GDT: Sabres at Red Wings 24 Nov 18 @ 7:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

13 minutes ago, Beer said:

Big props to Tage.  Heck of a game from him.

I won't call him part of the core, but rather he's an example of how we're getting contributions from all over the lineup right now.  Remi Elie had two great opportunities to score tonight.  This team is dangerous all over the place, all 4 lines and the defense.

Pretty impressive streak with the team depth.  Girgs goes out Elie comes in.  Berglund goes out, ERod comes in.  Boo Lou goes out, Nelson comes in.  Hutton rests, Linus comes in.  All without missing a beat.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

No, but he's got a gift of a shot. If he can figure out the rest of his game and figure out how to continue to make space for himself and use his size to maintain possession he can be a weapon. I dint need him to be a shut down winger ever but if u can put him out there with some service and he can put that shot on frame regularly good things will happen. Who is the last player we had who could shoot the puck like that?

Have you watched him the last four games?  He's figuring all that stuff out.  Right now.  He was so much better this game than he was earlier in the season, it's almost like he's a different player.  The days of Awkward Tage will soon be a distant memory.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

No, but he's got a gift of a shot. If he can figure out the rest of his game and figure out how to continue to make space for himself and use his size to maintain possession he can be a weapon. I dint need him to be a shut down winger ever but if u can put him out there with some service and he can put that shot on frame regularly good things will happen. Who is the last player we had who could shoot the puck like that?

Racked my brain.  I'd have to say Rick Martin.

My game notes:

- Ullmark was outstanding other than on Detroit's 1st goal, which was fairly soft.

- Tage Freaking Thompson!!!

- Serious question:  can anyone remember a rookie scoring 2 goals that nice in 1 game (or 1.5 goals, if you don't want to count the SO goal as a real goal)?  Not to mention how clutch they were?

- I didn't really like Eichel's game tonight.  Too much cute, not enough shoot.

- For that matter, I again didn't like the results of moving Reino up with Eichel and Skinner.  Reino didn't play badly, but that line didn't do much other than a couple of good shifts, and there was a significant dropoff in the effectiveness of the TT/Sobotka line with Pommer instead of Reino.  Perhaps the idea was to reduce Pommer's load since it was a back-to-back.  If that's the case, I'd rather see TT or ERod with Eichel and Skinner than Reino.

- I also thought McCabe struggled a bit tonight.  But Risto played like a boss again.

- The checking line isn't nearly as effective with ERod and Elie instead of Berglund and Zemgus.

- Elie could've staked a claim to a spot in the lineup by burying the shortie late in the 3rd instead of blasting it wide from point blank range -- but not this time.

- KO was really strong on the puck all night.  He just doesn't have quite enough touch to turn his possession wins into chances very often.

- I've noticed more situational coaching moves by Howie lately -- Larsson taking D-zone draws with Eichel's line and then quickly changing for Skinner, Eichel's line going out of turn for O-zone faceoffs, etc.

- The Sabres have played much better to start the game for the last 3 games now after a stretch of not showing up for the 1st 25-30 min.

9 in a row.  It's been a long time since we rock and rolled.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I never saw Martin, my brain was leaning Kotalik. 

Rick Martin shot with an old fashioned wood stick, and he burst the nettting.  I can't imagine what speed he would have shot with with one of these new composits.

I did some quick math based on where he shot from, the dimensions of the rink/lines, and video frame counting in a couple different angles: Tage Thompson's one timer was at least 87MPH and potentially as high 112MPH.  Not a precise science, but it looked like one of the hardest shots I've ever seen in a real game.

The record in the All-Star whathaveyou is still 108.8MPH (Chara, 2012).

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- Tage Freaking Thompson!!!

- The checking line isn't nearly as effective with ERod and Elie instead of Berglund and Zemgus.

- KO was really strong on the puck all night.  He just doesn't have quite enough touch to turn his possession wins into chances very often.

You had me with Tage Freaking Thompson.  But I agree with the rest.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- For that matter, I again didn't like the results of moving Reino up with Eichel and Skinner.  Reino didn't play badly, but that line didn't do much other than a couple of good shifts, and there was a significant dropoff in the effectiveness of the TT/Sobotka line with Pommer instead of Reino.  Perhaps the idea was to reduce Pommer's load since it was a back-to-back.  If that's the case, I'd rather see TT or ERod with Eichel and Skinner than Reino.

I feel like this is the long-term goal. Didn't Tage say after the trade that BUF had been talking to him about eventually getting first line minutes?

Edited by Ho-Chi-Sock

Almost forgot...Risto's hit on de la Rose behind the net with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd was fantastic.

All of a sudden sticks and legs and skates were flailing around with a loud smack as he hit the ice.

Love the physical side of Risto's game, which he has always had.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

Almost forgot...Risto's hit on de la Rose behind the net with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd was fantastic.

All of a sudden sticks and legs and skates were flailing around with a loud smack as he hit the ice.

Good point.  Risto is always better when he is pissed.  Don't wake the sleeping giant.

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

When Murray made the trade with Winnipeg he made mention that Kane and Bogo “are hard to play against”.  Risto - very hard to play against. 

One thing I'd like to say relative to the success (or not) of especially Eichel's line:  Sometimes another team's top line will match up well against ours and you just won't see the same push from Eichel's line.  But at the same time, they have to respect the Eichel line's potential and their top line has to spend more time playing defense.  In a game like that, you have to depend on lines 2, 3 & 4 to win the game for you.  I thought our 3rd and 4th lines outplayed Detroit's tonight, and that's why we won.  Basically a war of attrition.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.