GDT Buffalo Sabres @ Winnipeg Jets 8:00pm ET 11/16/2018

Doohickie

This really boils down to two things:

the Sabres like Thompson’s long-term potential and want to play him to develop him; it’s the same reason Mittelstadt hasn’t sat out.

and Housley trusts Sobotka more than most guys in his roster to clear the zone, take a draw, mark his check and not cough up the puck; it’s a situational thing.

You can call it playing favourites, but really it’s just valuing different elements within the context of the overall roster. From what I’ve seen, Sobotka is less likely to get make a major gaffe, or a good play. When you’ve got a lot of guys on your roster who are the opposite, it’s nice to have a few “reliable” guys on hand.

Personally I’d rather see Rodrigues, but its not like Phil doesn’t have valid reasons.

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This really boils down to two things:

the Sabres like Thompson’s long-term potential and want to play him to develop him; it’s the same reason Mittelstadt hasn’t sat out.

and Housley trusts Sobotka more than most guys in his roster to clear the zone, take a draw, mark his check and not cough up the puck; it’s a situational thing.

You can call it playing favourites, but really it’s just valuing different elements within the context of the overall roster. From what I’ve seen, Sobotka is less likely to get make a major gaffe, or a good play. When you’ve got a lot of guys on your roster who are the opposite, it’s nice to have a few “reliable” guys on hand.

Personally I’d rather see Rodrigues, but its not like Phil doesn’t have valid reasons.

He's not good at clearing the zone. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's not good at clearing the zone. 

He does have his share of outright fails, But if you read the entire Stimson article you posted yesterday, he’s second on the team in possession exits - 55% to ERod’s 38.7%

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, sabills said:

Anyone on here in the Charlotte,NC area, or know it? I'm driving down there now for a wedding and we don't have anything going tonight, so I might try to find a Buffalo bar to watch this game.

I've never been to Charlotte, but this looks promising:  Buffalo Wings & Rings.

Reddit likes Tavern on the Tracks.  I wonder why?

30697917_10156201105790279_8807095139282

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8pm game on a Friday... I figured I'd be busy and miss the game.  But Mother Nature delivered a foot of snow overnight so I'm already in "staying in" mode.

Let's go Buffalo...

I kinda want chicken wings tonight.  (random thought)

8 minutes ago, LTS said:

8pm game on a Friday... I figured I'd be busy and miss the game.  But Mother Nature delivered a foot of snow overnight so I'm already in "staying in" mode.

Let's go Buffalo...

I kinda want chicken wings tonight.  (random thought)

I like the way you think.

4 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Get out of that barn with zero injuries and I'll be happy. Not sure why I have a bad feeling about tonight with regards to that.....

Maybe its because they play a heavy game, very physical and fast. six forwards all 6' + tall and avg 205 and over weight.  Not for the faint of spirit. 

I think Bogo needs to drop em with Byfuglien  to set the tone we aint taken no sheet..

3 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Maybe its because they play a heavy game, very physical and fast. six forwards all 6' + tall and avg 205 and over weight.  Not for the faint of spirit. 

I think Bogo needs to drop em with Byfuglien  to set the tone we aint taken no sheet..

That won’t end well......

and the rest of your comments explain perfectly why Berg is in over Erod.

I can't find this year's stats but last season the Jets average height was 74.1 (1) inches...weight was 204.8 (6)...age was 26.8 (9 tie).

My take on tonight's game...

Maurice is playing Scheif's line (Ehlers scheif Wheeler) against the other team's top line and if he can't get that matchup, Lowry goes out...I prefer Lowry's line as the checking line but that's me. Lowry is a big dude and knows how to use his size unlike other unmentioned cough Myers cough players.

The PP has been on fire the last little while and I think they have scored 3 PP goals in the first 7 or so seconds of the PP in the last couple or 3 games. Stay out of the box as much as you can...PP is 34% right now. Wheeler is the qb from the halfboard and has 21 assists this year. If you take away Laine, Scheif will get you.

Doesn't look like Niku is getting to play (too bad) and Brossoit (3-0-0... 0.957 sv%) is in goal.

Myers, the 3rd pairing 5.5m dollar man has been putrid in is own zone as per usual. He's usually not too bad on the PK but he hasn't been very good there this season either. If he is out against one of your better lines, advantage Sabres. His partner, Morrow, is much worse. I truly believe the only reason he is on the team is because Trouba isn't signed long term (and probably won't be).

Speaking of Trouba, Maurice will try to get Trouba and Morrissey out every time Eichel's line is on the ice. If you guys have a big line, expect to see Buff and Chiarot as the D pairing on the ice.

The other lines will probably be 

KC Little Laine

Copp Lowry Tanev

Petan Roslo Perreault

D pairings

JMo Trouba

Chiarot Buff

Morrow (awful) Myers

Brossoit/Helle

1 hour ago, Weave said:

That won’t end well......

and the rest of your comments explain perfectly why Berg is in over Erod.

Well nobody has to really get hurt can't they just wrastle a little, you know one of those I hold your jersey you hold mine while we ice dance....?

Actually I thought they were line mates and buds when Zach was there but maybe it was more Kane like.. 

36 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I can't find this year's stats but last season the Jets average height was 74.1 (1) inches...weight was 204.8 (6)...age was 26.8 (9 tie).

My take on tonight's game...

Maurice is playing Scheif's line (Ehlers scheif Wheeler) against the other team's top line and if he can't get that matchup, Lowry goes out...I prefer Lowry's line as the checking line but that's me. Lowry is a big dude and knows how to use his size unlike other unmentioned cough Myers cough players.

The PP has been on fire the last little while and I think they have scored 3 PP goals in the first 7 or so seconds of the PP in the last couple or 3 games. Stay out of the box as much as you can...PP is 34% right now. Wheeler is the qb from the halfboard and has 21 assists this year. If you take away Laine, Scheif will get you.

Doesn't look like Niku is getting to play (too bad) and Brossoit (3-0-0... 0.957 sv%) is in goal.

Myers, the 3rd pairing 5.5m dollar man has been putrid in is own zone as per usual. He's usually not too bad on the PK but he hasn't been very good there this season either. If he is out against one of your better lines, advantage Sabres. His partner, Morrow, is much worse. I truly believe the only reason he is on the team is because Trouba isn't signed long term (and probably won't be).

Speaking of Trouba, Maurice will try to get Trouba and Morrissey out every time Eichel's line is on the ice. If you guys have a big line, expect to see Buff and Chiarot as the D pairing on the ice.

The other lines will probably be 

KC Little Laine

Copp Lowry Tanev

Petan Roslo Perreault

D pairings

JMo Trouba

Chiarot Buff

Morrow (awful) Myers

Brossoit/Helle

Yeah I watch some of the Jets and peek in on CI. Was watching the other night. I am kinda fond of the Jets after you traded us Dale Hawerchuk and Brad May for guess who  Phil Housley, Scott Arniel, Jeff Parker and Buffalo's 1st round choice (Keith Tkachuk) in 1990 Entry Draft.

You got your self a solid looking team there. Still not quite sure if you solved your Goalie woe's but it certainly looks promising right now. 

Best of luck to you except tonight, I would like to break Brossoit's streak and bring him back closer to his lifelong average... .  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.