Jack’s shooting % - Is it a problem?

GASabresIUFAN

Jack’s shooting % is at 5.8%.  He seems to be taking a lot of long range shots without screens and    for as good as Skinner’s been he hasn’t exactly returned the favor to Jack.

So the question is this even a problem? Will opportunity knock on the PP or will Sam as a line mate get him going? 

I hope he starts getting some good looks and this corrects itself. He seems to be staying out of the dirty areas because Skinner and Pommers have been so lethal in tight. Can’t argue with the overall team results, but I’d love to see Jack on the board! Mostly because:

I don't want want to change my name to to EichLobFromThePoint

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jack’s shooting % is at 5.8%.  He seems to be taking a lot of long range shots without screens and    for as good as Skinner’s been he hasn’t exactly returned the favor to Jack.

So the question is this even a problem? Will opportunity knock on the PP or will Sam as a line mate get him going? 

All Jack's rushes to the net resulting in good shots from the past have morphed into good rushes ending in passes/rebounds to Skinner which means Skinner has a high shooting percentage.  At some point Jack will learn he can actually take it to the net too and his percentage will go back up.

I can answer this question.

Jack's shooting percentage is fine. I know this because the team is winning and he's not the one scoring goals.

The Sabres are winning without their most talented player being the one who has to fill the net.

Yes, his shooting percentage is fine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

These things usually normalize over the course of a season. At worst, next year he'll shoot 20%.  

lol ,we can only hope. 

Yes Jack's sh% is abnormally low. His career avg of 9.6% is being tanked by this year. He will regress towards his average but when is harder to determine. I think shot selection is his biggest problem. He's something like 8th in the league in shots so he is generating chances. Of course all chances are not created equal. 

44 minutes ago, LTS said:

I can answer this question.

Jack's shooting percentage is fine. I know this because the team is winning and he's not the one scoring goals.

The Sabres are winning without their most talented player being the one who has to fill the net.

Yes, his shooting percentage is fine.

No it is not. That is a terrible shooting percentage. If you want to take the next step as a team we need Eichel's to bury the opportunities he is getting. Jack should be at 7 goals not 4. Over the course of a season that is a problem. 

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Speaking of...

William Karlsson's s% is back down to earth (though still very good) at 11% this year. He has 4 goals, and is on pace for a whopping 17 goal season, a 26g drop off from last year

This is exactly what is going to happen to Max Domi. Domi has gone from the extreme of last year to the opposite extreme this year. 26.3% up from 6% last year. Crazy. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is exactly what is going to happen to Max Domi. Domi has gone from the extreme of last year to the opposite extreme this year. 26.3% up from 6% last year. Crazy. 

Was wondering why he was having such a surprising year. Goes a long way to explaining Montreal as a whole then really

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Was wondering why he was having such a surprising year. Goes a long way to explaining Montreal as a whole then really

And it happens every year with a handful of players. They jump up 10-20% in shot percentage. Skinner right now is over his career sh% by a fair bit but nothing like Domi. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

And it happens every year with a handful of players. They jump up 10-20% in shot percentage. Skinner right now is over his career sh% by a fair bit but nothing like Domi. 

Oshie was the last big one I remember. Then the Caps paid him a ton and he went from 33g to 18g the next season. Still, he was a monster for them in the playoffs, so money well spent

Jack has the same amount of goals he had through 17 games last season. He's played 18 this season. He'll hit his December/January goal spurt like usual and finish around 30. 

Or he'll stay low and everyone will make fun of Jack Eichel the 18 goal scorer all summer long, and he'll be back to a 30 goal pace next year. 

Whichever happens, he's playing well and the team's playing well, and so it's not a problem. 

Ignoring the likelihood that his shooting percentage goes up let’s look at it this way:

Would you be happy if Jack and Jeff finished the year with the following stat lines? Skinner’s numbers are below current pace while Jack’s are right at current pace.

Eichel - 18 goals 68 assists for 86 points

Skinner - 45 goals 30 assists for 75 points

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Ignoring the likelihood that his shooting percentage goes up let’s look at it this way:

Would you be happy if Jack and Jeff finished the year with the following stat lines? Skinner’s numbers are below current pace while Jack’s are right at current pace.

With Jack, not really. It's silly I know but I need him to hit 20 goals

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

A $10 million offensive player can't be 39th in scoring (points per game). He just can't be.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A $10 million offensive player can't be 39th in scoring (points per game). He just can't be.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The difference between Jack and say 13th on the list... 0.2ppg. So he has some work to do and I think scoring goals would go a long way towards helping him out. PA I agree with, Jack isn't good enough right now, we need more. 

Agreed

It hasn't been a problem.

I'd actually take the other side and say that since they've been winning with him not having success shooting & we can very reasonably expect his shooting %age to rise, that they'll just be that nuch better when he does start potting them.

1 thing that would be interesting to know though is how many of his shots have ended up goals off deflections/ rebounds versus previous seasons?  Are his shots actually netting out to fewer goals than previously?  Knowing that answer might affect our answers to the OP's Q.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.