FIRST PLACE!

gilbert11

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Sabres are literally the best ice hockey team on the planet. 

Just want to bring back one observation. It all turned around when Bogo went ballistic and had that end of game fight against the Sharks. Make of it what you will, but that was the moment that to me, said this was a different team with a different attitude and it hasn't stopped since. 

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

Was this still called The Sabres Report then?

I think the home page with news headlines and blurbs has always been called The Sabres Report. SabreSpace came around in '06 I think. But the site was around before that. Not sure what the forum was called. Was it the Aud Club? Maybe it was all The Sabres Report? @SDS?

Edited by PASabreFan

20 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Well well well. It’s been awhile for me here but I wanted to say WOW! 

This is more like it!

on a side note, my wife informed me she accidentally threw out my Sabres to win the Cup bet I made in Vegas before season started. $10 at 35-1.

sigh

Good to see ya sir!

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

Well well well. It’s been awhile for me here but I wanted to say WOW! 

This is more like it!

on a side note, my wife informed me she accidentally threw out my Sabres to win the Cup bet I made in Vegas before season started. $10 at 35-1.

sigh

1st off - welcome back!

2nd off - Sabres were only 35-1?  Would have figured 100-1 minimum.

Send a detachment down to the AHL. There will be no one to stop us this time.

We're (until games tonight) both currently in first place in our divisions. This is fantastic.

(Also, looking at the scoring leaderboard in the AHL we've got Redmond, Pilut, and Olofsson). But there's also a who's who of Sabres tank players doing well in the league where they are slotted to be: Conacher, Varone, Dalpe, Brennan, Cal O'Reilly...

Things are wonderful right now, and I like it as much as the next Sabres fan.  Maybe it's just the old man in me, but we should keep the big picture in mind here.  The only thing the Sabres have accomplished at this point is to put themselves in an excellent position going forward.  No team ever qualified for the playoffs in November.  As we all know, the way you automatically qualify for the playoffs is to finish in the top 3 of your division.  That means that Buffalo, after 82 games, has to finish better than either TB, TOR or BOS (or otherwise as a wild card).  This will not be easy.  From both a fan and player/team perspective, the focus needs to be on future games, not the recent ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Can we discuss the elephant in the room?  Is this a playoff team already?  The math says almost.

The Sabres have already banked 36 pts so far.  

Over the last 5 years it has taken an average of 95 pts to make the playoffs in the East (Low 93 High 98).

With no truly awful teams in the East this season I think points will be hard to come by then in some years in the recent past. I’m looking at 93 at the minimum standard. So what do the Sabres need to do to get to 93 pts?  Average just 1 pt per game the rest of the way.  Something like 25-25-7. Anyone else see this team regressing to that point? I don’t.  Frankly, the bottom teams in the East are playing at nearly that pace (Philly and Ott are playing at a .92 pts per game pace). 

So what will it take to get to 100 pts and feel secure about a playoff spot? Really not much more.  How about 27-24-6 the rest of the way.  I think this team is better then that as well.  

When you start looking at these numbers you begin to realize why it’s so hard for teams outside the playoffs by Thanksgiving to play their ways back into a spot.  Not only do you have to play exceptional hockey, but you need a couple of teams ahead of you to crash and burn.  The loser point in hockey makes that particularly unlikely.  

So while the streak may eventually end, know that this team has laid a solid base from which a playoff team is very likely to come from.  Yeah!

I could definitely see them regressing to a point where they miss. They're going to slump like all teams do, and it's possible that the green-ness of this team makes it harder for them to get out of it. I'm not saying that this is supremely likely, but it could happen. If they don't clean up in front of the net and Jeff gets cold, or Jack gets hurt, there will be problems on the horizon

38 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I could definitely see them regressing to a point where they miss. They're going to slump like all teams do, and it's possible that the green-ness of this team makes it harder for them to get out of it. I'm not saying that this is supremely likely, but it could happen. If they don't clean up in front of the net and Jeff gets cold, or Jack gets hurt, there will be problems on the horizon

I fully expect this team to have problems after the halfway point.  Teams will tighten up and play with more desperation as the playoff races unfold.  To date Buffalo had won despite not putting up 60 minute (and in some cases 40 minute) games.  They have managed to get positive reinforcement out of a bad habit.  Good for them.  Points are points.  But I cannot see this sustaining when the top half of the league starts putting their playoff faces on.

I think the talent is there to put up enough points to get in the playoffs though.  Hopefully, along the way they’ll learn how to scratch and claw for full 60 minute games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.