TSN U-24 Top 10 Players

Thorny

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I love it. The Leafs will be spending more than $30 million on three players.

I love Barkov and he would be in my top 10, but I am surprised he’s in theirs.

Otherwise, some market pandering there for sure.

It's difficult to pick between guys like Eichel, Marner, and Barkov, right now. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree. Pettersson being that high TODAY was interesting, too. I mean, he's phenomenally talented. Is he a better player than Jack Eichel right now though? Mitchell Marner? I don't think so. 

Pettersson is up that high simply because of the shockingly fast start.  Heis one I definitely could see dropping.  Kind of surprised the kid from the Aisles didn't make the list.  (But glad he didn't, 'cause the author(s) would've dropped one of the Sabres off the list.

Notably: No Laine. 

I'm not exactly his biggest fan. But having Pettersson and Dahlin ranked ahead of him, right now, is pretty funny. Unless it's like a "picking a guy to start a franchise" type of ranking. 

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What are we thinking. 

IMG_7097.JPG

I think this type of stuff motivates Jack. Just a hunch.

Those are some good players on the list. As much as I'd like to watch more hockey, my observations of these players are when they play against Buffalo. That said, I don't usually come out of a game thinking Jack was outplayed by any of the mentioned names. I'm not saying Jack deserves to be first, but Jack has his flashes and I am thrilled he's a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry but what a bunch of BS.  Marner, Petterson even Barkov ahead of Jack.  I don't think so.  

Lets compare Jack to Marner.  

Jack has basically averaged a pt a game for the last 2+ seasons on the worst team in the NHL.

Marner is finally average a pt a game this season for the first time.  Marner joined one of the best teams in the NHL, granted he has made them better, but he has also, as recently as last season spent some time on the 3rd and 4th lines for Tor to get his game going.  He scored 22 last season, Jack has never had less then 24.  

Petterson is a rookie and is playing great, but also doesn't yet have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders.  Lets see what he does over a couple of season before saying he is at the top of the charts.

I'd also have Rantanen closer to the top.  He is a machine.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2018 at 6:38 PM, dudacek said:

I love it. The Leafs will be spending more than $30 million on three players.

I love Barkov and he would be in my top 10, but I am surprised he’s in theirs.

Otherwise, some market pandering there for sure.

If everything works out like it's appearing, we will be spending 30M+ on 3 players 

3 hours ago, LikeEich said:

If everything works out like it's appearing, we will be spending 30M+ on 3 players 

Are you thinking Casey, Rasmus and Jack?

Rasmus won’t get a new contract until 2021; the largest 2nd contract ever given a defenceman in the current CBA is the $7 million the Panthers gave Ekblad. He could be looking at $10 million, but he will need to be putting up 60-plus points on a very good team.

But Casey’s contract comes up in 2020. He is on pace for 24 points this year, or about half of what Sam Reinhart got in his rookie year. If he doubles that pace in year two he will be entering contract negotiations with, at best, the same bargaining power Reinhart had this summer, which earned him $3.6 million. To sniff $8 million he’d probably have to be putting up around 70 points. Leafs won’t pay Nylander that much for back-to-back 60 point seasons.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Are you thinking Casey, Rasmus and Jack?

Rasmus won’t get a new contract until 2021; the largest 2nd contract ever given a defenceman in the current CBA is the $7 million the Panthers gave Ekblad. He could be looking at $10 million, but he will need to be putting up 60-plus points on a very good team.

But Casey’s contract comes up in 2020. He is on pace for 24 points this year, or about half of what Sam Reinhart got in his rookie year. If he doubles that pace in year two he will be entering contract negotiations with, at best, the same bargaining power Reinhart had this summer, which earned him $3.6 million. To sniff $8 million he’d probably have to be putting up around 70 points. Leafs won’t pay Nylander that much for back-to-back 60 point seasons.

I was thinking more Skinner at 7.5-8, Eichel at 10 and Dahlin at the 12 range. In 3 years that's at least what he will cost. His play + the rising cap is why I'm projecting that.

But really it's not a stretch to think someone else other than Skinner may come in and earn a 8M. My point is and you're dealing with having 2 elite+/franchise players and a 3rd elite guy, good luck getting them under 30M.

Hopefully by that time we have a cup making it more worth it. 

Edited by LikeEich

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.