The NCAA has issues

LGR4GM

I still more upset about the parents. I am a person of faith, but that never interferes with my love and care of my children.  

I understand that homosexuality is a sin Catholicism but at some point that must be tempered by the duty of care to your children.  By all accounts this young lady is a good person and that should be enough for any parent. 

All I can say is that had she been my child this story would never had happened.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I understand your point, but the point in the article was that she did not want to choose between living expenses OR cross country.  You are projecting your priority into the mix. It was stated clearly in the article that she knew she could keep the donations but she wanted to have it all.

My priorities for this specific scenario, yes.  But it can be generalized way beyond that.  It's great that she wants it all.  Who doesn't?  But that's not how life works.  It's a crappy life lesson for this girl, but whatever happens, she'll face so many more of these decisions over time.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

My priorities for this specific scenario, yes.  But it can be generalized way beyond that.  It's great that she wants it all.  Who doesn't?  But that's not how life works.  It's a crappy life lesson for this girl, but whatever happens, she'll face so many more of these decisions over time.

I don't think the fall-out from being made the object of your parents' bigoted rejection is the place to learn lessons about how life is filled with tough choices.

I would also dispute the idea that a college athlete's desire to maintain NCAA eligibility, and have a place to live and food to eat, is "having it all."

Fortunately, the NCAA saw its way clear to figuring out a way to make this work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't think the fall-out from being made the object of your parents' bigoted rejection is the place to learn lessons about how life is filled with tough choices.

I would also dispute the idea that a college athlete's desire to maintain NCAA eligibility, and have a place to live and food to eat, is "having it all."

Fortunately, the NCAA saw its way clear to figuring out a way to make this work.

Of course that's not the ideal way to be learning this stuff, but we really need to stop pretending that this is anything close to an ideal world.  ***** happens.  Hell, what more evidence do you need of that than the fact that I continue to post on this board?

Didnt have to chose between my family and school... money and I and my Mom didnt get along... she constantly threatened me with it so I got a job at school and got free tuition 3/4 time as well as paying for my rent and living expenses.  Didnt have to hear it from her again or explain jack to her.  Best thing I ever did.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Of course that's not the ideal way to be learning this stuff, but we really need to stop pretending that this is anything close to an ideal world.  ***** happens.  Hell, what more evidence do you need of that than the fact that I continue to post on this board?

"Sh1t happens, life's tough, get used to it" has its place when someone is dealing with the arbitrary nature of the universe. A rough diagnosis. A job is lost through a merger. A hot water tank goes right before family's coming to visit.

It has no place when the issue at hand arises from active bigotry or affirmative acts borne of hate. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

10 hours ago, shrader said:

I understand your viewpoint.  The issue in this case is that there's no reason she should not have fought for what was the right thing to do.  If the NCAA had not changed it's mind she would have had to make a choice and then it really falls back to what you are talking about. 

You don't always get what you want, but if you never try to get it, you'll never get it.  I think that's what it boils down to.

5 hours ago, LTS said:

You don't always get what you want, but if you never try to get it, you'll never get it.  I think that's what it boils down to.

Within that boiled down reduction, I also perceive a large bureaucracy having shown some surprising flexibility in the face of one of its participants being subjected to brutal bigotry.

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I still more upset about the parents. I am a person of faith, but that never interferes with my love and care of my children.  

I understand that homosexuality is a sin Catholicism but at some point that must be tempered by the duty of care to your children.  By all accounts this young lady is a good person and that should be enough for any parent. 

All I can say is that had she been my child this story would never had happened.

Her story is all too common.  And homosexuality is not a sin in Catholicism.  Sex outside of marriage is, and since homosexuals cannot marry one another in the Church, it's the act, rather than the fact, that makes it a sin--one that most of us heterosexuals (likely including her parents) have committed hundreds and thousands of times.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Within that boiled down reduction, I also perceive a large bureaucracy having shown some surprising flexibility in the face of one of its participants being subjected to brutal bigotry.

