Pilut recalled from ROC

Ho-Chi-Sock

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think Pilut gets sent down once all the D Men are healthy.  Both Edmonton and Montreal are looking for veteran D Men and I doubt Nelson, Beaulieu or Hunwick clear waivers for this reason. 

With the trade freeze coming on December 19th, Botterill will probably sit tight and see what the trade market looks like after the first of the year. Or losing McCabe and Scandella to Injury for extended period of time this season causes him to keep everyone.

I don't think I'd be upset at all if Hunwick got picked up off waivers despite never playing for our team. That would mean we essentially got Sheary for free.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think if things fall the way Jbot has it drawn up, Scandella is gone

I think Pilut, Guhle and Borgen will replace Beaulieu, Scandella and Hunwick over the next two years and McCabe gets a long-term deal.

I think the Sabres will try to extend Bogosian for less money this summer, then switch over to Scandella if Bogo isn’t amenable.

Perhaps, but I don't think JB will make any decisions this summer in reliance on Guhle and Borgen unless one or both of them somehow gets extended time in Buffalo and looks good.

After next season, each of Bogo, Scandy, Nelson and Hunwick is a UFA. 

The more immediate decision is whether to re-sign Beaulieu and McCabe, who are both RFAs this summer.

So I guess I don't think they will decide to let Beaulieu go this summer based on Guhle and/or Borgen.  I can see them giving Beaulieu another 2-year bridge deal at $2MM per year or so.

I agree that McCabe will get a long-term deal. 

That would mean essentially bringing back the same D group next year, and figuring out what to do thereafter based on the health and effectiveness of Bogo, Scandy and Nelson next season.

Bogo is certainly an interesting question.  If we knew that he would stay healthy and play at this level, I would definitely want to keep him.  He and Dahlin make a very good pair, and I like the big grizzly bear out there protecting Dahlin.

In fact, this whole situation is new-thread-worthy, if anyone is so inclined...

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Over the last 5 games; Baloo has average 15:48 of ice time, while Pilut has average 19:12.  Seems to me PH already trusts Pilut more.

But almost positive that with about 2-1/2 minutes to go last night Beaulieu was out with Ristolainen rather than Pilut.  Which would indicate that though he trusts Pilut, he doesn't trust him in-zone as much as he trusts Beaulieu.  (Who'd've thunk at this time last season that there'd be ANY regularly playing D that that could be said about.)  (If that wasn't the pairing, then nevermind.)

Real intersting Q as to what the pecking order would beif Scandella & McCabe are both back & playing at the level they were prior to going out.  McCabe is definitely top 4.  Could see THAT Scandella anywhere from 5 to 7.  Also could see Larry & Nate flip flopping based upon the opponent.

It's been fun watching Pilut play and it looks like he will be with the big club for a number of games more at a minimum.

I hope they find ways to keep him up as long as he is playing well and developing.  If/when he goes back down it shouldn't be for too long.

It's so great to have these type of discussions versus "who sucks the least" like the past few years!

40 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Perhaps, but I don't think JB will make any decisions this summer in reliance on Guhle and Borgen unless one or both of them somehow gets extended time in Buffalo and looks good.

After next season, each of Bogo, Scandy, Nelson and Hunwick is a UFA. 

The more immediate decision is whether to re-sign Beaulieu and McCabe, who are both RFAs this summer.

So I guess I don't think they will decide to let Beaulieu go this summer based on Guhle and/or Borgen.  I can see them giving Beaulieu another 2-year bridge deal at $2MM per year or so.

I agree that McCabe will get a long-term deal. 

That would mean essentially bringing back the same D group next year, and figuring out what to do thereafter based on the health and effectiveness of Bogo, Scandy and Nelson next season.

Bogo is certainly an interesting question.  If we knew that he would stay healthy and play at this level, I would definitely want to keep him.  He and Dahlin make a very good pair, and I like the big grizzly bear out there protecting Dahlin.

In fact, this whole situation is new-thread-worthy, if anyone is so inclined...

This all good stuff.

Its essentially what I meant by “over the next two years.” 

How do the kids grow Who stays healthy? What are the contract demands?

There is no doubt McCabe gets a long-term deal if he continues his play.

Can we interest Beaulieu in less than his qualifier, which will be around 2.5?

we can open talks with Bogo and Marco in the summer 

50 minutes ago, sabills said:

I don't think I'd be upset at all if Hunwick got picked up off waivers despite never playing for our team. That would mean we essentially got Sheary for free.

The condition in the trade would kick in though and we'd be sending a higher draft pick to Pittsburgh, so it's definitely not free.

As for Pilut, we shouldn't ignore the possibility that he falls back down to earth a bit with a little more time.  He wouldn't be the first or last young call up to do that.  Either way, we're dealing with a nice little luxury here if we do ever get to the point of everyone being healthy.  Gone are the days of the Falks and Feduns of the world getting a significant number of games played.

58 minutes ago, shrader said:

The condition in the trade would kick in though and we'd be sending a higher draft pick to Pittsburgh, so it's definitely not free.

As for Pilut, we shouldn't ignore the possibility that he falls back down to earth a bit with a little more time.  He wouldn't be the first or last young call up to do that.  Either way, we're dealing with a nice little luxury here if we do ever get to the point of everyone being healthy.  Gone are the days of the Falks and Feduns of the world getting a significant number of games played.

Does anyone know if the condition also applies to him being a waiver claim as well?  I read the conditions on Cap Friendly and it only seems to apply to a trade. 

Agree 1000% with the second part. 

Pilut needs to stay up here as long as he's playing like he's among the best 6 defensemen that give us the best chance to win each night. It's that simple. When everyone is healthy, our top 6 are Dahlin, Risto, McCabe, Pilut, Bogo, and Scandella. That means Beaiulieueieu and Nelson sit while Hunwick stays down in Rochester. Guhle and Borgen get bumped up only in cases of injury or if guys in Buffalo are playing so poorly that a shake-up is needed.

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Does anyone know if the condition also applies to him being a waiver claim as well?  I read the conditions on Cap Friendly and it only seems to apply to a trade. 

Agree 1000% with the second part. 

Have never seen the actual trade wording, but thought that the Pens also get the 3rd if he's bought out by the Sabres which led me to believe that it becomes the 3rd in any circumstance where the Sabres are rid of the contract.  

(So, guess the short answer to your Q would be 'no.' ;)  As in "no, don't know if the condition applies" rather than "no, it doesn't apply." ;))

Edited by Taro T

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have never seen the actual trade wording, but thought that the Pens also get the 3rd if he's bought out by the Sabres which led me to believe that it becomes the 3rd in any circumstance where the Sabres are rid of the contract.  

(So, guess the short answer to your Q would be 'no.' ?  As in "no, don't know if the condition applies" rather than "no, it doesn't apply." ;))

I thought I had seen waivers mentioned specifically. These things never seem to stop changing. 

58 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Pilut needs to stay up here as long as he's playing like he's among the best 6 defensemen that give us the best chance to win each night. It's that simple. When everyone is healthy, our top 6 are Dahlin, Risto, McCabe, Pilut, Bogo, and Scandella. That means Beaiulieueieu and Nelson sit while Hunwick stays down in Rochester. Guhle and Borgen get bumped up only in cases of injury or if guys in Buffalo are playing so poorly that a shake-up is needed.

This might be the best-case scenario, but if we are healthy, it would mean Elie waived, or Thompson sent down.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.