Just how thoroughly well has JBots rebuilt the entire organizational structure of the Sabres in a little over a year??

matter2003

Sabres 1st place in NHL(for a few hours more at least).

Amerks 1st place in their division.

Cincinnati 2nd place in their division(1 point behind 1st).

JBots should be getting every first place vote for Executive of the year and pretty much run away with the award this year...

Its really impressive just how well he has rebuilt not only the Sabres but also the lower levels of the organization to turm them into winners as well, just like Pittsburgh had done for many years...

Edited by matter2003

Jury is still out.  If we can't criticize him for 8 months of bad hockey then we can't absolve him after 9 wins.  

That said I don't expect them to lose a single game until Dahlin retires, so we'll need to let it play out 

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Jury is still out.  If we can't criticize him for 8 months of bad hockey then we can't absolve him after 9 wins.  

That said I don't expect them to lose a single game until Dahlin retires, so we'll need to let it play out 

I mean.. they have 16, but I guess that's not important. ?

I expected they'd be better this year, but not this much better. There is still a lot of season yet to play, but it's certainly trending in the right direction. A lot will depend on how the rest of this season goes and more importantly the offseason. Last offseason worked out really for us. We need another like that.

At the top of last offseason, you've got the Skinner and Hutton moves. Of course the Skinner move will require a fat check this offseason. I'd like to see JBots lock him down before then. I feel like Skinner is more than happy playing here (he did waive his NTC to come here too), but will he take a discount to stay and/or be willing to sign before testing the market with the season he's having? I'm not sure if we have enough cap space for what Skinner will warrant the way his season is going  though. And will he keep up the production after signing a new deal?

Pommers is in the last year of his deal (hopefully we can sign him to a much cheaper 1-2 year deal) and I think Molson also rolls off? I'm not sure if Molson is counting against our cap or what. There is 1 more year of Bagosions deal. And of course all that money we're wasting on Okposo right now. I like the guy and feel bad for all his health issues, but he's not earning his paycheck right now. He's making more than Skinner.

We need to resign Mccabe too though. And he's due for a huge payraise over what he's getting right now. He makes less than Beaulieu somehow. They should bump him early with the way he's been playing.

Edit: I didn't notice Ullmark is due for a new contract too. With Hutton playing so well, we need to decide what to do with him. Can we keep him in a backup roll for another 1-2 seasons? He's playing well in that role, but is he a starter in this league? Will he want to leave to go elsewhere as a possible starter? It helps that he's  a Restricted Free agent. Would another team make a bid for him though?

I'm also starting to change my mind about Tage Thompson. I wasn't happy about his acquisition, or even him playing instead of Rodriguez. However, he's been a lot more visible out there when he's playing lately. Scoring a few goals in the last few games doesn't hurt either. We'll see if he can keep it up going forward though.

I was also a bit skeptical about Middelstat playing in the NHL this season. I felt like JBots signed him just so he wouldn't walk away from the team completely. I wanted him to spend some time in Rochester playing big minutes. He seemed small and underdeveloped, but he seems to be coming on as the season goes on. He still needs to bulk up a lot though. Then again Jack was pretty small his first year and has bulked up quite a bit.

Overall I'm ecstatic with where the team is right now, and hopeful toward the future, but we'll see where we are next season.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

55 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I expected they'd be better this year, but not this much better. There is still a lot of season yet to play, but it's certainly trending in the right direction. A lot will depend on how the rest of this season goes and more importantly the offseason. Last offseason worked out really for us. We need another like that.

At the top of last offseason, you've got the Skinner and Hutton moves. Of course the Skinner move will require a fat check this offseason. I'd like to see JBots lock him down before then. I feel like Skinner is more than happy playing here (he did waive his NTC to come here too), but will he take a discount to stay and/or be willing to sign before testing the market with the season he's having? I'm not sure if we have enough cap space for what Skinner will warrant the way his season is going  though. And will he keep up the production after signing a new deal?

