GDT - The Snarks (hey, Taro) @ The Mighty Sabres of Buffalo - November 27, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (NS time)

Sabres Fan in NS

24 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Echoing the other points here, props to Larsson. Dude has found his role and is excelling at it. He can play on my team any day. 

I think he’s playing the same game he was two years ago.

As a third-line centre on a bad team it wasn’t good enough. As a fourth-line centre on a winning team? It’s awesome!

It’s about having enough good players to slot guys into the appropriate roles.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

I just saw a quote in one of the recaps where Beaulieu said Ristolainen's celebration was embarrassing and completely ruined the goal.  That's too funny.  I want more quotes like that one.

"*Joking* That was embarrassing. That was awful. Ruined a beautiful goal, but if he keeps scoring it's fine by me."

Short on time...

Thanks to those in the crowd last night for making the game fun to listen to on the radio as I drove home with my son from his back to back hockey practices.

Got home just after the Risto goal.

This team is having FUN, they are relaxed and playing determined hockey.  Seeing Dahlin's reaction to Risto's goal was amazing.  He's a already a top tier defender in the league but moments like that remind you that he's 18 and also going through his "fan" stage at the same time.

Props to RJ.  The "you wanted it, here it is.. these guys are good, scary good".  Man....

And finally, Brian Duff... please don't ever get rid of Brian Duff.  Between barely being able to talk because of smiling to hard from the win to not being able to talk because of his recounting the cancer stories... he's awesome.

Let's Go Buffalo.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As a third-line centre on a bad team it wasn’t good enough. As a fourth-line centre on a winning team? It’s awesome!

It’s about having enough good players to slot guys in pro the appropriate roles.

Yeah. If we didn't have enough offense to win these games - he would be heavily chirped for his lack of production. 

1 hour ago, wjag said:

4. With each passing day, the trade of ROR for all those Blues looks more and more lopsided in Buffalo's favor.  And they get a draft pick too..  That has got to be one of the best fleecings in Buffalo Sabres history.

The trade in which we shipped out one piece for three that combine for, like, a quarter of that one piece's production this year and include our two worst forwards over the course of 25 games? 

That's the best fleecing in Buffalo Sabres history, and not a different trade in the very same offseason that brought the NHL's leading goal scorer into Buffalo without giving up more than a 2nd round pick and our eighth best prospect?

I mean, I'm over the ROR trade, but I'm still going to post when I see something like that said about it. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

15 hours ago, grinreaper said:

You haven't lived in Erie that long then. 3D's is the brick colonial style building that is on both West 8th & West 6th Street just east of Waldamere entrance. PI stood for Peninsula Inn at the base of the hill going to the Peninsula where the condos are now. They were iconic night spots.

Actually, yes I have. Been to both in their *hay* day.

I didn't know you switched towns on me. 

The PI was the best spot to go in the summer of any beach bar I've been to in the world. Miss that place.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have not read all the thread, but here and there I have noticed that Skinner is getting big points for the nifty moves he made on the GWG, which they were.

What lead directly to him being able to make those fancy moves was the fact that he out hustled, none other than, Evander Kane to a loose puck in the slot.

I would like to add onto that, Dahlin's behind the back pass around EK that made Jones come out to try and play it was pretty amazing too.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

2.  This is true, but the one forward that seems to be especially good at it is Casey Mittelstadt.  It's just shocking to me that he'll be part of an offensive rush that turns the puck over, and he's suddenly back there with the defensemen snuffing out the opposing rush.  It's amazing to me that such a green player is so defensively aware.  His momma dun raised him right.

3.  From a skill standpoint, I have to agree.  There have been some luckier goals, but that was the best skill goal.

4.  Try to go over to the Blues forum and tell them that  ?

5.  Larsson and Girgs are in roles where they can succeed.  They're possibly capable of more if they needed to be (both were thrust to the top line at times during the tank), but playing where they are is just perfect for the way the team is composed.

i actually was reading in their RoR trade topic and saw your very reasonable points and their very un-reasonable answers. While I agree with them in that RoR was the best player in the trade, I do not believe we lost the trade at all, both teams got what they wanted.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s about having enough good players to slot guys into the appropriate roles.

I agree and would just add that I think Larsson, with a bit more experience and perspective -- and the appreciation for having an NHL job after missing a year with a serious injury -- has likely embraced the checking-line role a bit more than he had previously.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I would like to add onto that, Dahlin's behind the back pass around EK that made Jones come out to try and play it was pretty amazing too.

And when he did that, Skinner was farther from the puck than Evander Kane.

1.thumb.JPG.a48b7ab0f2fc9d0530947d5dd0e0017a.JPG

Skinner easily beats him to the puck, and while he's handling it to deke the goalie and put it in the net, Kane isn't even close enough to him to bother him from behind.

