Practice Report: Thursday, 11-15-2018

WildCard

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

It got caved in repeatedly against Tampa with ERod out there.  If memory serves me correctly, he was particularly bad.  Meh.  

The bottom line there isn't ERod, it's Sobotka. Sobotka has never posted above 35% shot shares without Reinhart. Every line without Reinhart he's been on has posted tank metrics. Similarly, every line that ERod has been on, except for the line with-Sobotka-without-Reinhart, has been good and dangerous and ice-tilting. 

Phil doesn't know why things work when they work, if they aren't as obvious as Jack&Jeff averaging two goals between them.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

The bottom line there isn't ERod, it's Sobotka. Sobotka has never posted above 35% shot shares without Reinhart. Every line without Reinhart he's been on has posted tank metrics. Similarly, every line that ERod has been on, except for the line with-Sobotka-without-Reinhart, has been good and dangerous and ice-tilting. 

Phil doesn't know why things work when they work, if they aren't as obvious as Jack&Jeff averaging two goals between them.

All the yups. 

And it's not like these decisions are important enough to win and lose games on their own. Very few coaching decisions are. That doesn't mean I don't want Phil giving these guys the best chance to win every night. I don't feel he's been doing that since, for no reason, he blew up the best fourth line we've had, watched the decision absolutely crater our bottom six while getting lucky with sterling goalie performances and a comeback from guys that have NOTHING to do with the bottom six, and is scratching random players while missing the worst of the regular top six skaters in his pecking order. 

Just be better Phil. The players are. You have to be too. 

Especially because he's citing shots and scoring chances in his interviewPhil, the decisions you are making fly in the FACE of those metrics. Read a f*cking book dude.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

And it's not like these decisions are important enough to win and lose games on their own. Very few coaching decisions are. That doesn't mean I don't want Phil giving these guys the best chance to win every night. I don't feel he's been doing that since, for no reason, he blew up the best fourth line we've had, watched the decision absolutely crater our bottom six while getting lucky with sterling goalie performances and a comeback from guys that have NOTHING to do with the bottom six, and is scratching random players while missing the worst of the regular top six skaters in his pecking order. 

Especially because he's citing shots and scoring chances in his interviewPhil, the decisions you are making fly in the FACE of those metrics. Read a f*cking book dude.

Erod has almost twice as many shots as Sobotka. You'd think the head coach of the team would be aware and know that means something. Further Evan's corsi is 6.8% higher than Sobotka's. All the metrics tell us that Sobotka does not generate offense on his own

This is just another example of Housley being soft.   He doesn't want guys to sit for very long and getting angry so he's shuttling guys in and out of the lineup with no apparent rhyme or reason.    He's a people pleaser and doesn't want anybody mad at him.     

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This is just another example of Housley being soft.   He doesn't want guys to sit for very long and getting angry so he's shuttling guys in and out of the lineup with no apparent rhyme or reason.    He's a people pleaser and doesn't want anybody mad at him.     

He sat Balloon and Thompson for some 7 games straight...

56 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

FWIW, I've seen Howie repeatedly refer to advanced metrics in his interviews.  He definitely takes them into consideration in making his decisions -- he just doesn't base his decisions on them exclusively -- which is probably wise.

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tage to Rochester. Erod keeps his spot. Berglund on his left. Put Reinhart back there to help and move Pommers back to the first line. 

Like so?

Skinner-Eichel-Pommer

Sheary-Mitts-KO

Berglund-Erod-Reino

Zemgus-Larsson-Sobotka

I'd be happy to see how this works. 

But I think Pommer may be out of gas already.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I would guess that Phil doesn't come on here at all.

5 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

It got caved in repeatedly against Tampa with ERod out there.  If memory serves me correctly, he was particularly bad.  Meh.  

That's my memory as well. And his problem wasn't hustle. He always has that. He had a couple of really bad brain farts on some pretty simple plays.

6 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I thought that ERod had a particularly bad game against Tampa.  In fact, his game stuck out to me the most.  He seemed to be really neutralized by Tampa's physical play.  Given Winnie is a big, physical team, I can see why House would sub him out for Berglund.  Berglund has made a career out of playing in a bigger, stronger conference.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Weave said:

I thought that ERod had a particularly bad game against Tampa.  In fact, his game stuck out to me the most.  He seemed to be really neutralized by Tampa's physical play.  Given Winnie is a big, physical team, I can see why House would sub him out for Berglund.  Berglund has made a career out of playing in a bigger, stronger conference.

Hadn't thought of that. Well said 

The article in the athletic about our forwards is great. Basically covers the stuff we mentioned here. From rodrigues being better than sobotka to Reinhart being good at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. It's all there. Housley has bad lines 

https://twitter.com/RK_Stimp/status/1063222756035215365?s=19

Edited by LGR4GM

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The article in the athletic about our forwards is great. Basically covers the stuff we mentioned here. From rodrigues being better than sobotka to Reinhart being good at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. It's all there. Housley has bad lines 

https://twitter.com/RK_Stimp/status/1063222756035215365?s=19

As I said in the other thread it was posted in, it sure underscores the value of Sam Reinhart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.