of the complaints around KBC being so quiet and lifeless is probably related to the relatively sterile nature of the building itself. Compared to other NHL rinks, there isn't very much uniqueness or visual interest.

37 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I think this was the worst kept secret in town. The Pegulas were always going to want to build a new stadium, but they were most likely waiting for the lease to get closer to expiration as well as the results of the latest mid-term elections (a changing of the guard there may have required re-negotiations of previously established handshake deals).

My bet is that the stadium is going nearby the Key Bank Center and the new PSE headquarters at the Labbatt Brew House, most likely in the Perry Projects/Conway Park area. That would consolidate the area into a sporting event/Pegula land district.

Kim Pegula let slip as much at one point prior to the mid-terms. It's pretty obvious that Cuomo made some promises to PSE that he said he'd fulfill after the 2018 election.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

A lot of the complaints around KBC being so quiet and lifeless is probably related to the relatively sterile nature of the building itself. Compared to other NHL rinks, there isn't very much uniqueness or visual interest.

It was a very good arena when it was built, but, the development urges ($$) of pro sports franchises being what they are, it quickly fell off the pace of being best in class.

Also, I don't think the arena being ho-hum in design and layout has much to do with it being quiet and lifeless. The most pain I ever experienced from sound was at game 6 of the 2006 ECF -- Briere's OT winner, sitting in the upper 300s -- eee gads was that loud.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

The article has a statement from PSE saying the Pegulas have invested $350 in privately-financed venue upgrades and expansions. That has to be mostly HarborCenter, right?

There was also this: "With both leases nearing expiration, we look forward to developing a plan and working with our public sector partners to solidify the futures of the Bills and Sabres.” Now, the teams aren't going anywhere, but that last part sounds a tiny bit like a reminder of sorts to local political types.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

The article has a statement from PSE saying the Pegulas have invested $350 in privately-financed venue upgrades and expansions. That has to be mostly HarborCenter, right?

There was also this: "With both leases nearing expiration, we look forward to developing a plan and working with our public sector partners to solidify the futures of the Bills and Sabres.” Now, the teams aren't going anywhere, but that last part sounds a tiny bit like a reminder of sorts to local political types.

To the query: I'd have to think so.

To the observation on what's being implied: Fo sho.

4 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I wonder if the acoustics could be improved. It seems like it's really tough to get a good chant going, at least one that's organic. In the Aud, you could hear a chant start up, then it spread.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Didn't the Pegulas finance the latest facelift/repainting at New Era Field? That would cover some of the quoted figure right?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder if the acoustics could be improved. It seems like it's really tough to get a good chant going, at least one that's organic. In the Aud, you could hear a chant start up, then it spread.

That would be a huge help. It would certainly help out the poor guy shouting "Let's go Buff-a-lo" at the top of his lungs by himself in the 300's.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't know. Doesn't the lease give them money for such things?

Doesn't look like it. Everything from my google search says privately funded by Terry & Kim.

https://watts-ae.com/projects/project:ralph-wilson-stadium-improvements/

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/renovations-coming-to-new-era-field/71-502665222

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Buffalo Bills fans will be able to enjoy new upgrades at New Era Field at the start of the 2018 season.

The Pegulas have chosen Arc Building Partners to lead significant renovations to the sideline clubs, end zone clubs, and other premium areas.

The construction will be privately funded by Terry and Kim Pegula.

“We are incredibly excited to have this opportunity to work at New Era Field. Throughout the season, we saw the Buffalo Bills put in the hard work necessary to grind out some big wins at home. Our construction team will bring a similar attitude to this project at the stadium — doing whatever it takes to get the job done and deliver an exceptional final product for our clients and the fans who will enjoy the renovations,” said Frank Ciminelli II, president of Arc Building Partners, in a statement provided to 2 on Your Side.

Arc says the upgrades to the sideline clubs will help improve traffic flow and provide fans with more efficiently designed areas to gather inside when fans are not in their seats. The bar will be moved out of the center and replaced with two service-area bars at each end of the clubs.

The company will also complete upgrades to the M&T Club and Goal Line Club at the end zones of New Era Field.

The renovations will begin immediately following the conclusion of the Bills' 2017 season, and are expected to be completed by the start of the 2018 season.

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That doesn't seem like much for a billionaire.

