Resemblance to the 2005-2006 Team coming out of the lockout?

matter2003

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I liked him as well. Remember when he scored a goal?

Indeed....against Toronto too!  Perhaps Hutton can score a "real" goal at some point (Mika's goal was merely a pass that went astray, and he was last one to touch it).  Hutts can really handle that puck well.

On a side note.....although I'm a bit more pessimistic than most of the folks here, I haven't been this pumped for a game in a very long time!  I just hope the boys don't burn themselves out within the first few minutes from all the adrenaline.

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

72-73 might be one to consider.

The funny thing about 98-99 was how they scored 3 goals a game on average in the first three rounds before things dried up against the Stars.

I would think one of the earliest seasons with the high picks and Perreault as the figurehead would be the most comparable....  It was before my time, but it makes sense: old school (pre-Vegas) expansion team is similar in many ways to a full-scale tank and rebuild.

Their powerplay was buzzing in the 1999 playoffs. Until Satan dismantled his ankle.

And of course, every team's scoring dried up against that Stars lineup. 1999-style clutch rules + Hitchcock + folks like Lehtinen and Carbonneau + that damned blue line. Go look at their blue line (given 1999 rules/era). Gah! But they met themselves in the following Cup Final v. New Jersey and scored even fewer goals than we did. 

23 hours ago, Taro T said:

And IIRC, 2 of the Sens debacle games came with Miller out with a broken thumb.  How confident would we have felt in the Peg had Hutton just gone on IR with Ullmark NEEDING to step up?

Yep.  1st segment of the season they were on a playoff pace.  And that was with the D still very unsettled.  Once Miller was back & Tallinder/Lydman stopped playing like a 3rd pairing and instead like a top in the league pairing, things started to take off.

And we didn't know that Ruff was going to ride Miller as hard as he did heading into the season.  He'd been great in Ra-cha-cha but his previous outings in the NHL were nothing to write home about.

Yep, although I don’t think we were terribly confident about Marty in December. However, they team clicked with him filling in. 

Man it feels good to be excited about the Sabres again!

2 hours ago, ... said:

This seems like the best thread to drop this in.  Is this guy one of y'all?  I like it.  I like his conclusion that this team is more clutch.

Interesting video. I assumed he was a Sabres fan because of the topic and his clothing, but at the end he said that he is always asked what teams he roots for and Buffalo is middle of the road. He doesn't love or hate them.

So I assume he wears whatever jersey of team he is talking about? I noticed he had some more jerseys from different teams in the background.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.