GDT - Sabres @ Pittsburgh - November 19, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (AST)

Sabres Fan in NS

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't care that much about metrics; I know they will show me that this is not sustainable, but whatever. 

I do want to see PA's thank you card to Terry and Kim, though.

You will all see it. But it's for Terry only.

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Today is a noteworthy game, in my reckoning.

The Sabres had gone to the conference finals in 2006 and 2007.  In January 2008, they lost to Pittsburgh in the first Winter Classic, with Sindey Crosby scoring the deciding shootout goal.  To me, that was the start of the long slide into the depths of the tank.  They didn't make the 2008 playoffs, and haven't won a playoff series since then.  The Sabres have been Crosby's b!tches ever since then.

This is the first game against Pittsburgh that meant anything in the standings to the Sabres in a long time.  I like to think that just as the loss in the Winter Classic signaled the Sabres' demise, this game heralds their ascendancy.  They will lose games for sure, but the Sabres are no one's b!tches anymore.

I like this. Certain moments begin and end eras. George Ferguson and Homerun Throwback ended two of the greatest eras in Buffalo sports history. I think we have a shot at Eichel's goal beginning a new glorious era.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Sigh. 

You could have just as easily said that you just don’t understand math, are bad at it, and resent others that not only understand it, but use it as a tool to explain the world around us. Because you are literally telling the world that since you don’t understand something it is worthless and worthy of mocking.

That’s not exactly an enlightened opinion 

Terrible take. What these analytics folks cook up on their puters isn't math. It isn't science. To not believe it is not to not believe in climate change or a round earth. This kind of lecturing just turns people off of it more.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

He took a hard shot off the ankle. (And took a high sticking penalty while falling in pain.)

Pilut time?

This was the Because Buffalo moment of the night. And we blew right through it.

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe you can review some of your indictments.

Is this necessary? Are we really in recrimination mode after 21 games? Keep your powder dry there, you might just need it later.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His game was up and down. The goal was great no doubt but Sobotka killed that line almost every time he touched the puck. 

Tage still needs seasoning and I am currently listening to Housley talk about Tage as though he has made some big stride. He really likes the way Tage is playing right now and he must be watching something different. Tage was better yesterday for sure but Tage is still getting outworked regularly on the wall and is still making awful decisions with the puck. He needs time and maybe he will get that at the NHL level and persevere. 

I don’t agree at all.  I thought that line was quite effective last night and TT played well.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll also add that IMHO the “getting dominated in the first half of the game” factor wasn’t as bad as in the prior few games, but it was still absolutely there, and without outstanding goaltending, the Sabres would’ve gotten smoked.

But still:  another awesome comeback win!

I’d like to see them treat the home fans to a strong and exciting win tomorrow and start to rebuild a home ice advantage.

3 hours ago, RambosKnife said:

Al this talk of metrics makes me wonder if they only exist to justify occupations. Hi I’m a hockey analyst. Nice to meet you I’m the tooth fairy. 

If a team wins 1-0 and the only goal occurred when an opponent scored on themselves (Eichel on Lehner), how do any other stats matter? They wouldn’t so who cares about any numbers accept the final score? 

Worry about “advanced stats” when your standings change based solely on a corsi number. Rant over.

This post is nonsensical. Stats are used as a predictive measure not as some sort of magic that tells you exactly what is going to happen. Scoring on yourself, is an outlier and hence you don't think about it. Corsi tells you which team controlled the most shots not who scored the most goals. There is a correlations between shot attempts and goals and therefore wins.What we really should be talking about is high danger scoring chances, zone entries, zone exits, passes that lead directly to goals. There is a list of advanced metrics that are now being investigated to see how they impact the game. 

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hahaha. Well, I know enough to know that the #fancystats community sorta rolls its eyes at reliance on Corsi or Fenwick, without more.

Yup. 

Edited by LGR4GM

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His game was up and down. The goal was great no doubt but Sobotka killed that line almost every time he touched the puck. 

Tage still needs seasoning and I am currently listening to Housley talk about Tage as though he has made some big stride. He really likes the way Tage is playing right now and he must be watching something different. Tage was better yesterday for sure but Tage is still getting outworked regularly on the wall and is still making awful decisions with the puck. He needs time and maybe he will get that at the NHL level and persevere. 

