Challenge to get to the quarter pole.

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wow 4-0.  I thought winning 3 of 4 would be a great result.  Granted we could have lost all 4 games, but we didn't and that is the key.  This team thinks it can win every night and it is.  

I'll say this.  But trading ROR to Stl and signing their goalie (Hutton) changed the dressing room for both team.  We gave up the better player (ROR) and he has been great for STL, but Hutton and the former Blues have clearly helped change the Sabres.

How much do you think Armstrong regrets not re-signing Hutton &/or buying out Allen?

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

How much do you think Armstrong regrets not re-signing Hutton &/or buying out Allen?

Most GM’s go with the younger goalie and Hutton wanted an opportunity to start.  I therefore don’t fault Armstrong for not signing Hutton.  

I also understand the ROR trade from his perspective.  He got an excellent, although dour player, that immediately improved his roster for 2 players he didn’t want anymore (Sobotka and Berglund) on bad contracts a decent but not great prospect and a 1st rd pick who is unlikely to be as good as the star player he received.  Sounds like a steal.  However that dour player isn’t a leader and isn’t a clutch player.  Stl with guys like Tarasenko, ROR, Schwartz and Schenn have been shutout in 3 of their last 4 games. 

Unlike Jbot, who figured out who were the problems in his dressing room and got rid of them, Armstrong keeps figuring that talent alone wins in the NHL.  While that certainly helps that isn’t always the case.   The Caps won the Cup with a talented and well coached team, but the talent wasn’t nearly as good as the teams that won President’s Cups.  Frankly I’m not surprised they aren’t as good without Trotz behind the bench. The Bolts teams in recent years are the most talented in the NHL but they haven’t won yet.  

I think the Blues need some guys with good character, a good coach (Quenneville) and better goaltending. As to character, guys like Sheary, Hutton, Berglund and Pominville.  Guys who know how to win, know how to lead and how to be a professional.  I think the hard road Sheary, Pominville and Hutton took to the NHL also gives them some perspective and a work ethic teams need.  I don’t think it is an accident that Jack and Skinner are better with Pommers on their line.

If I were Armstrong I’d waive Johnson, demote Allen to backup, trade Schenn for a goalie and Joel Quenneville tomorrow.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Unlike Jbot, who figured out who were the problems in his dressing room and got rid of them, Armstrong keeps figuring that talent alone wins in the NHL.

I was on the Blues forum at HF and relayed the locker room/dour thing and they accused me of mental gymnastics in trying to justify the trade.  I finally gave up and told them that yeah, they're absolutely right and the Blues were ready to turn the corner any day now.

As for your last sentence... do we have any goalies to trade for Schenn?  ?

On 11/17/2018 at 10:07 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

So we have just beaten TB (1st in East), Wpg (2nd in West) and Min (3rd in West).  Wow. Simply wow.  We have won 5 in a row, 3 in a row against the elite in NHL. We are 3-0 in likely our hardest stretch of the season. 12-6-2 after 20 games.  I wouldn’t have ever imagined that this season would start this way.

Who's that poster who kept theorizing that the Sabres were due for a "leap ahead" season at some point?

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who's that poster who kept theorizing that the Sabres were due for a "leap ahead" season at some point?

Not sure.  I thought we'd play 500 hockey in the 1st half and then take a leap forward in the second half when Dahlin and Mittelstadt accelerated their production if everything went well.  This season has exceeded my expectation ytd.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.