Just how thoroughly well has JBots rebuilt the entire organizational structure of the Sabres in a little over a year??

matter2003

14 minutes ago, Chevyvanmiller said:

Thanks, Brother. I've been over at TSW for years and have lurked here often, so I know the proper rules of engagement. Thanks for the "Like" and I look forward to doing my best to add a bit to this great community.

If you are over 'there' for years you should find our dysfunctional family very calm.

And don't worry about adding a bit.  I have over 12,500 posts and I know very little about hockey, but I know how to BS and where to post the stuff I know about in other threads.

In case you don't know there are several fun (?) Clubs here now that one can sign up for.  These are for broad discussion of the main Sabres / hockey board.  There are several off topic discssion still on the main board that are very interesting.  The biggest clubs are futbal (soccer) and politics.  Love futbal, but politics is not my cup of tea.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot has a plan.  Hutton got a 3 year deal at low starter/hi backup money. Ullmark is well on his way to earning at least a new 2-3 year deal.  Depending on the money and term will give us a glimpse of Jbot’s long-term plan.  However Jbot also brought over UPL to monitor his development and signed young NHL/AHL vet Wedgewood as additional insurance.

The Osgood/Vernon example is a great one.  Also Thomas/Rask. Rask served as Thomas backup for 2 years.

I suspect Hutton plays out his contract,  but like Doohickie I agree that Ullmark becomes the starter at some point. This could happen in year 2 or 3. At that point, if the tandem is still working who could see Hutton stick around for another 2 years.  If not, UPL might be ready to be the backup and if not Wedgewood or other 3rd party until UPL is ready.  

I still think they need to add a goalie prospect or two.    They have Ullmark and UPL... that's it.     Both are large goaltenders with average athleticism, but we're trending back to smaller more athletic types at that position due to equipment changes.     They can't just rely on being big and squaring up to every shot and hoping it hits them... there's too many holes now, so they need to stay ahead of that curve.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I still think they need to add a goalie prospect or two.    They have Ullmark and UPL... that's it.     Both are large goaltenders with average athleticism, but we're trending back to smaller more athletic types at that position due to equipment changes.     They can't just rely on being big and squaring up to every shot and hoping it hits them... there's too many holes now, so they need to stay ahead of that curve.

Johansson is still in the system, but I get your point.  He’ll likely address it the next draft. UPL was a 2016 draftee.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot has a plan.  Hutton got a 3 year deal at low starter/hi backup money. Ullmark is well on his way to earning at least a new 2-3 year deal.  Depending on the money and term will give us a glimpse of Jbot’s long-term plan.  However Jbot also brought over UPL to monitor his development and signed young NHL/AHL vet Wedgewood as additional insurance.

The Osgood/Vernon example is a great one.  Also Thomas/Rask. Rask served as Thomas backup for 2 years.

I suspect Hutton plays out his contract,  but like Doohickie I agree that Ullmark becomes the starter at some point. This could happen in year 2 or 3. At that point, if the tandem is still working who could see Hutton stick around for another 2 years.  If not, UPL might be ready to be the backup and if not Wedgewood or other 3rd party until UPL is ready.  

An item to keep in mind is the Seattle draft.  I'd expect a small part of giving Hutton the 3 year deal was to make sure that with the expected re-signing of Ullmark the Sabres would have an exposable goalie for that draft.

Pretty sure that original plan was to develop Ullmark into the starter and have Hutton dangled to keep from losing a skater they want to keep.   Lots of time before then, but right now it looks like the Sabres may be giving up a 2nd to keep both guys.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

An item to keep in mind is the Seattle draft.  I'd expect a small part of giving Hutton the 3 year deal was to make sure that with the expected re-signing of Ullmark the Sabres would have an exposable goalie for that draft.

Pretty sure that original plan was to develop Ullmark into the starter and have Hutton dangled to keep from losing a skater they want to keep.   Lots of time before then, but right now it looks like the Sabres may be giving up a 2nd to keep both guys.

Good observation.

If Ullmark progresses to the point he can seize the crease midway through next season then exposing Hutton (and not dangling an incentive to keep him) would probably be a prudent move.

He said his plan was to build the team through the draft, building from the farm up and by learning how to win.  He got rid of some terrible contracts and bad fit of other players and is working the salary cap back into manageable shape. The talent pool looks to be in better shape than i can remember and we still have some nice draft capital going forward.    

He has done a fantastic job so far and  faster than I hoped it would happen.  

I think we should keep him.

• Like (+1) 2

He's only had one bad start where he gave up 5 goals in two periods to Montreal.  Hutton came in for the 3rd period and the Sabres won, starting The Streak.  The Sabres have all wins and one OT loss in his other starts.

Edited by Doohickie

Ullmark showed us over the weekend that he's been learning Hutton's tricks.  I though his handling of the puck looked improved and he was clearly comfortable acting as the 3rd d-man in the back end taking passes when necessary. 

I think he looks better than a backup-in-training, but you never know with these goalies.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ullmark for me still has a little Lehner influence on him. Makes several great saves but then lets in an easy one. Not tight to the post or leaves an opening, stuff like that. He's still improving though so I see no issues at all. 

Yeah but he is really good in shootouts, so that is where the comparison to Lehner stops...we would have lost 3-1 the other night if Lehner was in there.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.