Pilut recalled from ROC

Ho-Chi-Sock

Pilut making positive impression on PH.  Pilut played 22+ minutes tonight against TOR.  Dahlin played 29, Risto 27 Bogo 26.5 and then Pilut's nearly 23 minutes.  Baloo only got 15:14 after Nelson went down.  

With Scandella, McCabe and now Nelson down with injuries, Pilut is clearly earning PH's trust.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

He’s here to stay, I think.

Only reason to send him down would be because you don’t want to expose another guy to waivers.

Is he up on an emergency recall?  They may have to send him down at least as a paper transaction before immediately recalling him.  But anyway, there's plenty of games left to play.  He may regress a bit, completely changing this discussion.  He wouldn't be the first young player to have that happen.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Is he up on an emergency recall?  They may have to send him down at least as a paper transaction before immediately recalling him.  But anyway, there's plenty of games left to play.  He may regress a bit, completely changing this discussion.  He wouldn't be the first young player to have that happen.

I hear you. He ain't so young, though. 22, right? A fairly seasoned pro.

I came here to say the same thing as all of you - Pilut stays for the rest of the year imo.

Only problem is with the rest of the defense playing well, who do we bench/expose to waivers? Baloo and Nelson are the names that come to mind, but both are too good not to be claimed immediately.

OTTOMH Rankings:

Dahlin

Risto

Bogosian

McCabe

Pilut

Scandella (IR)

Beaulieu

Nelson

Hunwick

Do we keep 7 with Scandella on IR and trade Hunwick, alternating Beaulieu and Nelson? Something else? We suddenly have too many good dmen.

12 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I came here to say the same thing as all of you - Pilut stays for the rest of the year imo.

Only problem is with the rest of the defense playing well, who do we bench/expose to waivers? Baloo and Nelson are the names that come to mind, but both are too good not to be claimed immediately.

OTTOMH Rankings:

Dahlin

Risto

Bogosian

McCabe

Pilut

Scandella (IR)

Beaulieu

Nelson

Hunwick

Do we keep 7 with Scandella on IR and trade Hunwick, alternating Beaulieu and Nelson? Something else? We suddenly have too many good dmen.

I would keep 8 up (the normal 7 plus Pilut) & then go through the mental exercise we were contemplating would be necessary upon Wilson's return.  Risk sending Elie down (especiallyif that was part of the reason for the Fedun trade - getting Dallas to back off on reclaiming him) as the team is better now with Pilutin the lineup.

And again, all this assumes the Sabres are healthy enough that somebody has to get sent down.  Not a given.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

I would keep 8 up (the normal 7 plus Pilut) & then go through the mental exercise we were contemplating would be necessary upon Wilson's return.  Risk sending Elie down (especiallyif that was part of the reason for the Fedun trade - getting Dallas to back off on reclaiming him) as the team is better now with Pilutin the lineup.

And again, all this assumes the Sabres are healthy enough that somebody has to get sent down.  Not a given.

Do you have any sense for how often a player gets reclaimed off of waivers by his original team?  Nothing is really coming to mind here, but those aren't exactly high profile, attention grabbing moves.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. Unless Botterill pulls a trade, Pilut is the guy going back down. 

IF he decides to stick with 7-14.  If he flips to the Sabres more traditional post-lockout 8-13, then Elie is likely the odd man out.  And if Botterill truly is putting waiver exemption into the mix, unless Pilut's play slides significantly prior to needing to make that decision, then send Thompson down.  Pilut's play is more valuable than Thompson's has been IMHO.

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Do you have any sense for how often a player gets reclaimed off of waivers by his original team?  Nothing is really coming to mind here, but those aren't exactly high profile, attention grabbing moves.

Just that 1st time he gets sent down by the new team in that league year.  After that, there is no weird priority claim for the old team.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Just that 1st time he gets sent down by the new team in that league year.  After that, there is no weird priority claim for the old team.

I'm too lazy to dig up the CBA today, but have they expanded the rules so that the original team (or anyone else who also claimed the player) still has that shot after the waivers have expired (10 games/30 days)?

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sorry.  Misread your Q.  It isn't very often, but it happens.  John Blue was reclaimed by the Bruins from the Sabres.

I bet it was a little more common with goalies.

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm too lazy to dig up the CBA today, but have they expanded the rules so that the original team (or anyone else who also claimed the player) still has that shot after the waivers have expired (10 games/30 days)?

I bet it was a little more common with goalies.

If the Sabres try to send Elie down, any of the other 30 teams can claim him provided they keep him on their NHL roster.  If Dallas gets him, they can send him down without waivers if they want provided he hasn't stayed in the NHL more than 10 games or 30 days.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

If the Sabres try to send Elie down, any of the other 30 teams can claim him provided they keep him on their NHL roster.  If Dallas gets him, they can send him down without waivers if they want provided he hasn't stayed in the NHL more than 10 games or 30 days.

I was under the impression that the Dallas portion of your statement only applied if his original waiver period of 10 games/30 days had expired.  Maybe that's been tweaked over the years.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. Unless Botterill pulls a trade, Pilut is the guy going back down. 

Yep,  that doesn't mean Jbot won't use our depth on the backend to go get a 3rd line center for example later in the season.

4 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

No such thing as having too many good dmen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.