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's a multi-use building, though. The same Aud acoustics that allowed fans in the reds to hear some loudmouth start a cheer in the oranges are the acoustics that made that place a terrible place to see a concert. Just brutal, in my experience, from an acoustics standpoint. Those cigarette butts hanging from the rafters were there just for show, maybe. 

OTOH, I went to see the Dave Matthews band at the arena a few years ago. Sat in the 200s. The acoustics were so good, I felt a bit like we were at a listening party in someone's living room -- i.e., it was a fairly lame live music scene.

I've only been to two concerts there--both Springsteen--and the acoustics were fine for that.

They're not as good for hockey because the bowl is spread out and the ceiling is high and arched.

But anyone who went to a game pre-2012 or so will tell you that they're not that bad.

As for the money, PSE is paying for the study.

33 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Doesn't look like it. Everything from my google search says privately funded by Terry & Kim.

If I'm reading the lease summary (link below) correctly, the lease calls for $130 million in capital improvements, and only $35 million of that comes from the Pegulas. Apparently the recent improvements were part of their commitment.

http://www2.erie.gov/exec/index.php?q=buffalo-bills-lease-terms-summary

Same with HarborCenter. Privately funded? Technically, sure. But there were plenty of public subsidies ($57 million).

http://www.investigativepost.org/2014/10/29/big-subsidies-harborcenter/

This is not to take credit away from the Pegulas. I just think there needs to be some balance in how we look at these things.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's a multi-use building, though. The same Aud acoustics that allowed fans in the reds to hear some loudmouth start a cheer in the oranges are the acoustics that made that place a terrible place to see a concert. Just brutal, in my experience, from an acoustics standpoint. Those cigarette butts hanging from the rafters were there just for show, maybe. 

OTOH, I went to see the Dave Matthews band at the arena a few years ago. Sat in the 200s. The acoustics were so good, I felt a bit like we were at a listening party in someone's living room -- i.e., it was a fairly lame live music scene.

All true except the acoustics being so good at KBC. The place is acoustically dead and has a mid-mid-range peak that is accentuated the further up you are seated.  Not a fan of the acoustics at KBC.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

All true except the acoustics being so good at KBC. The place is acoustically dead and has a mid-mid-range peak that is accentuated the further up you are seated.  Not a fan of the acoustics at KBC.

I will absolutely defer to someone who knows a thing or two about the matter (which you apparently do, since you used the term "mid-mid-range peak" (ha!)). 

For some shows, I found the facility's sound to be fine for an arena show. For others, I found it lacklustre.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

For some shows, I found the facility's sound to be fine for an arena show. For others, I found it lacklustre.

I just have my opinion, which, generally, is never popular.

On the quoted, if that is the consensus (and I don't know if it is), that's probably the average to expected considering the building's use. I'm sure there are fancy ways to make it better, but likely not practical or cost-effective.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Not going anywhere so long as the Pegula's own them. A solid plan and lease can help ensure their future in Buffalo regardless of ownership. 

Not saying I think the Pegula's are selling, but crazy stuff happens all the time, says the fan of the team once owned by the Rigas family. Not to mention Paul Allen who proved that money alone cannot defeat the Big C. Etc.

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

In the press scrum about it about an hour ago the only real specific mention of KBC was the need for better audio throughout the stadium. Specifics weren’t given. Did mention many more upgrades are needed.

It'll be 2019 or beyond - I think audio is so passe.  They should upgrade to mental telepathy and holograms to communicate with patrons.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I think KeyBank’s need for major renovations is bigger than most people think. The team has been so bad for so long I think people just kind of ignore it.

The recent renovations were a decent facelift but it’s as bland as imaginable.

I'm with you 100%.  When I look at the condition of both places, I think the arena is in MUCH worse shape than the stadium. The arena hasn't aged well.  A lot of seats are worn out...the concrete under your feet and on the stairs is cracking or pitted and looks awful, and most of us have read on here just how many things don't work there anymore.

Is the Stadium outdated compared to most other NFL stadiums? Yep, I guess so, but I don't mind that.  However, after visiting a few of the other new Hockey Arenas (Columbus, which isn't that new, and Detroit, which is awesome), I think the Arena is much further behind on 'fan experience' and 'fan amenities' than New Era is.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.