Pommers is in the last year of his deal (hopefully we can sign him to a much cheaper 1-2 year deal) and I think Molson also rolls off? I'm not sure if Molson is counting against our cap or what. There is 1 more year of Bagosions deal. And of course all that money we're wasting on Okposo right now. I like the guy and feel bad for all his health issues, but he's not earning his paycheck right now. He's making more than Skinner.

We need to resign Mccabe too though. And he's due for a huge payraise over what he's getting right now. He makes less than Beaulieu somehow. They should bump him early with the way he's been playing.

Edit: I didn't notice Ullmark is due for a new contract too. With Hutton playing so well, we need to decide what to do with him. Can we keep him in a backup roll for another 1-2 seasons? He's playing well in that role, but is he a starter in this league? Will he want to leave to go elsewhere as a possible starter? It helps that he's  a Restricted Free agent. Would another team make a bid for him though?

I'm also starting to change my mind about Tage Thompson. I wasn't happy about his acquisition, or even him playing instead of Rodriguez. However, he's been a lot more visible out there when he's playing lately. Scoring a few goals in the last few games doesn't hurt either. We'll see if he can keep it up going forward though.

I was also a bit skeptical about Middelstat playing in the NHL this season. I felt like JBots signed him just so he wouldn't walk away from the team completely. I wanted him to spend some time in Rochester playing big minutes. He seemed small and underdeveloped, but he seems to be coming on as the season goes on. He still needs to bulk up a lot though. Then again Jack was pretty small his first year and has bulked up quite a bit.

Overall I'm ecstatic with where the team is right now, and hopeful toward the future, but we'll see where we are next season.

I agree, i figured that there would be some improvement, but i didn't expect this. My friend and i were discussing if they are actually this good or they have been lucky. We came up with a little bit of both. Eichel and Skinner of course are dominating and we are starting to see some more secondary scoring. However, you dont win 9 in a row without some 'puck luck' either. I am more than happy with it of course and just dont see too many stinkers or extended losing streaks, Eichel is feeling it and i think the rest of the team is feeding of him. 

You're right, Skinner waived to come here and i believe he told Carolina that Buffalo was the only team he'd waive. He's all smiles on the ice too, so you'd think he'd re-sign here in a heart beat, but, he's having a career year for goals and as long as he's pumping the net, then he might have a desire to test UFA and see the ridiculous offers he will receive.

Pommer on a 1 year deal at like half his current salary would be nice, but, he's 3rd on the team in points, will he take such a discount?

I think McCabe has earned a nice contract with his play this year, but, he's not going to be more than a 2nd pair D-man in Buffalo and hopefully gets paid as such.

Ullmark is what 5-0-1 so far? He pretty much stole that Detroit game, he had some incredible saves, I don't see how we can let him go, we put so much time and effort in developing him properly that i can't imagine trading him for some futures. I think we can get him signed reasonably.

Jury is still out on Tage, but, he's building confidence now, that PP goal was crazy, looked like an Ovechkin slapper from that faceoff circle, I don't think Howard saw the puck, only heard it whizz by. His shootout goal was crazy because he looked lazy coming in and then deked Howard out of his shorts.

Mittelstadt, it was necessary to have him up here after the RoR trade, we had to have anpother skilled center. He started off slow, wasn't great offensively but wasn't a liability defensively either, i think he's doing fine, but yes, you are correct, he needs to add 15lbs before next season.

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Mostly agree with above but Mitts just needs to lose more babyfat and play with a little more angst... kid is 210lbs so not underweight... I think his development is coming along, but agree he has a ways to go.

Wow. I wouldn't have guessed he's 210. He looks so small out there. NHL.com lists him as 201, and Jack as 200. Maybe it's just the babyfat like you said.

I agree about the angst. It's come out in a few games recently, but not as much as I'd like.