By all accounts is the right outcome. It's unfortunate that it took widespread publicity to get the NCAA to act. I don't believe for a single moment that if this story never made it to national attention that the NCAA would have ruled in her favor.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Her story is all too common.  And homosexuality is not a sin in Catholicism.  Sex outside of marriage is, and since homosexuals cannot marry one another in the Church, it's the act, rather than the fact, that makes it a sin--one that most of us heterosexuals (likely including her parents) have committed hundreds and thousands of times.

Yeah, I don't even want to get started on that. I'm not religious and it's stuff like this that pretty much confirms I never will be. Her parents are turd blossoms. It was said they live around Rochester. I hope they move, far away.

Commentary on how the Catholic Church is mired in hypocrisy can go over to the Oval Office I suppose.

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

By all accounts is the right outcome. It's unfortunate that it took widespread publicity to get the NCAA to act. I don't believe for a single moment that if this story never made it to national attention that the NCAA would have ruled in her favor.

Yeah, I don't even want to get started on that. I'm not religious and it's stuff like this that pretty much confirms I never will be. Her parents are turd blossoms. It was said they live around Rochester. I hope they move, far away.

Commentary on how the Catholic Church is mired in hypocrisy can go over to the Oval Office I suppose.

It's hardly limited to Catholicism, though.  I think a few people here know that I volunteer with a shelter for homeless and runaway youth.  A healthy percentage of our population is kids who are forced to leave home because they're gay.  Like I said, all too common.  

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's hardly limited to Catholicism, though.  I think a few people here know that I volunteer with a shelter for homeless and runaway youth.  A healthy percentage of our population is kids who are forced to leave home because they're gay.  Like I said, all too common.  

I agree.  I only spoke of the Catholic Church because you had specified it.

I'm struggling to find the right words to use here.  But basically, if you choose to bring a child into this world you damn well better be committed to supporting that child. As parents, the child was created from your genetics. Whatever that child "is" came from your genetics. I don't care if your child is gay, has a mental of physical impairment, whatever it is.  You created this life and you damn well need to support it.  Anyone who shirks that responsibility can take go find a volcano to throw themselves into to appease the gods.

I gotta get away from this thread.  My blood pressure is rising just thinking of it.

Just now, LTS said:

I agree.  I only spoke of the Catholic Church because you had specified it.

I'm struggling to find the right words to use here.  But basically, if you choose to bring a child into this world you damn well better be committed to supporting that child. As parents, the child was created from your genetics. Whatever that child "is" came from your genetics. I don't care if your child is gay, has a mental of physical impairment, whatever it is.  You created this life and you damn well need to support it.  Anyone who shirks that responsibility can take go find a volcano to throw themselves into to appease the gods.

I gotta get away from this thread.  My blood pressure is rising just thinking of it.

You found the right words and expressed it wonderfully, IMO.

16 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Sh1t happens, life's tough, get used to it" has its place when someone is dealing with the arbitrary nature of the universe. A rough diagnosis. A job is lost through a merger. A hot water tank goes right before family's coming to visit.

It has no place when the issue at hand arises from active bigotry or affirmative acts borne of hate. 

That's way too sunshine and rainbows for me.  Saying that this stuff has no place is great, but guess what, it's still out there and it's not going away any time soon.  People need to learn how to deal with it.  And let's face it, thanks to the internet and the ratings driven 24 hour news cycle, it has been handed far more opportunities to broadcast those beliefs.  Even if they draw in just 1 out of every 1000 people who see/read it, these beliefs are never going to be weeded out.

8 hours ago, shrader said:

That's way too sunshine and rainbows for me.  Saying that this stuff has no place is great, but guess what, it's still out there and it's not going away any time soon.  People need to learn how to deal with it.  And let's face it, thanks to the internet and the ratings driven 24 hour news cycle, it has been handed far more opportunities to broadcast those beliefs.  Even if they draw in just 1 out of every 1000 people who see/read it, these beliefs are never going to be weeded out.

It's an imperfect world. But lumping together the proverbial slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with bigoted acts of malice is a mistake, IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.