Are We Now Buyers At the Trade Deadline?

bob_sauve28

Someone needs to start this discussion.

A high quality Right Winger to play with Jack and Jeff would win us a playoff series or two. 

Also adding a top center to make second line dangerous would sure be nice. 

A little more depth at defense is always a good thing. 

Get this done and we are looking at a team that could win in the playoffs. 

Or maybe its too soon to be looking at it this way?? 

We have three first round draft picks. Just saying. ? 

It's very early for this discussion.

The factor I'm leary about is disrupting the chemistry that is developing in this dressing room. Every year there are deadline deals  that improved the team on paper but fizzled out during the actual playoffs. They need to keep their eyes open for deals but not seek them out for a win at all cost playoff.

• Like (+1) 2

I think to answer the question we need to know where the Sabres are in standings.

If they are 5 points out of the 2nd WC spot, the analysis is different from the situation in which they are tied for that WC spot, which in turn is different from the situation in which they are solidly in the playoffs and tied for 2nd place in their division.

Let's suppose they keep playing well, probably lose a few more games in which they are dominated for the 1st half of the game by a high-end opponent (unlike winning ALL of those games as they have been recently), but are still solidly in the playoffs as we approach the deadline.  In that situation, any deadline additions would be made with an eye towards winning a round or 2.

I don't think in that situation that JBott would trade a 1st-rounder for a pure rental (ie a guy only under contract for the rest of this season).  I can see him doing so for the right guy with term remaining though, or trading a 2nd-rounder for a rental, or a 2nd-rounder that becomes a 1st if they re-sign him, or something like that.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We're not in win now mode, we haven't been all off season, and I'm not sure, if the management expected where we are now. I think we will play with house money now and see how far we go, keep the picks so we keep our cupboards stocked so we aren't lightning in a bottle. We will have some aging peeps on D and pommers leaving and will need replacements as well as clear upgrades to the "middle six" I think selling the farm to win now is a mistake. 

Why aren't we? We traded for Skinner in the offseason, that would seem to be an effort to help win now, since he only has  a year left on his deal. Just because the 'process' may have sped up a bit more than expected , no reason to not try to win.

I wouldn't expect a block buster but there are many high end RFA's that may be on the block this season.

8 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Why aren't we? We traded for Skinner in the offseason, that would seem to be an effort to help win now, since he only has  a year left on his deal. Just because the 'process' may have sped up a bit more than expected , no reason to not try to win.

I wouldn't expect a block buster but there are many high end RFA's that may be on the block this season.

Would love to acquire a high end RFA who can be part of the team moving forward. 

But we shouldn’t trade for a rental. We already sorta did with Skinner. 

It is far too early to tell if we will be buyers and to what extent.  As nfreeman pointed out it depends on the situation in the standings.  That will determine the type of buying.

All I have to say is that the Sabres better not be sellers this year.  Bloody hell!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
more nonsense from the fingers of NS ...
  • Like (+1) 1

Hell, yeah we are in win now mode.  The standings tell us all we need to know.  If we are still a playoff team at the deadline we should be trying to get another center and maybe depth D on the team.

And even if we are not a playoff team, adding a guy with another year on his contract still makes sense.  Next year 100% needs to be a win now year.

Really depends on what is out there and cost. Dont screw up the rebuild by mortgaging the future.  Anyone incoming will need time to acclimate to the system.  Might be tough to find such a guy that could play top 6 without large cost and still maintain chemistry... 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Ask me in 2 months

We should not trade those picks. 

Your first thought was on point. It’s too early. Your second thought does not follow the first one. We simply don’t know enough yet to make blanket statements about what should and shouldn’t be done (unless it’s done trade Jack Eichel/Rasmus Dahlin).

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Your first thought was on point. It’s too early. Your second thought does not follow the first one. We simply don’t know enough yet to make blanket statements about what should and shouldn’t be done (unless it’s done trade Jack Eichel/Rasmus Dahlin).

Actually I can hold both thoughts simultaneously. You're assuming we have to use those picks if we're deadline buyers. I disagree. 

Lots of variables at play with this thought process.

First is that there have been no significant injuries (knocking on wood) to this point. If and when that occurs, is the depth there to overcome the loss of an important player? Is that depth sitting in the press box or is it with the Amerks?

Secondly, seasonal fatigue will rear it's head. As the season progresses and the bumps and bruises multiply, it gets tougher every game to give everything you've got and be productive. I like the idea of rotating players up and down the lines as needed. Yes it messes with the chemistry, but it also recharges the batteries of guys like Pommers by allowing him a few games with reduced minutes against opponents less taxing. Like it or not, Pommers is a very big piece of this seasons success.

Woody said it best. To date, this team is playing much better than any of us expected. I think that includes JBot and the Pegula's. They say they are building for the long term and the current winning record is just a bonus at this point in time. Build the team for the long run and multiple years of contending for and winning Lord Stanley's Cup!