Disagree, dont think he was outworked made some very good decisions along the wall did a lot less attempts at rope e dope and pushed it deep.  Even appeared to catch himself one time and made a simple play I think it was before he was set up for shot that went over the net.  No he wasnt perfect and its not getting out worked but learning how to use his leverage with his tall frame.  He is a little bit awkward at times.  But I saw great progress last night and a more mature game.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Sigh. 

You could have just as easily said that you just don’t understand math, are bad at it, and resent others that not only understand it, but use it as a tool to explain the world around us. Because you are literally telling the world that since you don’t understand something it is worthless and worthy of mocking.

That’s not exactly an enlightened opinion 

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I can't get over how much angst there is over "metrics" on this forum.

Metrics provide a sweeping generalization to how trends in the game shape up.  They do not explain specific instances.

So when people who hate metrics point to a specific instance to try and explain away metrics it's laughable. Just as laughable as when people who love metrics use it to explain away a specific instance.

Stats isn’t math, it’s applied math. And I just think it serves no purpose on a fan board other than to be a wet blanket.

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

While I agree that he still is making some bad decisions with the puck, I’m starting to think that Phil keeps playing him because of his decisions without it. He’s rarely out of position and I think they care more about that right now.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Stats isn’t math, it’s applied math. And I just think it serves no purpose on a fan board other than to be a wet blanket.

While I agree that he still is making some bad decisions with the puck, I’m starting to think that Phil keeps playing him because of his decisions without it. He’s rarely out of position and I think they care more about that right now.

Stats on a message board is what some people literally come here to discuss and apply.

I could agree with your second comment. It seems Tage is in position and that matters. I still like Tage, it's just a maturity thing in his game and I still think seasoning in Rochester would help. Seems like that won't happen though so let's hope he learns quick. 

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t agree at all.  I thought that line was quite effective last night and TT played well.  

I think Reinhart was the key cog on that line. If Erod had been their center it would have been better. I think Tage needs to give us more. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Stats on a message board is what some people literally come here to discuss and apply.

I could agree with your second comment. It seems Tage is in position and that matters. I still like Tage, it's just a maturity thing in his game and I still think seasoning in Rochester would help. Seems like that won't happen though so let's hope he learns quick. 

So you just come here to be a wet blanket?

?

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Guentzel was bitching after that hit, too.  As if he, himself, wasn't aiming right between the 2 and the 6.

Technically his head was the primary point of impact, even though he initiated it.  That's probably the main reason why we've never heard of a face check before.  They don't sound too useful.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I can't get over how much angst there is over "metrics" on this forum.

Metrics provide a sweeping generalization to how trends in the game shape up.  They do not explain specific instances.

So when people who hate metrics point to a specific instance to try and explain away metrics it's laughable. Just as laughable as when people who love metrics use it to explain away a specific instance.

I don't care what makes my car run, but that doesn't mean I'm going to mock the mechanic if he tells me how to improve my gas mileage.  My entire living deals with numbers similar to a lot of these metrics.  So me personally, I'm not interested in it when it comes to an entertainment source like hockey.  I understand very well how all of it is used, but that has zero impact on my game viewing experience.  But those who do want to focus on it?  Go ahead, whatever floats your boat.

The one thing I can never stop laughing at though is the so called advanced stats that the broadcast has Rob Ray throwing out there from time to time.  They're about as advanced as training wheels.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Reinhart was the key cog on that line. If Erod had been their center it would have been better. I think Tage needs to give us more. 

I really think that if we paired ERod and Reinhart, those two would be able to lift Tage into an effective "finisher" role and make that line fairly effective. At this point I would rather have Tage on that line than Sobotka - he does nothing for me and should be the one sitting imo.

• Like (+1) 1

These guys are the new 'cardiac kids'.  Awesome comeback and great goaltending permitted it.  At some point this has got to come back and bite them on the you know what.

Rasmus II had a pretty rough night on many of the Pittsburgh goals ... only watched the highlights.  That hit was great, though.

Who's up next?  This is fun!!

GO SABRES!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.