GDT - Sabres @ Pittsburgh - November 19, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (AST)

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The metrics aren't bad on this team. Are they top-5 in the NHL good? No. But it's not like the tank team that fell backwards into 11/13 wins or whatever it was. 

Anyway, I don't understand how people can, after this freaking win, choose to take pot shots at their pet complaints whether it's statistics or O'Reilly. But whatever. 

Because of one good game? 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Maybe it is puck luck, I don't care. It's fun. For the first time in maybe a decade I'm excited about this team and I'm enjoying it. 23 pages in and it may be the first win the metrics Nazis haven't pooped on yet!

Here's the context. Where you're talking about the team and the team's metrics

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Here's the context. Where you're talking about the team and the team's metrics

You failed to grasp the context. And you literally just said you know I'm not a numbers guy. You're just trying to be an *****. I'm done with you. ***** off. 

Just now, Hank said:

You failed to grasp the context. And you literally just said you know I'm not a numbers guy. You're just trying to be an *****. I'm done with you. ***** off. 

I said I know you're not a numbers guy because for 4 posts you said you're not. 

I didn't fail to grasp anything. You replied to a post about team metrics about the team and that was the context. It's black and white

I'm not trying to 'be' anything. I simply asked you why you thought something you posted, and you've gone on to tell me to fck off. Not sure how that adds up

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I said I know you're not a numbers guy because for 4 posts you said you're not. 

I didn't fail to grasp anything. You replied to a post about team metrics about the team and that was the context. It's black and white

I'm not trying to 'be' anything. I simply asked you why you thought something you posted, and you've gone on to tell me to fck off. Not sure how that adds up

32 minutes ago, Hank said:

Will you two please shut up? Take it off the boards

• Thanks (+1) 2

You know Rob Ray really needs to rethink his go-to routine.

It seems like every game during this streak we get behind early and he starts talking about how we need to take control of the game by slowing things down.

And every game we take control by speeding things up,

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Tage had his best game of the year imo

Jacks celebration at the end shows how close this team is. 

That kid was downright jubilant, hard huggin everyone and they were just as excited for him.

Hutton made some spectacular saves once again. He seems to do it every game.

These guys are fun, scary fun.

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It seems like every game during this streak we get behind early and he starts talking about how we need to take control of the game by slowing things down.

It's a false flag for the other teams' scouts watching the game.  ?

10 minutes ago, Norcal said:

This.

Today is a noteworthy game, in my reckoning.

The Sabres had gone to the conference finals in 2006 and 2007.  In January 2008, they lost to Pittsburgh in the first Winter Classic, with Sindey Crosby scoring the deciding shootout goal.  To me, that was the start of the long slide into the depths of the tank.  They didn't make the 2008 playoffs, and haven't won a playoff series since then.  The Sabres have been Crosby's b!tches ever since then.

This is the first game against Pittsburgh that meant anything in the standings to the Sabres in a long time.  I like to think that just as the loss in the Winter Classic signaled the Sabres' demise, this game heralds their ascendancy.  They will lose games for sure, but the Sabres are no one's b!tches anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Hank generally isn't worth the effort to argue with on this, but you know that's not what I'm saying. Be better.

Nope.  Like it or not, you're in league with Liger on this nonsense, and you're gonna get made fun of for it.  It's as asinine as PA's trial of Pegula.

Ristolainen is singlehandedly sheltering the rest of the defensemen.  Same as last year, except he's not locked in with a steady partner.  His effort and achievement are commendable.

• Like (+1) 1

Consider there are infinite parallel universes.  In at least one of those universes Buffalo has won six straight against some of the leagues best teams in dramatic fashion and sit in 4th place overall with a whopping +5 team goal differential.

As strange as it sounds, we live in that universe.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Tage had his best game of the year imo

Jacks celebration at the end shows how close this team is. 

That kid was downright jubilant, hard huggin everyone and they were just as excited for him.

Hutton made some spectacular saves once again. He seems to do it every game.

Tage was still atrocious tonight. The guy moves around the ice like a bag full of soup. Zero puck awareness or anything resembling finesse. Just a big bumbling giant. He coughed up the puck and missed opportunities to keep it in their zone time after time. Every single time our 4th line gets on the ice, I can't wait for them to get off of it. He's by far the worst player on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Tage was still atrocious tonight. The guy moves around the ice like a bag full of soup. Zero puck awareness or anything resembling finesse. Just a big bumbling giant. He coughed up the puck and missed opportunities to keep it in their zone time after time. Every single time our 4th line gets on the ice, I can't wait for them to get off of it. He's by far the worst player on the team.

