GDT - Sabres @ Pittsburgh - November 19, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (AST)

Sabres Fan in NS

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

I’ll never understand the hostility. Basic advanced metrics give a fan a sense of whether a successful team is good, fortunate, and maybe in what combination of the two. If it’s not your cup of tea, fine. But chirping those who are interested is pointless.

Also, I know Dahlin was largely a mess last night. But, hey, what about this?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqYpeuWF7Rb/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bh0cievul9q2

Something about the bold sounds funny, like a corsi number ?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, RambosKnife said:

Al this talk of metrics makes me wonder if they only exist to justify occupations. Hi I’m a hockey analyst. Nice to meet you I’m the tooth fairy. 

If a team wins 1-0 and the only goal occurred when an opponent scored on themselves (Eichel on Lehner), how do any other stats matter? They wouldn’t so who cares about any numbers accept the final score? 

Worry about “advanced stats” when your standings change based solely on a corsi number. Rant over.

Sigh. 

You could have just as easily said that you just don’t understand math, are bad at it, and resent others that not only understand it, but use it as a tool to explain the world around us. Because you are literally telling the world that since you don’t understand something it is worthless and worthy of mocking.

That’s not exactly an enlightened opinion 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Consider there are infinite parallel universes.  In at least one of those universes Buffalo has won six straight against some of the leagues best teams in dramatic fashion and sit in 4th place overall with a whopping +5 team goal differential.

As strange as it sounds, we live in that universe.

Today, I am buying my first ever lottery ticket and calling Peggy Noonan to see if she wants to go to a movie, or something.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, SDS said:

Sigh. 

You could have just as easily said that you just don’t understand math, are bad at it, and resent others that not only understand it, but use it as a tool to explain the world around us. Because you are literally telling the world that since you don’t understand something it is worthless and worthy of mocking.

That’s not exactly an enlightened opinion 

Reading that post put a picture of Don Lemon in my head. Never go full Lemon. 

I should have chosen my words better. I was trying to explain how to me metrics don’t mean as much. 

Edited by RambosKnife

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hahaha. Well, I know enough to know that the #fancystats community sorta rolls its eyes at reliance on Corsi or Fenwick, without more.

Breaking from my usual form, I will make a long story short.

Two weeks ago, I had lunch with a college student who’s in the hockey analytics industry.  The topic “came up” at lunch, but wasn’t the purpose of the meeting.  His firm has clients in the NHL and overseas.

When I blurted out “Corsi, Fenwick” to demonstrate my familiarity with his craft, he just smiled politely and slowly nodded his head “yes”.

I could almost hear him saying “yeah, Corsi, Fenwick”.

Edited by Neo
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Anyone hear anything on Scandella?  I missed the play where he was injured.  Sorry if it was already discussed, haven't had time to read the whole thread.

He took a hard shot off the ankle. (And took a high sticking penalty while falling in pain.)

Pilut time?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

I’ll never understand the hostility. Basic advanced metrics give a fan a sense of whether a successful team is good, fortunate, and maybe in what combination of the two. If it’s not your cup of tea, fine. But chirping those who are interested is pointless.

Also, I know Dahlin was largely a mess last night. But, hey, what about this?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqYpeuWF7Rb/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bh0cievul9q2

An amazing sequence.  Too bad it didn't end with a Buffalo goal.

8 hours ago, bg17 said:

The Risto sucks crowd should definitely stand down for a bit. 

I seriously think that was the best game I can remember him playing.  Solid as a rock -- and on a night when they were down to 5 D.

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Have lurked for ages. This run brings back fun memories of when the team was a joy to watch. Way to go boys.

Welcome!

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

You know Rob Ray really needs to rethink his go-to routine.

It seems like every game during this streak we get behind early and he starts talking about how we need to take control of the game by slowing things down.

And every game we take control by speeding things up,

That's easy to explain. With Rob its reverse Polish notation. 

Although there is that saying in sports that when rookies get enough experience the game slows down for them.  And at that point they stop thinking and are just playing fast and with confidence.  

I can't get over how much angst there is over "metrics" on this forum.

Metrics provide a sweeping generalization to how trends in the game shape up.  They do not explain specific instances.

So when people who hate metrics point to a specific instance to try and explain away metrics it's laughable. Just as laughable as when people who love metrics use it to explain away a specific instance.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

You know Rob Ray really needs to rethink his go-to routine.

It seems like every game during this streak we get behind early and he starts talking about how we need to take control of the game by slowing things down.

And every game we take control by speeding things up,

I think the problem is that Ray confuses "settling things down" for "slowing things down."  Settling things down is when you get that sure-anded vet, like Hecht or Pominville, to shelter the puck for a few seconds when the opponent is getting all fast and furious.  Slowing things down is when you resort to puppets to explain things to Rob Ray.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

Tage had his best game of the year imo

Jacks celebration at the end shows how close this team is. 

That kid was downright jubilant, hard huggin everyone and they were just as excited for him.

Hutton made some spectacular saves once again. He seems to do it every game.

These guys are fun, scary fun.

Here's a thought:  perhaps the crappy prior seasons where exactly the lesson some on this team needed.  I'm thinking of Eichel and Risto, specifically, but you can add McCabe, Larry and even Girgensons, too.  Samson would be part of that group, ideally.  That group went though the prior seasons and now they have a taste of wild success, nothing compares.  And, they can just about touch the process for getting themselves to where they're at.  

• Like (+1) 2

I can’t wait until the PP starts producing. Seems like they want the Eichel one timer like Washington with Ovechkin. Problem is the missed shots. Maybe focus on getting a man open mid to high slot with Sam screening and looking for the rebound. 

Another option is Dahlin dropping to the wall after the face off with Eichel feeding him the one timer. 

Third idea is to focus the play to the right side. Eichel in the slot, Skinner on the wall, Sam down low to the right of the goalie. Not ideal but it might cause some confusion for the opposition as the Sabres have emphasized the left side on the PP.

Any other suggestions?

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sigh. Can't a fella just appreciate an awesome win? 

Among Sabres 7 regular defenseman, Risto currently ranks: last in GF%, 2nd last in SCF%, 4th in HDCF%, 2nd last in CF%. 

He's battling Scandella for worst in every metric save for high danger scoring chance percentage, where he's mid-pack. 

See the second quote.  After reading the second quote, why did you take the bait?

7 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Hank generally isn't worth the effort to argue with on this, but you know that's not what I'm saying. Be better.

That lacks the precision one expects of someone who relies on numbers to interpret the world.  It's like a tacit understanding of some arcane system. Wink-wink, all hail Uranus!  What DO you mean? 

Also, note that when you start posting numbers that say the team is "average" or player X is "bad" when the visual of the evening was the team is awesome and player X was a near hero, you're going to get kick-back.  Then to post the "can't a guy enjoy a win" in the same breath - that's exactly what the anti-metric crowd is saying after you post the aforementioned stats.

Just trying to help.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hank said:

Byw, tage didn't just score a goal, he finally played a solid game. 

I TRUST PHIL!!!

His game was up and down. The goal was great no doubt but Sobotka killed that line almost every time he touched the puck. 

Tage still needs seasoning and I am currently listening to Housley talk about Tage as though he has made some big stride. He really likes the way Tage is playing right now and he must be watching something different. Tage was better yesterday for sure but Tage is still getting outworked regularly on the wall and is still making awful decisions with the puck. He needs time and maybe he will get that at the NHL level and persevere. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.