Pilut recalled from ROC

Ho-Chi-Sock

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Why do you think this?  I don't agree at all.  He's a solid NHL defenseman, which is a valuable commodity.

I'm looking at cap implications with Dahlin in 3 seasons and a potential Skinner deal, or, if not Skinner they are going to need to pa an established finisher. Combine that with what I believe McCabe will get (3.5 to 4.5 × 4 or more yrs).

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think Scandella will be looking for a long-term deal at a minimum of $4 million per.

I like him, but that might be too much, especially if Pilut and Guhle emerge to be your 4/5 guys after Risto, Dahlin and McCabe. Paying mid-roster guys market value in the cap NHL isn’t the best path toward winning.

They will probably look to sign Bogo or Marco at a UFA discount, but not both. Or they may look to bring in cheaper veteran to complement the kids and let both walk. It largely depends on the development of the kids, including the ones already on the roster.

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm looking at cap implications with Dahlin in 3 seasons and a potential Skinner deal, or, if not Skinner they are going to need to pa an established finisher. Combine that with what I believe McCabe will get (3.5 to 4.5 × 4 or more yrs).

I agree that there is a good likelihood that they don't re-sign Scandy or Bogo (or both).  However, IMHO that is a decision for 2 summers from now, not next summer.  I suppose they might trade one or both at the deadline in 2020 if they don't plan to re-sign him/them, but I think it's more likely that they keep both for a 2nd deep playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Unless they made it clear that he was being called up as an emergency-only guy, to collect an NHL salary in an NHL environment, as a reward for his fine play in Rochester.

If Scandella is out Friday for sure though, I might give him a shot, and use him as Erod’s Replacement on PP1

I can see where it could have been a reward as you mention.  But if he is sitting in the press box over the weekend rather than playing (for either squad), that would be a true waste.

Tennyson would be better suited for the press box if the stay turns extended at all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that there is a good likelihood that they don't re-sign Scandy or Bogo (or both).  However, IMHO that is a decision for 2 summers from now, not next summer.  I suppose they might trade one or both at the deadline in 2020 if they don't plan to re-sign him/them, but I think it's more likely that they keep both for a 2nd deep playoff run.

Yeah, I can't see both of those vets getting re-signed, as they can't have too much money tied up in 2nd pairing guys. 

But I agree they don't PLAN to trade Scandella.  That stated, I could see him traded as part of an actual hockey quality for quality trade if he could bump up C depth or Botterill thinks he could bring in THE guy to complete the Eichel line. 

IMHO, Marco makes the most sense to be the D-man shipped out IF one gets shipped out in a hockey trade.  He, again IMHO, would have value around the league, so he could be included in a deal.  (Similar to how he was the quality D-man shipped out of Minny in our last true hockey trade.)

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Could be. I just don't see them moving him at the deadline next season given the log jam at D in the pipeline now. Pilut, Guhle one of these guys is going to replace him imo.

If, we land all 3 1sts this off season, adding scandella to move up? Or acquire other picks/young assets in a package deal?

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Could be. I just don't see them moving him at the deadline next season given the log jam at D in the pipeline now. Pilut, Guhle one of these guys is going to replace him imo.

If, we land all 3 1sts this off season, adding scandella to move up? Or acquire other picks/young assets in a package deal?

Risto, Bogo, Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut as the core next year looks pretty good to me.

Nelson and Guhle or someone else in the wings.

Baloo and Hunwick gone.

It seems to be rolling over pretty nicely.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:39 AM, Taro T said:

I can see where it could have been a reward as you mention.  But if he is sitting in the press box over the weekend rather than playing (for either squad), that would be a true waste.

Tennyson would be better suited for the press box if the stay turns extended at all.

He would also be practicing with an NHL club, a good one too. That's not a bad way to get your feet wet a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

Was excited that we might get a look at him but we can wait a little longer and not force it.  Getting a chance to spend a few days in Buffalo with the big club, especially during two exciting home wins, had to be fun and will keep him motivated. Missing a couple AHL games won’t hurt his development and we can let him get some more experience before bringing him up for good when we have a long term injury to deal with. 

In the meantime, wouldn’t mind putting Nelson back in tomorrow and “resting” Scandella after his game today. 

16 hours ago, Robviously said:

Was excited that we might get a look at him but we can wait a little longer and not force it.  Getting a chance to spend a few days in Buffalo with the big club, especially during two exciting home wins, had to be fun and will keep him motivated. Missing a couple AHL games won’t hurt his development and we can let him get some more experience before bringing him up for good when we have a long term injury to deal with. 

In the meantime, wouldn’t mind putting Nelson back in tomorrow and “resting” Scandella after his game today. 

Id imagine there’s a lot of value in being able to glue him next to the right coach up in the press box during a few games. Let him watch an NHL game with the right voice in his ear. 

• Like (+1) 1

He didn't look bad, Sabres were skating in mud... looked burnt.  He tried to jump up in plays, but didn't have any passes come his way... loved his speed, it was evident.  May take a few games to fully adjust, but kid played with some mokie... didn't take crap off anyone.   May need to pair him with someone who can clear the front of the net though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.