Advanced Analytics site Scout.com grades Sabres as A but still gives slim playoff odds

matter2003

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Gives us an A grade so far but only a 7.2% chance of making the playoffs...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scout.com/hockey/nhl/news/sabres-earn-an-a-by-exceeding-expectations-181121374/amp/

CBSsports only  gives the Sabres a 6.7% chance of making the playoffs...and even with showing up to date standings, they are only projecting the Sabres get to "34.9" wins total on the season.

nhl.JPG

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I should have stopped at "money line," but I kept scanning. Look, today is a "clear loss."

Pure rubbish.

We're also better at home this year which they seem to ignore

Just now, mjd1001 said:

CBSsports only  gives the Sabres a 6.7% chance of making the playoffs...and even with showing up to date standings, they are only projecting the Sabres get to "34.9" wins total on the season.

nhl.JPG

Isn't that win % tank level bad?

• Thanks (+1) 1

I didn't read to see how they came to that conclusion, but I bet they lean on data that was generated back when we had like 15 different players on terrible teams the past couple years.

Or the sentiment that our half-decade as the NHL's Cleveland Browns has burned into peoples brains. It's gonna take a while to scrub that out.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I didn't read to see how they came to that conclusion, but I bet they lean on data that was generated back when we had like 15 different players on terrible teams the past couple years.

Or the sentiment that our half-decade as the NHL's Cleveland Browns has burned into peoples brains. It's gonna take a while to scrub that out.

Some of the Data seems like it has to be old.

I read an article the other day that had the Sabres projected to get 94.5 points for the season, it was based on a projection using Jeff Sagarins model or a model similar to it.  94.5 points would involve the Sabres slowing down from their current pace, but it is a lot more believable than the other 2 models above that suggest they play like the worst team in the league for the rest of the year to get to their projection.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

nhl.JPG

If the Sabres do better than that they need to send an apology letter to Terry.

• Haha (+1) 2

Food for thought:

Over the last 10 years 162 teams finished with a + gf/ga differential 146 (90%) made the playoffs. The teams with the best differential to miss were Buf +16 and Min +19, both in 2009.

Teams with a zero differential oddly went 3 for 3 making the playoffs

136 teams had a negative differential and only 11 made the playoffs (8%).  8 of the 11 had differentials in the single digits.  Only Ott (-13 in 2010), Fla (-24 in 2012) and Det (-13 in 2016) made the playoffs with a truly lousy differential.

The Sabres sits 3rd in the Atlantic and at +5.  The +5 is the 5th best differential in the East.  The NYI at +8 sit out of the playoffs while the NYR at -2 sit second in the Metro.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Oh ya. The league's leading win streak isn't even enough to get even a footnote mention on most sports shows over here. TV, radio, or otherwise. 

We are winning a lot of 1 goal games now.

That is not sustainable and is going to regress at some point. 

The key here is we can't go on some epic 5 or 6 game losing streak, effectively negating our win streak to a .500 affair.

Need to keep going with at least .500 hockey moving forward.

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

They didn't factor in those, or hockey, or analytics, or anything else either, IMO.

Agreed.This was done by someone who apparently has no training in statistics or hockey.  The game to game predictions have the sophistication of a third grader.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.