Are Your Expectations for this Season Changing?

GASabresIUFAN

This thread comes from the following quote from @RambosKnife and my reply to it.

17 hours ago, RambosKnife said:

At this point is it right to expect the Sabres to win rather than looking at a win as a plus to an improved product? These guys are having fun and scoring seems to come from all over. I remember when I hoped they would win but now I feel like they are capable of beating any team.

As for the picture in question, some of you may know what a hog board is. Just a thought but I get it if this isn’t the place.

I think your first question deserves it's own thread.  "Are the franchise's and the fan's expectations changing for the rest of the season?" is an excellent question. 

So I thought I'd follow through and make the thread because I thought it is a worth while discussion. Thoughts?

Not really.

I expected the Sabres to play better and to be 'in' more games, while actually being watchable.  I did not expect them to be in the playoff this season, but i thought they had a chance to hang in there for a good part of the season and be vastly improved from DFL at the end of it.

For me the wins are a huge bonus and I hope they continue.

Ask me again in mid-Februay.  If the winning continues my expections will have changed by then.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not really.

I expected the Sabres to play better and to be 'in' more games, while actually being watchable.  I did not expect them to be in the playoff this season, but i thought they had a chance to hang in there for a good part of the season and be vastly improved from DFL at the end of it.

For me the wins are a huge bonus and I hope they continue.

Ask me again in mid-Februay.  If the winning continues my expections will have changed by then.

This

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly expected this team to be fighting for the last wildcard spot and playing meaningful games in March before falling short. 

The way they are playing now my expectations have switched to getting one of the three Atlantic playoff spots and maybe a first round win at best. 

Now at this point not making the playoffs would be a let down. 

In th doldrums, 2017 - 2018 edition, I said something about showing me DeLuca .500 before talking playoffs.  If memory serves, I reasoned 2019 - 2020 looked like my best guess for the post season.  We may have something this year.

My expectations changed tonight.  This is a real good hard working hockey team.  I haven't seen such a spirited bunch since 05-06.  They know they they can win close checking games, high scoring games, games against good teams, games at home or on the road.  They also know that Carter Hutton is everything Lehner isn't.  He is our version of Tim Thomas and we know how far Thomas took the Bruins.

To answer the question, of course they are. I would not however alter the plan. No deadline deals to make a playoff push, no trading the future for the present, I want to continue a steady structural change that makes us good for many years to come, not just now. 

So sign Skinner if you can find numbers that make sense. Find a guy to play on the other side as Pommer has a limited shelf life and keep this thing growing in the right direction.

the question is still how will we do if we hit an injury filled period, but fingers crossed.

It will be really interesting if we do make the playoffs to see if any of our kids are playoff guys.

My expectations are changing dramatically right now as a result of this winning streak.

I thought we'd be much improved but miss the playoffs this year.

Now, a game beyond the quarter pole, we are sitting on 32 points with only 4 other teams in the entire league in the 30s as well.

Yes, that's a result of this crazy win streak, which is not sustainable, but there is a reason we are on the win streak!  We are playing solid hockey, showing some resolve, and not panicking when we go down a goal or 2.  

We have shown we can put enough raw talent on the ice to hang with or beat most teams in the league.

My expectations are different now.  I want us to keep winning at a better than .500 pace and see us in the playoffs!

A quarter of the way through the season if the #3 team doesn't make the playoffs, that has to be a disappointment. I was thinking it was realistic for the sabres to fall back to earth early in this run. Instead they've just blown by everyone. It's been so long since they've had a game where they looked plain outmatched, that I don't think there's a team in the league they can't keep pace with this season.

The traditional powerhouses are all having down years, so it's a great time to have lightning in a bottle.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think at this point if they dont make the playoffs it will be a little disappointing. Especially if its not due to key injuries.

a little?

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I can see then challenging for a wild card spot, but they still lack scoring depth and if Skinner or Eichel or Dahlin miss any time they're in big trouble.

If any top players on any team miss time they will be in trouble as well

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I can see then challenging for a wild card spot, but they still lack scoring depth and if Skinner or Eichel or Dahlin miss any time they're in big trouble.

True but TT and Mitts are starting to come around... OK and Sheary are still threats... and RR has picked it up as well.  Still agreed would like to see another scorer added say Oloffson, but maybe not till after the deadline... playing solid D on the backend is important as well and that third pair needs to tighten it up.

Edited by North Buffalo

I expect wins where in past season I expected losses. Tampa game for example. The Sabres are finally realizing their potential and everyone is working hard. How many times has Jack sprinted back on D? Look at the job Larson did on the PK against the Habs. Most importantly look at the fun. Nobody is losing their love of the game on this team.

You can quantify hard work with numbers but numbers won’t say when you will break a bone on a blocked shot, never give up on a long shift, or make a come from behind victory.

The season will end however it does but the future will be brighter than when it started. 

Edited by RambosKnife
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.