SabreSpace Goal of the Year 2018

PASabreFan

After last night, we might as well start thinking about the process of installing Jack as the owner of a third straight overtime GOTY.

The first year we had four poster-inspired divisions of four goals. Last year we had a Sweet 16. This year I've elected to go with a Goal of the Month format. Seven months with two nominees. I guess there could be two additional nominees if warranted, to bring us to 16 again.

Voting with begin on December 8 and proceed four days apace until December Goal voting ends on January 4. The top vote getter will get a bye, then 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 to reach a final four, and so on.

I am hoping and expecting that more people will vote this year.

Please nominate your favorite goal!

^ I think that's my choice. I want high-end skill represented, a play that's greatness isn't just based on timing, but one that not many players on other teams could do. Jack's play, combined with passing it over with one hand the wrong way on his stick, was phenomenal. 

Although I confess to not quite understanding the format. 

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

^ I think that's my choice. I want high-end skill represented, a play that's greatness isn't just based on timing, but one that not many players on other teams could do. Jack's play, combined with passing it over with one hand the wrong way on his stick, was phenomenal. 

Although I confess to not quite understanding the format. 

December 8-11 we'll vote for one of two nominees for January. December 12-15, February. And so on. End with seven finalists, one for each month. I guess we could also do all the first round voting on January 1.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

That was a very nice goal indeed, but TT's were nicer.

TT’s slapper may have been the goal that dropped my jaw the most this year. It was so unbelievably hard.

I did have a similar reaction to an Olafsson goal in the prospect tourney.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

TT's laser vs Detroit has to be a contender, and if shootout goals are eligible, his SO goal vs Detroit should be one as well.

This is my current leader. Casey’s goal against Pittsburgh second. Situation will dictate it for me mostly and both were in super important moments for two young players.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Welp, the format obviously is going to have to be revamped here. Only two nominees for November? Uh, no.

We got three shootout winners, five OT winners, a couple late-game winners and a handful of big late goals to send it into OT already in 25 games. And that doesn’t even include amazing goals like Risto’s tonight and Tage’s slapper.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We got three shootout winners, five OT winners, a couple late-game winners and a handful of big late goals to send it into OT already in 25 games. And that doesn’t even include amazing goals like Risto’s tonight and Tage’s slapper.

Yes, so many goals that are meaningful for a playoff chase, as opposed to recent GOTY contests, where the goals were spectacular but basically meaningless. That plus recency bias would suggest no reason to troll through last January – April.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, so many goals that are meaningful for a playoff chase, as opposed to recent GOTY contests, where the goals were spectacular but basically meaningless. That plus recency bias would suggest no reason to troll through last January – April.

PH has instructed his players to forget last season.  Maybe we should do the same.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.