13 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I agree, i figured that there would be some improvement, but i didn't expect this. My friend and i were discussing if they are actually this good or they have been lucky. We came up with a little bit of both. Eichel and Skinner of course are dominating and we are starting to see some more secondary scoring. However, you dont win 9 in a row without some 'puck luck' either. I am more than happy with it of course and just dont see too many stinkers or extended losing streaks, Eichel is feeling it and i think the rest of the team is feeding of him. 

You're right, Skinner waived to come here and i believe he told Carolina that Buffalo was the only team he'd waive. He's all smiles on the ice too, so you'd think he'd re-sign here in a heart beat, but, he's having a career year for goals and as long as he's pumping the net, then he might have a desire to test UFA and see the ridiculous offers he will receive.

Pommer on a 1 year deal at like half his current salary would be nice, but, he's 3rd on the team in points, will he take such a discount?

I think McCabe has earned a nice contract with his play this year, but, he's not going to be more than a 2nd pair D-man in Buffalo and hopefully gets paid as such.

Ullmark is what 5-0-1 so far? He pretty much stole that Detroit game, he had some incredible saves, I don't see how we can let him go, we put so much time and effort in developing him properly that i can't imagine trading him for some futures. I think we can get him signed reasonably.

Jury is still out on Tage, but, he's building confidence now, that PP goal was crazy, looked like an Ovechkin slapper from that faceoff circle, I don't think Howard saw the puck, only heard it whizz by. His shootout goal was crazy because he looked lazy coming in and then deked Howard out of his shorts.

Mittelstadt, it was necessary to have him up here after the RoR trade, we had to have anpother skilled center. He started off slow, wasn't great offensively but wasn't a liability defensively either, i think he's doing fine, but yes, you are correct, he needs to add 15lbs before next season.

Definitely a bit of mix between luck and good. I am still worried about how top heavy our scoring is. We're getting a lot of points from our defense man though, and we have finally started to see some more scoring from guys on the other lines. We're not as balanced as the post lockout years where we had nearly 5-7 guys with around 20 goals.

My guess is we'll have a few 10+ goal guys, and maybe only 2-3 with 20+. Both Eichel and Reinhardt's goals are down (although Eichel's still racking up the points).  Pommers has 9, but his production has tapered off, and he's not playing with Eichel and Skinner as much now. Okposo and Sheary have both done it in the past too.

For the Detroit game, I had their coverage and they were talking about our balanced scoring, but I don't really buy that looking at the numbers. During the winning streak though it has been different guys coming up big. So maybe that's what they meant.

27 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Definitely a bit of mix between luck and good. I am still worried about how top heavy our scoring is. We're getting a lot of points from our defense man though, and we have finally started to see some more scoring from guys on the other lines. We're not as balanced as the post lockout years where we had nearly 5-7 guys with around 20 goals.

My guess is we'll have a few 10+ goal guys, and maybe only 2-3 with 20+. Both Eichel and Reinhardt's goals are down (although Eichel's still racking up the points).  Pommers has 9, but his production has tapered off, and he's not playing with Eichel and Skinner as much now. Okposo and Sheary have both done it in the past too.

For the Detroit game, I had their coverage and they were talking about our balanced scoring, but I don't really buy that looking at the numbers. During the winning streak though it has been different guys coming up big. So maybe that's what they meant.

We are starting to see some secondary scoring, Thompson starting to gain confidence and has scored some goals. I'd like to see the Sheary-Mittelstadt-Ok line start getting back on the score sheet. I think it's only a matter of time before Mittelstadt starts feeling it more and that line gets going. It's crazy that Eichel-Skinner can't be stopped, every team knows they're our biggest threat and yet they keep getting goals. It will be amazing when Mittelstadt's line gets going too.

Just now, Marions Piazza said:

We are starting to see some secondary scoring, Thompson starting to gain confidence and has scored some goals. I'd like to see the Sheary-Mittelstadt-Ok line start getting back on the score sheet. I think it's only a matter of time before Mittelstadt starts feeling it more and that line gets going. It's crazy that Eichel-Skinner can't be stopped, every team knows they're our biggest threat and yet they keep getting goals. It will be amazing when Mittelstadt's line gets going too.

