was Tage a targeted trade piece?

LGR4GM

So was he the target?

6 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Winger Tage Thompson, perhaps the biggest piece of the deal, was a former first-rounder the Sabres insisted the Blues include.”

Insisted? Idk, maybe the writer was there, but I don’t remember it ever being proven that Buffalo “insisted” on TT being included or else that trade wasn’t going down. 

4 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Doug Armstrong the GM of the Blues said that we insisted on Tage being part of the deal. Many sources out there that use that term 'insisted'. But heres the 1st one i got from google: https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20180702/newly-acquired-tage-thompson-eager-to-settle-in-with-sabres  And another one:https://www.sportsandotherthings.com/nhl/2018/7/2/ryan-oreilly-to-st-louis-is-another-step-in-the-wrong-direction-for-buffalo Obviously we don't know for 100% what JBots would've accepted or not. But all signs that i've seen point that Tage was a player they really wanted.

I'm still hopeful that Tage will develop into a productive player. He's got great size & has a great shot. Just needs more refinement & playing time imo. If he's not gonna get ice time up here, i'd like to see him sent down to Rochester so he can get more reps there.

Its funny though. That 2nd link i posted where they said the ROR trade was a wrong step for Buffalo... Looks like they were wrong & everyone else who said the sky was falling with that trade. ROR has been playing great for St Louis but we've been doing pretty good ourselves. I for one continue to see the trade as a win win for both clubs. #In JBots i trust 

51 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

It's quite possible that JBot "insisted" because Thomas, Kyrou, and others were not offered at all, so he "insisted" on getting what he could instead of some other throw-in piece.

I don't think theres any real way for any of us to know what goes on in private in talks between GM's. Any guesses are pure conjecture. One would think you'd target the other teams best players & work down from there & perhaps thats what JBots did. But we really have no idea what was discussed between the two of them. It is possible JBots liked what he saw & he valued Tage more so than Armstrong did & insisted on im coming over, but who knows. I do think its unlikely Tage was the 1st name Jbots brought up tho.

It's impossible to know who the Sabres wanted and, at least so far, tough to say if they waned the right guy or not.  Even with Thompson off to a so-so start, it's not like Thomas, Kyrou, or Kostin are obviously the better player long-term at this point.

Fingers crossed that JBot got the right guy.  And I really wish we were developing him in the AHL -- like we're doing with basically every other prospect we care about.

I'm not impressed at all with his play to date but with some development he could be a player. Reminds me of Myers at his tall and clumsiest self. Sorry Tage but I am pulling for you. We seem to have received fair value with the other fellas contributions but it would be nice to see you figure it out.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:01 AM, bunomatic said:

I'm not impressed at all with his play to date but with some development he could be a player. Reminds me of Myers at his tall and clumsiest self. Sorry Tage but I am pulling for you. We seem to have received fair value with the other fellas contributions but it would be nice to see you figure it out.

The Panthers  who make up my 1B team, Tage is a mirror image to Bjugstadt. Present-day Tage vs. same day Nick....... I hope Thompson can get as far as Bjugstad has. 

When I was talking to my Blues people during the O'Reilly trade and I had mentioned this was going to happen, the Sabres wanted more but there was no way they were going to take less than Tage in that deal.

The blues were reluctant but they wanted to get better right away with O'Reilly. They knew Thompson had to fill out and had a ways to go so they were willing to take that chance. I think this kid will be good in a couple of years though

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

When I was talking to my Blues people during the O'Reilly trade and I had mentioned this was going to happen, the Sabres wanted more but there was no way they were going to take less than Tage in that deal.

The blues were reluctant but they wanted to get better right away with O'Reilly. They knew Thompson had to fill out and had a ways to go so they were willing to take that chance. I think this kid will be good in a couple of years though

And that's the thing with Thompson.  He's not clueless on the ice.  He's more like "helpless".  He just doesn't have the strength to move the frame he's been given.  I would bet against lower skilled opponents he'll do just fine.  He's gotta beat NHL players to be successful.  If he can get into that frame he'll be a solid player.

I do want to see more of that top end shot he has though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.