Except he wasn't on the 4th line.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

He does it every game.....really annoying and shows he has no clue what he is talking about and shouldn't have this job. We finally have a fast team that can score and this is all he can come up with....an he continues to talk during the game action.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Speaking of D, maybe we are finally seeing the maturation of McCabe who to my mind is quietly one of our best D most nights.

I knew the team would need some unexpected performances to compete for a playoff spot. I didn’t expect one of those performances to come from McCabe.

I wonder how his usage and partnering are affecting his overall play.

OTOH: Woooooooooooooo! MCCABE, BABY!

6 hours ago, Hank said:

But, but, but....the metrics! THE METRICS!!!

But, sample size.

Also,  the Sabres’ overall metrics in this game were good. C

6 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The metrics aren't bad on this team. Are they top-5 in the NHL good? No. But it's not like the tank team that fell backwards into 11/13 wins or whatever it was. 

Anyway, I don't understand how people can, after this freaking win, choose to take pot shots at their pet complaints whether it's statistics or O'Reilly. But whatever. 

Because of one good game? 

Well, it’s because of more than one good game. But, yes. A weird urge.

6 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sigh. Can't a fella just appreciate an awesome win? 

Among Sabres 7 regular defenseman, Risto currently ranks: last in GF%, 2nd last in SCF%, 4th in HDCF%, 2nd last in CF%. 

He's battling Scandella for worst in every metric save for high danger scoring chance percentage, where he's mid-pack. 

Any way to isolate what his play’s been like the last few games? Because the eye test says he’s been pretty effing good.

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Nope.  Like it or not, you're in league with Liger on this nonsense, and you're gonna get made fun of for it.  It's as asinine as PA's trial of Pegula.

Ristolainen is singlehandedly sheltering the rest of the defensemen.  Same as last year, except he's not locked in with a steady partner.  His effort and achievement are commendable.

Sir! Sir!

You do realize that @PASabreFan was essentially vindicated by that thread? 

Sir!

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Have lurked for ages. This run brings back fun memories of when the team was a joy to watch. Way to go boys.

Welcome!!

Here we go, Sabres, here we go!!

35 minutes ago, nucci said:

He does it every game.....really annoying and shows he has no clue what he is talking about and shouldn't have this job. We finally have a fast team that can score and this is all he can come up with....an he continues to talk during the game action.

I had the sound low, and was watching in rapt amazement at how gotdamn FAST the team was playing once they got going. 

Poor Rob. He tries. But it seems he can’t help but show his slip when the game’s moving in a direction with which he’s not personally familiar.

• Like (+1) 1

Al this talk of metrics makes me wonder if they only exist to justify occupations. Hi I’m a hockey analyst. Nice to meet you I’m the tooth fairy. 

If a team wins 1-0 and the only goal occurred when an opponent scored on themselves (Eichel on Lehner), how do any other stats matter? They wouldn’t so who cares about any numbers accept the final score? 

Worry about “advanced stats” when your standings change based solely on a corsi number. Rant over.

• Like (+1) 1

Some random thoughts:

It seemed like Reinhart, Tage line was on the ice all night.

I jumped with joy after this one.  Haven't done that since the Bills sneaking into the playoffs moment last year.

They finally beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh.  albeit a Crosby-less (the anti-Christ of hockey. I say that out of utter respect) Pittsburgh.  This game signaled a changing of the guard for BOTH teams.. 

They were simply smothering the Burgh from mid-second on.  Winning every puck battle

The D is scoring, the D is scoring, the D is scoring!!!!!

What a crazy fun two weeks this has been. I was at the 9-2 pasting of Ottawa (feels so good).  The slip in NY and then a march up through the standings against a slate of good teams.  The only thing that could have made this run better was a showdown with Toronto.

That is all.

Edited by wjag

^

I’ll never understand the hostility. Basic advanced metrics give a fan a sense of whether a successful team is good, fortunate, and maybe in what combination of the two. If it’s not your cup of tea, fine. But chirping those who are interested is pointless.

Also, I know Dahlin was largely a mess last night. But, hey, what about this?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqYpeuWF7Rb/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bh0cievul9q2

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.