GDT - The Snarks (hey, Taro) @ The Mighty Sabres of Buffalo - November 27, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (NS time)

Sabres Fan in NS

9 hours ago, Ottosmagic13 said:

This post game is rough. In the best way. #cancersucks

I absolutely hate 2-0 leads, I'm just starting to shake years of ingrained "because buffalo" 

This is awesome! 

Someone on Twitter said: "everyone last year kept waiting for Vegas to get cold. Starting to believe we can be this year's Vegas."

These guys are good, scary good. -chills

I think it was Dreger, "Last year we waited for the wheels to fall off the Vegas wagon and it never did, why can't that be Buffalo this year?" Cue the Leafs fans to start murmuring about how we only seem to win 1 goal games in OT and that isn't sustainable

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I think it was Dreger, "Last year we waited for the wheels to fall off the Vegas wagon and it never did, why can't that be Buffalo this year?" Cue the Leafs fans to start murmuring about how we only seem to win 1 goal games in OT and that isn't sustainable

Already happening on twitter... whatever blow leaves blow

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry I wasn't able to post last night -- had to run home and go right to sleep.

Some observations from the 100 level last night:

- The only players that had "good" games last night from my point of view were Risto, Hutton and Thompson. Everyone else was mostly solid but had some moments of bad. That was truly a *team* win last night.

- Risto doesn't care what anybody thinks, he's going to play his game. And that game doesn't look the same every night. It's different some nights from others and that's fine. He's versatile. Some nights there's a lot left to be desired still, but he's proving many of us wrong.

- I think I figured something out with Thompson last night: nobody is waiting for or expecting him to make some of the plays he does. There were a couple moments where he made a smooth play only to have his pass easily picked off or left in no-man's land. I don't think his teammates quite know what he's capable of yet or don't trust him enough to be in position to pick up on those moments. It's a growing pain. He's also huge so nobody expects him to do what he does on the opposing team either which is a big advantage.

- Eichel had SEVERAL lazy moments last night. He didn't really seem to have the want that you hope at times but he was still good even so. That's why he is frustrating at times. Several turnovers where he wasn't protecting the puck. He's still great.

- Beaulieu legit looked terrible until his goal. That definitely gave him some energy and he stepped up a bit after.

- Erik Karlsson looked bad. Something seems off. He was invisible for most of the game then had a couple bad, dumb plays. He also didn't seem to mingle with teammates... at all. Maybe the marriage in SJ won't last long.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Sorry I wasn't able to post last night -- had to run home and go right to sleep.

- The only players that had "good" games last night from my point of view were Risto, Hutton and Thompson. Everyone else was mostly solid but had some moments of bad. That was truly a *team* win last night.

- Risto doesn't care what anybody thinks, he's going to play his game. And that game doesn't look the same every night. It's different some nights from others and that's fine. He's versatile. Some nights there's a lot left to be desired still, but he's proving many of us wrong.

- I think I figured something out with Thompson last night: nobody is waiting for or expecting him to make some of the plays he does. There were a couple moments where he made a smooth play only to have his pass easily picked off or left in no-man's land. I don't think his teammates quite know what he's capable of yet or don't trust him enough to be in position to pick up on those moments. It's a growing pain. He's also huge so nobody expects him to do what he does on the opposing team either which is a big advantage.

- Eichel had SEVERAL lazy moments last night. He didn't really seem to have the want that you hope at times but he was still good even so. That's why he is frustrating at times. Several turnovers where he wasn't protecting the puck. He's still great.

- Beaulieu legit looked terrible until his goal. That definitely gave him some energy and he stepped up a bit after.

- Erik Karlsson looked bad. Something seems off. He was invisible for most of the game then had a couple bad, dumb plays. He also didn't seem to mingle with teammates... at all. Maybe the marriage in SJ won't last long.

Thanks for the update. What we have to love about this team is that even when they're not all on their "A" game, they still find a way to win. 

I defintely saw the several lazy moments and giveaways by Eichel, but, i think his play thorugh most of the game was fine. there were some points where my wife and i wanted him to shoot, but he's looking for that perfect tic tac toe pass play to setup someone elses goal. I want him to be a tad more selfish.

Risto spanking Burns like a puppy was amazing on that goal, he needs work on that celebration though. Skinner's post game comments were pretty funny about it.