The time for consistency from line 2 is now, not another couple of months from now. So far Skinner and Eichel have maintained production just enough to win these tight games. Pressure must be taken off our 1st line in order to really be considered a challenge to Toronto, whom I consider the hands on favorites to take the EC.

1 hour ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Wow. I wouldn't have guessed he's 210. He looks so small out there. NHL.com lists him as 201, and Jack as 200. Maybe it's just the babyfat like you said.

I agree about the angst. It's come out in a few games recently, but not as much as I'd like.

RJ and Razor were discussing him a couple games ago said he was up to 210

With regards to secondary scoring. During the 9 game streak (NHL.com stats) we've had:

at least 1 goal from 17 players (15 not counting Eichel/Skinner)

4 players not named Skinner score 2 goals: Thompson (3), Middlestat (2), Sbotka (2), Reinhart (2)

6 goals from defensemen: 1 from each of our top 7 minus Scandella

at least 1 point from 18 players (16 not counting Eichel/Skinner).

15 of those have more than 1 point.

27 points from Defensemen

So things are trending in the right direction, even if Eichel/Skinner are still carry the bulk of the load.

fixing formatting
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

The time for consistency from line 2 is now, not another couple of months from now. So far Skinner and Eichel have maintained production just enough to win these tight games. Pressure must be taken off our 1st line in order to really be considered a challenge to Toronto, whom I consider the hands on favorites to take the EC.

Toronto is still manhandling teams without Matthews or Nylander, both of whom could be returning soon...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

With regards to secondary scoring. During the 9 game streak (NHL.com stats) we've had:

at least 1 goal from 17 players (15 not counting Eichel/Skinner)

4 players not named Skinner score 2 goals: Thompson (3), Middlestat (2), Sbotka (2), Reinhart (2)

6 goals from defensemen: 1 from each of our top 7 minus Scandella

at least 1 point from 18 players (16 not counting Eichel/Skinner).

15 of those have more than 1 point.

27 points from Defensemen

So things are trending in the right direction, even if Eichel/Skinner are still carry the bulk of the load.

I was curious to see the trend, so I contrasted the 9 game streak with the 9 games prior to it

at least 1 goal from 12 players (9 not counting the top line)
4 players not from the top line with 2 or more: Okpokso (4), Berglund (2), Sheary (2), Middlestat (2)
3 goals from defensemen

at least 1 point from 19 players (16 ignoring the top line)
14 of those have more than 1 point
16 points from Defensemen

So it's not dramatically different, except the goals Pommers scored (7) are little more spread out than in the last 9 (he only has 1 in the last 9)

9 game streak
Record: 9-0-0
Just Eichel/Skinner:  21points: 10g, 11 assists
Everyone else: 63points: 20g, 43 assists
total: 84 points: 30g, 54assists

Previous 9
Record: 5-2-2
Eichel/Skinner/Pommers: 39points: 16g, 13a
Everyone else: 50 points: 15g, 35a
total: 89 points:  31g, 49a

4 hours ago, Chevyvanmiller said:

The rebuild, from Cincy to Buffalo, has been beyond impressive. There are top young players at every level - something the Sabres organization has never had.

The most exciting part is that it speaks directly to sustainability. Sign me up for a decade or more run in the top tier of the league for a welcomed change.

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet.  A very good first post.  I will give you your first 'like'.

It certainly is a good time for your first post.  Don't be shy.  We won't bite.  Unless, of course, you ask very nicely and buy us dinner first ... ??

