Practice Report: Monday, 11-12-2018

WildCard

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

100%, the biggest concern with the new lines is that Sobotka is really, really bad on any line that doesn't have Samson. I think Pominville/Sam should be fine, it's Vlad's line I'm worried about.

And Rodrigues, in this latest iteration, has Sobotka & IMHO a gassed Pominville to work with.  The kid is good, but will be surprised if he can cover for both.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

100%, the biggest concern with the new lines is that Sobotka is really, really bad on any line that doesn't have Samson. I think Pominville/Sam should be fine, it's Vlad's line I'm worried about.

The Sabres obliviousness to analytics is concerning.

14 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Don't think Erod can pull the carcass of Sobotka around again and also give Pommers a shoulder to lean on? You probably right, and the worse part is that Erod will get benched because of it but Sobotka will play on. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

The Sabres obliviousness to analytics is concerning.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't think Erod can pull the carcass of Sobotka around again and also give Pommers a shoulder to lean on? You probably right, and the worse part is that Erod will get benched because of it but Sobotka will play on. 

The thing that bugs me is that I don't even think you need analytics to see it. I think this board largely has the peg on what Vlad is and isn't, and I think metrics support the takes of the fairly general consensus, and then Vlad goes and gets the 4th most ES ice time of all Sabres forwards fairly regularly. (I haven' tchecked that as closely in the last few games)

Like I'm not mad at Vlad, I'm just wondering what Phil does on occasion. 

FTR, I think that about pretty much every coach always, so it's not the biggest deal in the world to me, but it's still puzzling. 

I think Phil considers Vlad among his best PK and faceoff options (probably true) and one of his most trustworthy defensive forwards (debatable; he’s very good positionally, but doesn’t usually translate that into stops, exits, or takeaways) and doles out his ice time accordingly.

I will say I would rather have him out there for a defensive zone draw than Kyle, Jeff, Jason, Conor, Tage and possibly Casey (vet bias). 

But his utility as a situational guy doesn’t account for the 5-on-5 use.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think Phil considers Vlad among his best PK and faceoff options (probably true) and one of his most trustworthy defensive forwards (debatable; he’s very good positionally, but doesn’t usually translate that into stops, exits, or turnovers) and doles out his ice time accordingly.

I will say I would rather have him out there for a defensive zone draw than Kyle, Jeff, Jason, Conor, Tage and possibly Casey (vet bias). 

But his utility as a situational guy doesn’t account for the 5-on-5 use.

Is there a coach that doesn't have his trusty vet that the fans question? 

It's sorta fun to have normal NHL problems again, in a way.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe Housley want to see more combinations...and it is best to try things out early in the season.  Move things around...so he can get an idea as to what he thinks will work or won't work...for later in the year especially if injuries hit.

I always wondered about that with Lindy; there's a certain logic to having everyone at least somewhat familiar playing with everyone else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.