Coffee - How do you drink it?

inkman

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is my favourite time of day ... it is just about 7:00 AM here in Halifax.

I just prayed the dawn prayers and some extra.  The crows are flying by on their return to their daylight stomping grounds from their nighttime roosting grounds.  They are fasinating birds.  Several thousand go to a University grounds near us to roost at night. during the winter months  They then return each day to their daytime homes.

I am about to enjoy my Lavaza Espresso coffee made in the Bosnian tradition.  I can use any coffee to make it, but Turkish and / or Bosnian have the perfect grind and flavour.  I do like this Espresso a lot, though.

I am a little bit of a coffee snob, my wife and I bought a Nespresso Espresso machine last year as an 'us' gift. It has made it difficult to go back to regular coffee. I have had some amazing coffee in Qatar at a Turkish restaurant, great coffee in Germany and especially Holland, but back here in the states i have found that coffee just isn't as good and generally just stick with espresso these days.

sorry fo the long winded NS, but, I am curious, what is the Bosnian traditional way of brewing coffee? I am always looking to try something new.

• Like (+1) 1

So I mistakenly bought the ground version of peet's holiday blend.  A mistake that I can live with.

What I realized however (as I was measuring out that coffee) is that my burr grinder was no longer properly grinding the right amount of beans in the coffee I usually drink.  It had been short by about 40% of the proper weight.  So, I've been drinking this weaker coffee for quite some time.

The good news is that the coffee still tasted pretty good.

The better news is that now I have fixed the problem and the coffee tastes even better.

1 hour ago, Marions Piazza said:

I am a little bit of a coffee snob, my wife and I bought a Nespresso Espresso machine last year as an 'us' gift. It has made it difficult to go back to regular coffee. I have had some amazing coffee in Qatar at a Turkish restaurant, great coffee in Germany and especially Holland, but back here in the states i have found that coffee just isn't as good and generally just stick with espresso these days.

sorry fo the long winded NS, but, I am curious, what is the Bosnian traditional way of brewing coffee? I am always looking to try something new.

Cool story.

No worries. I am on mobile right now, but I will send you info on how to make Turkish / Bosnian coffee. 

I tell you, if you try it you will never go back. 

2 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words.  So, a video must be worth a thousand pictures ...

This video was filmed (not by me) in a small cafe in Sarajevo.  I know the city and the cafe very well.  Fond memories for sure.

There is a knack to getting used to making it and it is easier on a gas stove than electric, but it can be done.

This is a single coffee serving.  I make mine in a pot that is 7 times bigger than the one in the video ... family size ... just for me.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
stupid fingers ...

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words.  So, a video must be worth a thousand pictures ...

This video was filmed (not by me) in a small cafe in Sarajevo.  I know the city and the cafe very well.  Fond memories for sure.

There is a knack to getting used to making it and it is easier on a gas stove than electric, but it can be done.

This is a single coffee serving.  I make mine in a pot that is 7 times bigger than the one in the video ... family size ... just for me.

thank you for posting, i am going to try this on the weekend. i have a gas stove so that'l work nicely. cant wait to try it. is there a particular brand that you like to use as far as coffee goes?

6 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

thank you for posting, i am going to try this on the weekend. i have a gas stove so that'l work nicely. cant wait to try it. is there a particular brand that you like to use as far as coffee goes?

Image result for Bosnian coffeeImage result for Bosnian coffeeImage result for Bosnian coffeeImage result for Bosnian coffeeimage.jpeg.f4ba6b0ca3a22a36b4129c54997a4be7.jpeg

Above are the things that you will need.  Two of my favourite coffees from Bosnia, probably pretty hard to get except online.  A hand grinder, as an electric one will not do it for you.  I use already ground beens.  a traditional Bosnian coffee set.  Last image is out favourite Turkish Coffee.  We buy it by the case (12) online.

Turkish coffee is pretty much the same, but slight differences in making it.

If you plan to use Espresso, or some other type of coffee, the method to make it will work.  The key is the grind ... extra, extra fine grind.  If you grind your own beens at a shop they usually will have a Turkish setting on the grinder.

Have fun ...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Image result for Bosnian coffeeImage result for Bosnian coffeeImage result for Bosnian coffeeImage result for Bosnian coffeeimage.jpeg.f4ba6b0ca3a22a36b4129c54997a4be7.jpeg

Above are the things that you will need.  Two of my favourite coffees from Bosnia, probably pretty hard to get except online.  A hand grinder, as an electric one will not do it for you.  I use already ground beens.  a traditional Bosnian coffee set.  Last image is out favourite Turkish Coffee.  We buy it by the case (12) online.

If you plan to use Espresso, or some other type of coffee, the method to make it will work.  The key is the grind ... extra, extra fine grind.  If you grind your own beens at a shop they usually will have a Turkish setting on the grinder.

Have fun ...

Having tasted coffee like this in Italy/Croatia, I really wish I had the dedication to go through the steps and make it as you described. Sadly, I will continue to be lazy and complain about sub-par coffee locally while using the company provided Keurig.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Have fun ...

All the best addictions come with a ritual,… and accessories.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

All the best addictions come with a ritual,… and accessories.

Bosnian coffee, especially there, is a ritual and an event.  There are no lets grab a coffee quickies.  It will be at least an hour, or two, if you are out at a cafe.  If you are invited to someones home for coffee you will be there all day and very likely the night to.  It is one of the most enjoyable take some time out moments that one can ever experience.

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Bosnian coffee, especially there, is a ritual and an event.  There are no lets grab a coffee quickies.  It will be at least an hour, or two, if you are out at a cafe.  If you are invited to someones home for coffee you will be there all day and very likely the night to.  It is one of the most enjoyable take some time out moments that one can ever experience.

This is what I experienced at the European cafes as well. There were plenty of locals that set up at a table at their local cafe and spent 2-3 hours chatting. It was refreshing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Another photo of me and my friend at the same cafe in Sarajevo.

Unfortunately, he passed away rather suddenly and unexpectedly a few years ago.  He was a coppersmith and learned the trade from his father, who had from his father ... back down the line to the time of the Ottoman Turks.

post-3401-0-51983400-1372076703_thumb.jpg

Don't know why my photos are so small.

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Another photo of me and my friend at the same cafe in Sarajevo.

Unfortunately, he passed away rather suddenly and unexpectedly a few years ago.  He was a coppersmith and learned the trade from his father, who had from his father ... back down the line to the time of the Ottoman Turks.

post-3401-0-51983400-1372076703_thumb.jpg

Don't know why my photos are so small.

seeing your photos and reading your story makes me wish i had some more culture in my life and i wish i had more time to travel. i have had a few opportunities to be overseas but it has been for work, and there wasn't much time for much else. My wife and i have had a trip to London but that's really it. i would love to visit more places and experience local cultures.

• Like (+1) 2

I started at age 12, when my Dad taught night school and I would tag along = 2 sugars per cup, no cream

Then I evolved to coffee which would put hair on your hair.

Then I evolved back to normal strength black in the AM; cream in the PM.

When I sense low blood sugar I'll do cream and sugar, though that's rare.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I'm going to show my naivety here, but as someone who has only ever made coffee using a coffee maker (traditional pot. Keurig, etc.) how does one make coffee without one in order to follow the methods described previously?

I recognize this may be akin to asking how does a wheel roll. 

The best methods require some kind of coffee maker or other doo-hickey. Short of any specialized equipment one could use instant coffee (Starbucks makes the best instant), or coffee bags (they are like tea bags).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.