GDT - Sabres @ Pittsburgh - November 19, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (AST)

Sabres Fan in NS

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Who has turned the puck over more, him or Dahlin?

Shhh....?

What is amazing is that while it seems like every Tage turnover leads to a disaster for the Sabres, every Rasmus turnover seems to turn into a Rasmus take-it-back.

My only concern about Tage is he doesn't appear to have a solid role on this team... and for a young guy, I want there to be the role/goal on an NHL roster. Give him focus for his power. Without that, I'd say go to Rochester where he could get a set role or expanded responsibilities.

But -- he isn't firing lasers on the powerplay (ala a Kotalik), and he isn't an energy/forechecking guy like Elie, and he doesn't drive a line's possession and bring scoring chances like Rodrigues.

• Like (+1) 1

@DarthEbriate -- I agree that TT's role hasn't solidified yet, but it's not like he's played that much either.

I'd love to see him earn the role as "forechecker and sniper on 2ndary scoring line" -- which is what Howie is giving him a chance to do by putting him with Reino and Sobotka.

Let's see how it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@DarthEbriate -- I agree that TT's role hasn't solidified yet, but it's not like he's played that much either.

I'd love to see him earn the role as "forechecker and sniper on 2ndary scoring line" -- which is what Howie is giving him a chance to do by putting him with Reino and Sobotka.

Let's see how it goes.

I think Reinhart will be good for Tage. I also have a hunch that Tage is going to be infuriatingly streaky (I mentioned this a few weeks back and some said "Like Stafford?" and... yes. Like Stafford.) He needs to get one fluky bounce goal, then get the confidence, and have Reino feed him some easy conversions.

But if this line is another temporary placement, then he's got to get AHL time (which, when Wilson is back, I still fully expect).

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think Reinhart will be good for Tage. I also have a hunch that Tage is going to be infuriatingly streaky (I mentioned this a few weeks back and some said "Like Stafford?" and... yes. Like Stafford.) He needs to get one fluky bounce goal, then get the confidence, and have Reino feed him some easy conversions.

But if this line is another temporary placement, then he's got to get AHL time (which, when Wilson is back, I still fully expect).

TT has been very streaky for sure. 13 straight without a goal to start the season. But he does have an assist and we know he can score goals given his whopping 3 in 41 games last year. 

Yeah, I'd say 2nd line sounds about right. In Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Let's see how it goes.

He needs to stop trying to do too much with the puck, and just figure out how to get open and shoot. Oh, and hit the net, too. My clearest memories of him on the ice are missing the net on a one-timer and missing the net on his SO attempt. You can't be a sniper if you can't hit the net... although, I do have plenty of memories of Kotalik's shots going off the glass...

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

A third option:  What if the Sabres are diving even deeper into the stats and taking analytics to a level we've not even seen.  A level so far ahead of the laity and the rest of the league that a decent roster can win at levels far above expectations?  Huh?  Huh?

Perhaps not all the decisions have been savant-level, but Pommer on line 1 was a stroke of genius. There may be something to this idea, even if they don't hit 100% of the time.

39 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Perhaps not all the decisions have been savant-level, but Pommer on line 1 was a stroke of genius. There may be something to this idea, even if they don't hit 100% of the time.

It may be as simple as looking at the same analytics as everyone else, but then running them up against the "sniff test."  Does this smell right?  As hockey men, you would hope that they would know which fancystats provide insight and which are BS based on their hockey experience.  They may have just changed the weightings of certain stats, for instance.

Let's put it this way:  Is there a fancystat that maximizes "line chemistry"?  I doubt it, and for that you need a hockey man.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

He needs to stop trying to do too much with the puck, and just figure out how to get open and shoot. Oh, and hit the net, too. My clearest memories of him on the ice are missing the net on a one-timer and missing the net on his SO attempt. You can't be a sniper if you can't hit the net... although, I do have plenty of memories of Kotalik's shots going off the glass...

I think TT's problem during game play is that his height is a disadvantage.  He takes up too much space in a lane so it gives defenders better opportunity to get a piece of him as he goes by.  He holds the blade of his stick too far away from his body, making it an easy target for stick checking.... or when he does try to pull it in tight, we get on his case for doing a toe drag.  I'm not sure what the solution is.... maybe we should make him a defenseman where being big is more of an asset.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Calling it:  Eichel breaks out of his goal slump with a hat trick tonight.  This time he doesn't hesitate with the empty net, because Pittsburgh.

Doohickie,

I appreciate your enthousiam.  It would be a real treat to see Jack torch the Pens.  I have a feeling though he is quite content playing the role of Jumbo Joe Thornton and piling up assists.  

Keep the streak alive!  Go Sabres!

beer

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think TT's problem during game play is that his height is a disadvantage.  He takes up too much space in a lane so it gives defenders better opportunity to get a piece of him as he goes by.  He holds the blade of his stick too far away from his body, making it an easy target for stick checking.... or when he does try to pull it in tight, we get on his case for doing a toe drag.  I'm not sure what the solution is.... maybe we should make him a defenseman where being big is more of an asset.

Hmm interesting

I hate to say it, but we’ve been playing with fire and we’re due for a let down. Been along time since I’ve said this for the Sabres, and it’s shocking against the Penguins, but this has the makings of a classic trap game.

Ah screw it, Casey finally blows up with a goal and two assists, Sheary scores twice.

Sabres 5-2.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

this has the makings of a classic trap game.

The Sabres are not good enough, long enough to be caught in a trap game.  If they do get caught, shame on Phil.  This will be a good test to see how grounded the Sabres are or if they are starting to believe all their positive press clipping of late.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Rob says crick. Finally he's speaking my language.

I thought same!  Having grown up in Springville, we said "crick" a lot. ?
That's what I like about Rayzor, he is real in his own skin.  Not worried about being mr. fancy pants analytics (while I do appreciate that perspective of mathematical metrics) or big ego famous guy full of himself.  He's just a WNY/Southern ONT regular guy.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.