Pilut recalled from ROC

Ho-Chi-Sock

56 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

So just how good are people thinking this Pilut guy could be? Top pair? Second pair? Bottom pair?

Scandella has 1 yr left after this one at 4 mil. With Moulson and Pominville coming off the books after this season that frees up roughly 10 mil in cap space. Combine that with potentially re-signing Skinner, having to deal with a potential longer term deal for McCabe and possibly re-signing Beaulieu, Pilut's ELC looks to be Scandella's replacement.

I strongly believe they plan to move Scandella after the season.

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think he can lock down the 2nd line with McCabe for a long time. I'm really high on him.

Yeah, my hope & expectation is that he's a long term 2nd pairing guy for this team.  Thought he could play either side (similar to Dahlin).  If so, my preference would be he paired with Ristoleinen and Dahlin with McCabe; but that could simply be a poe-tay-toe po-tah-toe thing.

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, I feel like this guy is going to play Friday. Tough to picture them calling him, and not Tennyson, up to sit.

Yeah, if he doesn't get Nelson's ice time (Beaulieu will almost definitely play vs Moe-ray-all; that's Housley 's style); will be very disappointed.  Showing Pilot he earned practice time with the parent club but NO actual game time would seem to send a mixed message at best.

Not that Nelson has played his way out; just don't see where Pilot is a better choice for press box duty than Tennyson.

Just now, Taro T said:

Yeah, my hope & expectation is that he's a long term 2nd pairing guy for this team.  Thought he could play either side (similar to Dahlin).  If so, my preference would be he paired with Ristoleinen and Dahlin with McCabe; but that could simply be a poe-tay-toe po-tah-toe thing.

Yeah, if he doesn't get Nelson's ice time (Beaulieu will almost definitely play vs Moe-ray-all; that's Housley 's style); will be very disappointed.  Showing Pilot he earned practice time with the parent club but NO actual game time would seem to send a mixed message at best.

Unless they made it clear that he was being called up as an emergency-only guy, to collect an NHL salary in an NHL environment, as a reward for his fine play in Rochester.

If Scandella is out Friday for sure though, I might give him a shot, and use him as Erod’s Replacement on PP1

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Unless they made it clear that he was being called up as an emergency-only guy, to collect an NHL salary in an NHL environment, as a reward for his fine play in Rochester.

If Scandella is out Friday for sure though, I might give him a shot, and use him as Erod’s Replacement on PP1

True, though if Scandy is back you have to send him down to play in Roch. Friday night, right?

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Scandella has 1 yr left after this one at 4 mil. With Moulson and Pominville coming off the books after this season that frees up roughly 10 mil in cap space. Combine that with potentially re-signing Skinner, having to deal with a potential longer term deal for McCabe and possibly re-signing Beaulieu, Pilut's ELC looks to be Scandella's replacement.

I strongly believe they plan to move Scandella after the season.

Why do you think this?  I don't agree at all.  He's a solid NHL defenseman, which is a valuable commodity.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Why do you think this?  I don't agree at all.  He's a solid NHL defenseman, which is a valuable commodity.

Yeah, he and Bogo are playing out their deals. 

What happens with Scandy after the deal depends on what Sabres defensemen like Dahlin, Risto, Pilut, McCabe, Guhle etc. show between now and the end of next season, as well as what trades/UFA D come available and get pounced on by us between now and then.

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think Scandella will be looking for a long-term deal at a minimum of $4 million per.

I like him, but that might be too much, especially if Pilut and Guhle emerge to be your 4/5 guys after Risto, Dahlin and McCabe. Paying mid-roster guys market value in the cap NHL isn’t the best path toward winning.

They will probably look to sign Bogo or Marco at a UFA discount, but not both. Or they may look to bring in cheaper veteran to complement the kids and let both walk. It largely depends on the development of the kids, including the ones already on the roster.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.