GDT - Sabres @ Pittsburgh - November 19, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (AST)

Sabres Fan in NS

I've been watching since 1970.  Not sure there's been a 6 game run better than this one.  There have been winning streaks longer than this one, but not in the same fashion.  This is very nerve-wrackingly incredible.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, caseydean said:

Send me that draft letter.

Oh, he’s going to post it.

Then post a picture of it being dropped into the mail box.

I can’t say enough about Hutton. Kudos to JBot for targeting him.

Last year’s team reflected the mindset of its starting goalie. This year’s team, the same.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

"It seems you get either a really solid player or a trainwreck. ...I think we might need to consider moving on from him unless his play can be turned around."

Finally someone keeping it real. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Oh, he’s going to post it.

Then post a picture of it being dropped into the mail box.

I can’t say enough about Hutton. Kudos to JBot for targeting him.

Last year’s team reflected the mindset of its starting goalie. This year’s team, the same.

I think your last thought is worth pondering.   Tangential ...  I was not hopeful turning the leadership roles over to some of the kids ...  this team likes itself more.

Kevin weeks NHL Tonight showing some love towards the Sabres.

He marked tonight's game on his calendar knowing Bots and Pegs were going to be at the game.

Weeks was interested in seeing how the Sabres were progressing as a team.

You know Pegula was grinning after winning.

Edited by hockeyhound

What's that saying, something about good teams find a way to win even on off nights or something like that. So are we a good team now? I dunno, lucky, good, both, whatever it is, it sure is fun.

The big thing for me is this team doesn't quit. So new attitude, no more losing culture, whatever, it's a new feeling and it is infectious and you can see the emotion and joy and it's just plain awesome.

Honestly though we were not very good tonight and not nearly as good as we were on the road trip. Dahlin was dreadful (growing pains, it'll be ok) and I had to watch a Pittsburgh feed so it was great to listen to them complain about Risto riding Kessel into the boards and I was just thinking I like Risto, I like him a lot, and I think it's time people eased up on him. Does he make a gaff now and again? Yup, but he makes up for it and I would not trade him for anything. Valuable part of this new D.

Speaking of D, maybe we are finally seeing the maturation of McCabe who to my mind is quietly one of our best D most nights.

Hutton? Can't say enough. Agree with it all, and so calm and cool and confident. Gotta love it. 

I think the coaches need to point out to them that they were not really good enough to win this one but also that they were happy they didn't quit and the future is brighter every day it seems. Gotta love it.  

image.jpeg.1110367997b1c42927cbd4f37af21475.jpeg

At the game down 4 to 1 in first period, looked bleak, mentioned to my PGH penguins friend this Buffalo team has made itself a come back kids club lately and they did just that, just kept plugging away playing their game. Shazam, they did it again.

Never quit , kept coming playing their game. Hutton made some phenomenal saves.

To many times I've been here in Pgh in the stands expecting more disappointed in getting less. Tonight was different after 1 period down 4 to 1, I felt like lets see how they respond and they did, timely saves and clutch plays and after 2 now down 4-3 going into the 3rd. 

It felt different like familiar territory from winning teams of the past, not desperate but focused and purpose driven. I'm liking this team and how they play and respond.

Lets keep going Buffalo, I like six but I want seven, is that greedy or confidence? I don't care because it's been a long time coming and all us die hard Sabre's fan deserve a team worthy of the passion we've kept going woe all these years... 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Hank said:

But, but, but....the metrics! THE METRICS!!!

There are a lot of things that point to this being a fair bit of puck luck and that the team will regress. Its probably true, and you should be mentally prepared for it. BUT that doesn't mean that we can't have a ton of fun with this team in the mean time.

What it DOES mean is that Botterill still has a lot of work to do. What he does in the next year regardless of the success of the team will tell me a lot about the type of GM he's going to be.

• Like (+1) 1

That was a rare, very well played, thoroughly enjoyable regular season game on a random Monday night.

We started out like crap, as we have been doing for a while now, but just slowly got into a groove and strengthened as the came went along.  We controlled stretches of play and steadily caught up to a team that still has a lot of talent on it.

I had a weird thought during the game.  It just came over me and I was like "this is a good hockey team."

I am trying to protect myself from disappointment, but I'm genuinely getting excited about the prospect of playoff hockey.  There's nothing better than Sabres games in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

But, but, but....the metrics! THE METRICS!!!

The metrics aren't bad on this team. Are they top-5 in the NHL good? No. But it's not like the tank team that fell backwards into 11/13 wins or whatever it was. 

Anyway, I don't understand how people can, after this freaking win, choose to take pot shots at their pet complaints whether it's statistics or O'Reilly. But whatever. 

2 minutes ago, bg17 said:

The Risto sucks crowd should definitely stand down for a bit. 

Because of one good game? 

3 minutes ago, sabills said:

There are a lot of things that point to this being a fair bit of puck luck and that the team will regress. Its probably true, and you should be mentally prepared for it. BUT that doesn't mean that we can't have a ton of fun with this team in the mean time.

What it DOES mean is that Botterill still has a lot of work to do. What he does in the next year regardless of the success of the team will tell me a lot about the type of GM he's going to be.

Maybe it is puck luck, I don't care. It's fun. For the first time in maybe a decade I'm excited about this team and I'm enjoying it. 23 pages in and it may be the first win the metrics Nazis haven't pooped on yet!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The metrics aren't bad on this team. Are they top-5 in the NHL good? No. But it's not like the tank team that fell backwards into 11/13 wins or whatever it was. 

Anyway, I don't understand how people can, after this freaking win, choose to take pot shots at their pet complaints whether it's statistics or O'Reilly. But whatever. 

Because of one good game? 

If you think it’s just one good game I guess you are part of that crowd. Carry on. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.