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
grammar police ...
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

9 game streak
Record: 9-0-0
Just Eichel/Skinner:  21points: 10g, 11 assists
Everyone else: 63points: 20g, 43 assists
total: 84 points: 30g, 54assists

Previous 9
Record: 5-2-2
Eichel/Skinner/Pommers: 39points: 16g, 13a
Everyone else: 50 points: 15g, 35a
total: 89 points:  31g, 49a

Do you have any idea how many of those "everyone else" points are from when Eichel/Skinner aren't on the ice or at least come from a play where those two did not get a goal/assist?  I get the feeling that these numbers undervalue the goal production that Eichel/Skinner bring to any given game.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Do you have any idea how many of those "everyone else" points are from when Eichel/Skinner aren't on the ice or at least come from a play where those two did not get a goal/assist?  I get the feeling that these numbers undervalue the goal production that Eichel/Skinner bring to any given game.

That's a good point. I'm just simply looking at point totals for those games. I don't have a good/easy way to do that without way more time than I'm willing to put into it (looking at individual game stats/making a spreadsheet).

I do think this team would fall apart if we lose either Eichel or Skinner for more than a game or two, but productions from other places does appear to be up slightly at least from the pure point perspective.

4 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Edit: I didn't notice Ullmark is due for a new contract too. With Hutton playing so well, we need to decide what to do with him. Can we keep him in a backup roll for another 1-2 seasons? He's playing well in that role, but is he a starter in this league?

I like to think that it will work out kind of like Mike Vernon/Chris Osgood in Detroit.  Osgood showed promise but wasn't quite ready to start.  They brought in Vernon to be the starter to begin with; he played the majority of the games the first year.  The second and third years, Osgood was the primary starter.

The way it worked out was that in the 1996 playoffs Osgood lost in the conference finals, so in 1997 they went with Vernon in the playoffs and won the Cup.  Vernon left the team after that, and Osgood backstopped the 1998 Cup win.

I guess bottom line is that Carter Hutton is the starter right now.  By the time his contract is up, the expectation is that he will leave the team, or at best returns as a backup, because by then Ullmark will be fully groomed.  Now if Ullmark never quite gets there.... all bets are off and JBot will need to adjust.

21 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet.  A very good first post.  I will give you your first 'like'.

It certainly is a good time for your first post.  Don't be shy.  We won't bite.  Unless, of course, you ask very nicely and buy us dinner first ... ??

Thanks, Brother. I've been over at TSW for years and have lurked here often, so I know the proper rules of engagement. Thanks for the "Like" and I look forward to doing my best to add a bit to this great community.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I like to think that it will work out kind of like Mike Vernon/Chris Osgood in Detroit.  Osgood showed promise but wasn't quite ready to start.  They brought in Vernon to be the starter to begin with; he played the majority of the games the first year.  The second and third years, Osgood was the primary starter.

The way it worked out was that in the 1996 playoffs Osgood lost in the conference finals, so in 1997 they went with Vernon in the playoffs and won the Cup.  Vernon left the team after that, and Osgood backstopped the 1998 Cup win.

I guess bottom line is that Carter Hutton is the starter right now.  By the time his contract is up, the expectation is that he will leave the team, or at best returns as a backup, because by then Ullmark will be fully groomed.  Now if Ullmark never quite gets there.... all bets are off and JBot will need to adjust.

I'll take that. Hopefully JBots makes that happen.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Jbot has a plan.  Hutton got a 3 year deal at low starter/hi backup money. Ullmark is well on his way to earning at least a new 2-3 year deal.  Depending on the money and term will give us a glimpse of Jbot’s long-term plan.  However Jbot also brought over UPL to monitor his development and signed young NHL/AHL vet Wedgewood as additional insurance.

The Osgood/Vernon example is a great one.  Also Thomas/Rask. Rask served as Thomas backup for 2 years.

I suspect Hutton plays out his contract,  but like Doohickie I agree that Ullmark becomes the starter at some point. This could happen in year 2 or 3. At that point, if the tandem is still working who could see Hutton stick around for another 2 years.  If not, UPL might be ready to be the backup and if not Wedgewood or other 3rd party until UPL is ready.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.