Let's not worry about the icing on the half baked cake. IF (a really big if) this cake is baking much quicker than anyone could have expected, and a particularly compelling flavor of icing is out there at the trade deadline, then maybe it would make sense. But that decision is a long time from now and there are lots of games to play before that can be considered. 

Now I'm suddenly hungry for cake. Bring me cake!

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Actually I can hold both thoughts simultaneously. You're assuming we have to use those picks if we're deadline buyers. I disagree. 

We've been on the other end of those trades since 2010.  Those trades never gave us much to work with, and our talent drained considerably in the process.  I could see being reluctant to give up a 1st round pick from a bad team, but if we're making the playoffs, I have no problem at all moving our 1st rd pick for the right player for the remainder of the season and 1st crack at him in the off season.  Those late 1st round picks are overrated in terms of what those players typically become.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't know what will be available.  It is doubtful that an RFA or an older guy with term that projects to be useful for 3 or so more years comes available; but if the right one does, he could be worth one of those 1sts.

I have faith that if Botterill does ship one or more of them out, that the return will be worth it.  Wouldn't have that same faith in Murray.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

Lots of variables at play with this thought process.

First is that there have been no significant injuries (knocking on wood) to this point. If and when that occurs, is the depth there to overcome the loss of an important player? Is that depth sitting in the press box or is it with the Amerks?

Secondly, seasonal fatigue will rear it's head. As the season progresses and the bumps and bruises multiply, it gets tougher every game to give everything you've got and be productive. I like the idea of rotating players up and down the lines as needed. Yes it messes with the chemistry, but it also recharges the batteries of guys like Pommers by allowing him a few games with reduced minutes against opponents less taxing. Like it or not, Pommers is a very big piece of this seasons success.

Woody said it best. To date, this team is playing much better than any of us expected. I think that includes JBot and the Pegula's. They say they are building for the long term and the current winning record is just a bonus at this point in time. Build the team for the long run and multiple years of contending for and winning Lord Stanley's Cup!

Let's not worry about the icing on the half baked cake. IF (a really big if) this cake is baking much quicker than anyone could have expected, and a particularly compelling flavor of icing is out there at the trade deadline, then maybe it would make sense. But that decision is a long time from now and there are lots of games to play before that can be considered. 

Now I'm suddenly hungry for cake. Bring me cake!

Bundt, I assume?

Here's one way of thinking about it. Would you trade this roster, today, for the roster Vaggas opened the season with a year ago (as you viewed it at that time)?

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

We've been on the other end of those trades since 2010.  Those trades never gave us much to work with, and our talent drained considerably in the process.  I could see being reluctant to give up a 1st round pick from a bad team, but if we're making the playoffs, I have no problem at all moving our 1st rd pick for the right player for the remainder of the season and 1st crack at him in the off season.  Those late 1st round picks are overrated in terms of what those players typically become.

I hear you except this year’s draft suppose to be deep.  Will need to eval next year’s draft before any such decision. And be careful who... 

Too early to be talking trade deadline IMO.  That's a long way away.  

We could go through several ups and downs before then and the season could look very different come early February.

If we are in a playoff position or on the cusp near the deadline, sure, it would be nice to bring in some help, but not if it compromises the future or growth of the team.  

If we can make this year's team better while still maintaining an eye to the future, sure, do some buying.

We've gone through WAY too much pain around here to sell short now!  The building process is not over and we are probably still several key pieces away from the team we all want to see on the ice.

Look at Skinner!  He's as valuable a guy as we have right now IMO and he has come very late to the party.

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I’m not assuming that at all. I just know it’s too early to say whether we’re buyers and it’s too early to say whether those picks should just be kept.

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

Super overrated. This was a thing before the tank but I think the tank especially conditioned many of us to think almost exclusively about the draft and cheap, young talent. IDEALLY, we keep those picks and add to the roster with other assets to push this team firmly into the playoffs.

Worth noting: we got our leading goal scorer without giving up a first-round pick.

10 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I hear you except this year’s draft suppose to be deep.  Will need to eval next year’s draft before any such decision. And be careful who... 

You're still talking about 2nd half of the round picks.  Those kids are middle-to-bottom 6/bottom pair players.  Role players.  Those are the most readily available players in the league.  I'm willing to forego a 50% chance at one of those for a better opportunity in the playoffs.

Edited by Weave

Again that is not what the forecasters are saying about this draft... and as such may make pic more valuable even if used as trade bait. I am not opposed, but bringing in a guy that doesnt fit even if good, may not meet expectations vs developing someone with talent.  Both may need summer of camp so anyone brought in should be viewed for long term potential not just a rental.  Maybe I am jaded by past attempts...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.