2.thumb.JPG.699e074ee1b81fa9a25cceaaf5cd1b14.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.224783852156b439a272674395889f1f.JPG

Karlsson stays with Dahlin. Karlsson stands by the left post and watches helplessly as that goal goes in, and his body language is comical.

(I may have watched this goal a few times this morning ?)

Edited by Assquatch
Added pictures
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Assquatch said:

And when he did that, Skinner was farther from the puck than Evander Kane. Skinner easily beats him to the puck, and while he's handling it to deke the goalie and put it in the net, Kane isn't even close enough to him to bother him from behind.

Karlsson stays with Dahlin. Karlsson stands by the left post and watches helplessly as that goal goes in, and his body language is comical.

Maybe Kane was in awe of seeing a full arena of cheering Sabres fans and that distracted him...or he was being lazy

Edited by Marions Piazza
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

i actually was reading in their RoR trade topic and saw your very reasonable points and their very un-reasonable answers. While I agree with them in that RoR was the best player in the trade, I do not believe we lost the trade at all, both teams got what they wanted.

Those "reasonable points" got me banned out of that thread.  Man, those guys are butt-hurt.  From their perspective they clearly won the trade but they're bitter about it because their team sucks hard.  I think the underlying subtext is they don't want to admit Carter Hutton is a good goalie but it peeves them that he got away and he's doing so well with us.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Those "reasonable points" got me banned out of that thread.  Man, those guys are butt-hurt.  From their perspective they clearly won the trade but they're bitter about it because their team sucks hard.  I think the underlying subtext is they don't want to admit Carter Hutton is a good goalie but it peeves them that he got away and he's doing so well with us.

seriously? you got banned from that? Your best point was how they are ignoring the fact that he's a bit of a lockeroom cancer and saying all the same thing we Sabres fans said when we first traded for him. How quickly things change, and it's only a matter of time until they are saying the same thing. I think i read one poster say that they kept the wrong goalie, but that was about it.

12-0-0 when Samson Reinhart scores a point. 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

They really did let the wrong goalie go. But they surely can't think they'd be better with the two pieces that tanked their play on the ice last year, on longish contracts, that they'd been trying to dump for two years, their fifth favorite prospect, when in return they got a guy who is pacing for one of the best scoring-C seasons they have ever had in franchise history, relative to the rest of the league, when their center position has been historically weak? Are you sure that they're bitter about the trade itself? 

Just now, Marions Piazza said:

seriously? you got banned from that? Your best point was how they are ignoring the fact that he's a bit of a lockeroom cancer and saying all the same thing we Sabres fans said when we first traded for him. How quickly things change, and it's only a matter of time until they are saying the same thing. I think i read one poster say that they kept the wrong goalie, but that was about it.

What is evidence that ROR was a locker room cancer? Why is the guy that was drinking and doing drugs to go to sleep every night, in a depressive spiral that almost killed him, with boatloads of evidence that this affected his locker room relationships and on-ice play from the most important position on the ice, notoriously absent when the discussion of ROR's pervasive negativity being a reason we're bad, pop up? 

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

12-0-0 when Samson Reinhart scores a point. 

They really did let the wrong goalie go. But they surely can't think they'd be better with the two pieces that tanked their play on the ice last year, on longish contracts, that they'd been trying to dump for two years, their fifth favorite prospect, when in return they got a guy who is pacing for one of the best scoring-C seasons they have ever had in franchise history, relative to the rest of the league, when their center position has been historically weak? Are you sure that they're bitter about the trade itself? 

no, not the trade itslef as they did get the statiscally best player in the deal. they're just butt-hurt that the team is terrbile and even though RoR is lighting it up, it's doing much good.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

How does one go over to another teams message board and troll, er, I mean post?

HFBoards.com (HF stand for Hockey's Future) has forums that are general hockey forums, but then there are forums for each team, each with local moderators.  If you sign up to post on the Sabres forum, the signon works on all the forums.  I've posted previously on some of the other forums and it's been mostly good-natured ribbing, but the St Louis fanbase is in a dark place right now.  Remember all the arguments we had internally about whether or not the Sabres were tanking and whether that was the right thing to do?  That's how the Blues forum is feeling right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

What is evidence that ROR was a locker room cancer? Why is the guy that was drinking and doing drugs to go to sleep every night, in a depressive spiral that almost killed him, with boatloads of evidence that this affected his locker room relationships and on-ice play from the most important position on the ice, notoriously absent when the discussion of ROR's pervasive negativity being a reason we're bad, pop up? 

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I mean, I'm over the ROR trade...

giphy.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.