Erod needs a game or two in the box, he took what, 2 bad penalties that were just plain dumb?

one other observation, after Skinner scored he blew by the whole team and skated right to Eichel to celebrate. Hope their man crush on each other makes Skinner want to stay here

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

That building was rocking again like I havent heard in at least 10 years...the Skinner goal and the crowd reaction after brought me back to the Mogilny OT winner against the Rangers and I half expected them to go outside to the Party in the Plaza and have thousands of fans going crazy out there...

What an atmosphere. It doesnt take much to get excited about hockey here...its in our blood...on the balance while most people love the Bills, I would place a bet that if people had a choice between watching a random hockey game not involving the Sabres and a random football game not involving the Bills more people here would choose the hockey game...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Winning one goal games is not sustainable? Nine of the last ten wins were one goal games. Apparently the Buffalo Sabres disagree.

Then again Leafs fans are space cadets. They need to get back in the kitchen and make Sabres fans a sammich.

Side note: Dolly Parton looks creepy as hell. Oil prices are going up because all the plastic is in her body.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just want to add I thought that was Reinhart's best game of the season.

This is crazy good fun.

I started out the night still thinking he should be traded.  I ended the night thinking that he might finally have developed an identity.  Sam was good last night fo sho.

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

That building was rocking again like I havent heard in at least 10 years...the Skinner goal and the crowd reaction after brought me back to the Mogilny OT winner against the Rangers and I half expected them to go outside to the Party in the Plaza and have thousands of fans going crazy out there...

What an atmosphere. It doesnt take much to get excited about hockey here...its in our blood...on the balance while most people love the Bills, I would place a bet that if people had a choice between watching a random hockey game not involving the Sabres and a random football game not involving the Bills more people here would choose the hockey game...

I was thinking about something related to this.  I think it's safe to say that when Buffalo fan's boo you, it's genuine.  They're not just trying to be jerks, they sincerely are upset at the team.  The proof is in this season, so far, where they reward the team with genuine enthusiasm when the team is doing well.  It seems common sense and simple, but I think it's a component to the narrative that is only superficially recognized, when, in fact, the performance of the team is much more meaningful here than perhaps in most other markets.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all in on Phil.

I have always been a "it's the roster, stupid" kinda guy, and the the players are better, but all throughout this streak, and last night as well, "the system" has really stood out to me more than the players playing it. Maybe that's just what good players look like. I know Randall pointed out passing options in one of his dissertations, but to me, hockey is just a series of corrected mistakes, and it always seems like the Sabres always have a plan B. Whenever a pass is made, it just seems like not only is there a guy where the pass is going, but also one where the puck may go if that guy misses or misplays it.

There were times when Eichel completely took over possession. He didn't score, but man was it impressive.

I really like watching our D. I'm really not sure how anyone could say any of them had a bad game.

I am convinced, and always have been, that the crowd mic placement for KBC is terrible. I'm not even sure if there is any and we're only hearing it through the on ice mics. Either that, or they are just not loud enough in the mix. If that place was as loud as we have heard it was then the crowd shouldn't have sounded as off mic as they did.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, ... said:

I started out the night still thinking he should be traded.  I ended the night thinking that he might finally have developed an identity.  Sam was good last night fo sho.

He's fourth on the team in points, second in assists.  SAMSON REINHART WILL BE FINE.

• Like (+1) 2

My game notes:

- Other than the GTG, Hutton played another excellent game.

- Speaking of the GTG, that was exactly the kind of late-game softie that Lehner habitually gave up last year.  This year, of course, the team has the mental toughness to come back from that kind of setback.

- I thought Reino had a very strong game.  I still would prefer that he play with Sobotka and TT, but he looked good with Eichel and Skinner last night.

- Skinner was *this* close on a number of opportunities during regulation -- I was thinking "well, it's not fair to expect him to cash them all in" -- and then he delivered in OT.  And that GWG wasn't just a putback -- he put a pretty nice forehand-backhand deke on Jones and then buried it.

- Every single defenseman on the Sabres (except the FNG) is substantially better than he was last year.  That's to their credit of course but also very much to Howie's and Steve Smith's credit.  We're now seeing what we were hoping to see when they hired Howie -- a system in which the D play a huge role in creating offense, from defensive zone exits to driving deep into the O-zone for scoring chances.

