Seattle Expansion Thread

GASabresIUFAN

With Seattle all but assured to be granted the NHL’s 32nd Franchise Tomorrow, once interesting tidbit has come out. Seattle cannot guarantee that the renovations to Key Arena will be completed before the start of the 2020-21 Season and with a possible looming league work stoppage for the same season, it’s expected that Seattle will start playing in the 2021-2022 Season. 

The same expansion rules are expected to be in place as with the Vegas Draft 

And Arizona is expected to move into the Central Division with Seattle entering the Pacific. 

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

With Seattle all but assured to be granted the NHL’s 32nd Franchise Tomorrow, once interesting tidbit has come out. Seattle cannot guarantee that the renovations to Key Arena will be completed before the start of the 2020-21 Season and with a possible looming league work stoppage for the same season, it’s expected that Seattle will start playing in the 2021-2022 Season. 

The same expansion rules are expected to be in place as with the Vegas Draft 

And Arizona is expected to move into the Central Division with Seattle entering the Pacific. 

Really won't be happyif the Seattle S###heads don't enter the league until '21-'22.  The Sabres will end up having to protect a bunch of guys that they wouldn't have to protect a year earlier.  Guys like Mittelstadt & Dahlin head that list.

It's in the league's interest to have Seattle start in 2020-21, in order to establish the massive TV ratings for the next TV contract negotiations (that new contract would start in 2021-22).

The Seattle mayor and the ownership said the other day that they think the arena can be done before 2020-21. https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle-center-arena-will-be-ready-for-nhl-team-in-2020-seattle-mayor-says/617889847

15 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It's in the league's interest to have Seattle start in 2020-21, in order to establish the massive TV ratings for the next TV contract negotiations (that new contract would start in 2021-22).

The Seattle mayor and the ownership said the other day that they think the arena can be done before 2020-21. https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle-center-arena-will-be-ready-for-nhl-team-in-2020-seattle-mayor-says/617889847

Let's hope.  The Sabres will definitely benefit by Seattle coming in on schedule.

Sabres ####ed by expansion delay.

My EXTREMELY early expansion protection list:

F (7): Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Skinner, Olofsson, Thompson, Asplund (possibly Nylander over 1 of the last 4)

D (3): Dahlin, Ristolainen, McCabe (possibly Pilut, Guhle, or Borgen depending on how they develop)

G (1): Ullmark

HATING that this got delayed.  The Sabres will lose a good young player.

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

F (7): Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Skinner, Olofsson, Thompson, Asplund (possibly Nylander over 1 of the last 4)

D (3): Dahlin, Ristolainen, McCabe (possibly Pilut, Guhle, or Borgen depending on how they develop)

Good thing we have 4 1st rd picks over the next 2 years to recover the one player lost to expansion.

I do agree that we were in a great position for 2020 as I wrote at the top of this thread, but on the bright side all 4 1st over th next two years will be exempt.  Also guys like UPL, Okkari, Pekar, Davidsson, and Samuelsson will also be exempt.  Also depending on how Asplund and or Olofsson develop and play for us, we may not be to worried about losing one to expansion. Frankly, Asplund could be surpassed on the depth chart by Davidsson sooner then later.  I’m also protecting Nylander over both Asplund and Olofsson because of age and higher ceiling. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This is terribe for the Sabres.  The only saving grace is that it will be equally terrible for several other teams ... Jets, I think.

I don't think our Nylander would be protected over Skinner (of course we both are assuming he is signed by the Sabres), but the other 3?  Maybe.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
that was my 13,000 post ... sheesh ... about as memorable as the other 12,999 ...

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good thing we have 4 1st rd picks over the next 2 years to recover the one player lost to expansion.

I do agree that we were in a great position for 2020 as I wrote at the top of this thread, but on the bright side all 4 1st over th next two years will be exempt.  Also guys like UPL, Okkari, Pekar, Davidsson, and Samuelsson will also be exempt.  Also depending on how Asplund and or Olofsson develop and play for us, we may not be to worried about losing one to expansion. Frankly, Asplund could be surpassed on the depth chart by Davidsson sooner then later.  I’m also protecting Nylander over both Asplund and Olofsson because of age and higher ceiling. 

Really considered putting Nylander on that list rather than Asplund but since I'd already typed it out that way, left it as is.

Could also see at least 1, if not 2, moves by then that have the Sabres altering the list of 11.

And losing Asplund, Nylander, Olofsson, or Pilut, or other comparable player won't be crippling; but it still stinks that they wouldn't even have to lose a player that good in '20.  Having those sorts of players filling in the depth, especially on cheap contracts, help champions slide that slight bit ahead of the also rans.  And my WAY too early guess is that Pilut will be the guy that gets selected.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

I am all in favor of anything that ***** over Arizona.  Good move.

Normally I'd be all in on this but there's a lot of conjecture that this franchise may move to Houston. In which case I'd say we need to get this franchise back on their feet. Pump it up.

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

Normally I'd be all in on this but there's a lot of conjecture that this franchise may move to Houston. In which case I'd say we need to get this franchise back on their feet. Pump it up.

Well, if the Yotes do move to H*ll, er sorry, Houston, we'll be able to see which of us were correct about the lack of support the team will get.  REALLY expect that to be a short lived experiment, if it happens at all.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, jsb said:

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, if the Yotes do move to H*ll, er sorry, Houston, we'll be able to see which of us were correct about the lack of support the team will get.  REALLY expect that to be a short lived experiment, if it happens at all.

Understanding that I'm being slightly hypocritical given the not too distant history of the Sabres ownership fiasco, but the Arizona experiment has been on life support long enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

If I’m reading the rules correctly all players currently playing for us or the Amerks will be theoretically available for the expansion draft in 2021. Anyone turning NA pro after this season will be exempt.  

Forwards: Protected: Jack, Skinner, Sam, Casey, Tage plus 2 others from Asplund, Olofsson, Nylander, and maybe Smith or Sheary (if re-signed). Right now Nylander and Asplund top my list, but that can obviously change. Exposed Olofsson*, Berglund, Okposo, Smith etc..  Exempt: Pekar, Davidsson.

Defense: Protected: Dahlin, Risto and one of McCabe, Guhle, Pilut, and Borgen.  Exposed Beaulieu, Nelson (both if re-signed), and 3 of McCabe, Guhle, Pilut and Borgen. Exempt: Samuelsson, Bryson, Oskari.

Goalie: Protected: Ullmark.  Exposed: Johansson and maybe Hutton. Exempt: UPL

If I’m Seattle, I’m taking Guhle or Olofsson, but they also may want someone like Sheary if on the team and available.

Ultimately, this really isn’t much of a loss.  It’s just one player and one that is likely replaceable by someone already in the organization. If Olofsson becomes the scorer we hope he’ll be protected. That leaves Nylander and Asplund, one of which will be Protected.  Frankly, Davidsson and Asplund are fungible IMHO. 

Also losing one D isn’t really a problem for us anymore.  Because of the work Jbot has done, D has become one of our best depth areas.  Dahlin and Risto are probably the only givens are this time. Losing one of Borgen, Pilut or McCabe is not a game changer especially with Borgen, Hickey, Bryson, Daughtry, Samuelsson and Oskari in the system already.  However, this situation may make it more likely that we retain Beaulieu and/or Nelson.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.