Jake McCabe, Next Contract and Current Play

LGR4GM

He's in the last year of his deal. He's 25 and making 1.6mil this year and will be an RFA. He's been phenomenal this year. What do we do here? He's a top 4 guy and still young. His high for goals is 4 and high for point is 20. He currently has 2g and 9points already. All those points are at even strength. 

The Sabres really need Jake to continue with this reliable 2nd pairing all-around play.

Because the current guys in that role - Scandella and Bogosian - are probably gone when their contracts run out, and somebody needs to shelter Pilut/Guhle/Borgen/Samuelsson/Laaksonen as they move into the lineup.

I've been a McCabe fan for a while, was pretty confident that he'd bounce back from an injury-marred last season and am very happy that he's doing so.  He's become a pretty important part of this team.

He's not a star, but he's solid at both ends and is responding well to both Howie and to the opportunity to get top-pair minutes with Risto.

As @dudacek notes, his long-term role is probably 2nd-pair.  I think he can fill that role pretty capably for a long time.  And defensemen like that don't grow on trees.

I'd be happy with a 5-year extension.  Not sure what the right average $$ per year is -- maybe $3MM - $3.5MM?

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've been a McCabe fan for a while, was pretty confident that he'd bounce back from an injury-marred last season and am very happy that he's doing so.  He's become a pretty important part of this team.

He's not a star, but he's solid at both ends and is responding well to both Howie and to the opportunity to get top-pair minutes with Risto.

As @dudacek notes, his long-term role is probably 2nd-pair.  I think he can fill that role pretty capably for a long time.  And defensemen like that don't grow on trees.

I'd be happy with a 5-year extension.  Not sure what the right average $$ per year is -- maybe $3MM - $3.5MM?

I think it is interesting that when we first brought in Phil Housley, he talked about Jake McCabe's ability and how he played well for him when he coached the US National Team (U-18). I suspect that PH knew all along what Jake could bring and it wasn't represented by the ***** play during the tank years. Now we are finally starting to see all of our defensemen take a step forward this year, and McCabe has been one of the more pleasant surprises.

That said, I don't think you give anyone but star players 7-8 year contract terms, but 4 or 5 years at $3MM a year seems fair and is commensurate with other team's 2nd pairing defensemen.

***5,000th Post*** ???

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think we are looking at 4mil for McCabe. 

I agree 4 or 5 years at 4 per season.  Frankly he is earning the deal.  He fits perfectly in PH’s system and is a smart player who reads his partner well.  Dahlin and Risto seem to play better when he is their partner.  It’s pretty clear that he was injured most of last season.  

Depending on Guhle,  Pilut and Borgen’s progress in Rochester, I can see Scandella or Bogo being traded this off-season to clear cap and open a slot or two for one of the 3 Amerks.

I believe Jake will be arbitration eligible and two years away from UFA status.

Similar juncture in his career, similar role and similar numbers, Marco Scandella signed a 5-year $20 million deal.

Jake will be in that ballpark if they want to lock him up until he’s 30.

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I believe Jake will be arbitration eligible and two years away from UFA status.

Similar juncture in his career, similar role and similar numbers, Marco Scandella signed a 5-year $20 million deal.

Jake will be in that ballpark if they want to lock him up until he’s 30.

I think this is about right and fair for both parties.  Jake may leave a bit on the table just to be a good guy.  So, 5 year $3.75 million / year deal coming up.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I would not be in any sort of rush to extend him. A reasonable number ends at about 3.5M/per for me. He started off inconsistent, but has been very good lately. Long term, I think he's a guy you're always trying to replace and I doubt he sees the end of his contract in a Sabres sweater if they ink him for 5 or 6 years.

... do not agree

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.