- In particular:  Bogo is reborn!  25 minutes of rock-solid defense, nifty hands and stickwork in the D zone, a rush to the doorstep that almost led to a game-clinching goal, the big poppa bear holding down the fort on the PK -- did anyone see this coming?

- It was great to hear the crowd into it last night.

Go Sabres.  This team isn't afraid of anything.

• Like (+1) 2

A couple of random thoughts:

1.  When Eichel is on the rush, the defenders are always in retreat.  Doesn't matter the team, his speed is being recognized around the league.

2.  What has stood out more to me than just about anything else is the back checking this team is doing.  And everyone is doing it.  As a fan watching on the TV, you hope and pray that the player off camera rushing into the scene will be a good guy and more times than not lately, it is that.

3.  The Risto goal through the legs, around the D man and over the shoulder of a stunned goalie has got to be the craziest/greatest goal of the year so far.

4. With each passing day, the trade of ROR for all those Blues looks more and more lopsided in Buffalo's favor.  And they get a draft pick too..  That has got to be one of the best fleecings in Buffalo Sabres history.

5. Larsson of late is becoming one of my favorite players.  Mixing it up with a gargantuan Thornton is another example of his pest level.  Thornton is like twice his size, no matter.

6. The crowd reaction after the game was awesome.  Instead of running to the parking lot, they stayed around and enjoyed it.  Soaked it in..

7. Skinner is on some kind of magical run. 

8. Loved, loved, loved the coaching reaction to the win.  They are usually so reserved.  They were every bit as giddy as the players and fans.  I think everyone associated with hockey realizes what a special run this is.

9.  Bogo came so close to making it three goals for the D last night.  An inch or two more of elevation would have been sweet.

10.  Lastly, this run is being built on the backs of some good teams.  That makes it even more impressive.

• Like (+1) 3

I have not read all the thread, but here and there I have noticed that Skinner is getting big points for the nifty moves he made on the GWG, which they were.

What lead directly to him being able to make those fancy moves was the fact that he out hustled, none other than, Evander Kane to a loose puck in the slot.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I am convinced, and always have been, that the crowd mic placement for KBC is terrible. I'm not even sure if there is any and we're only hearing it through the on ice mics. Either that, or they are just not loud enough in the mix. If that place was as loud as we have heard it was then the crowd shouldn't have sounded as off mic as they did.

I mentioned this after the NBCSN game. The crowd sound really popped. Would they have set up their own mics? Or maybe it's a matter of mixing?

22 minutes ago, wjag said:

2.  What has stood out more to me than just about anything else is the back checking this team is doing.  And everyone is doing it.  As a fan watching on the TV, you hope and pray that the player off camera rushing into the scene will be a good guy and more times than not lately, it is that.

3.  The Risto goal through the legs, around the D man and over the shoulder of a stunned goalie has got to be the craziest/greatest goal of the year so far.

4. With each passing day, the trade of ROR for all those Blues looks more and more lopsided in Buffalo's favor.  And they get a draft pick too..  That has got to be one of the best fleecings in Buffalo Sabres history.

5. Larsson of late is becoming one of my favorite players.  Mixing it up with a gargantuan Thornton is another example of his pest level.  Thornton is like twice his size, no matter.

2.  This is true, but the one forward that seems to be especially good at it is Casey Mittelstadt.  It's just shocking to me that he'll be part of an offensive rush that turns the puck over, and he's suddenly back there with the defensemen snuffing out the opposing rush.  It's amazing to me that such a green player is so defensively aware.  His momma dun raised him right.

3.  From a skill standpoint, I have to agree.  There have been some luckier goals, but that was the best skill goal.

4.  Try to go over to the Blues forum and tell them that  ?

5.  Larsson and Girgs are in roles where they can succeed.  They're possibly capable of more if they needed to be (both were thrust to the top line at times during the tank), but playing where they are is just perfect for the way the team is composed.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I mentioned this after the NBCSN game. The crowd sound really popped. Would they have set up their own mics? Or maybe it's a matter of mixing?

If you listen to the away feed last night, the crowd mics are definitely louder in the mix, but you can tell they are the same mics. They just sound distant to me.

Now I'm curious about the NBCSN game, which one was it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.