Practice Report: Monday, 11-12-2018

WildCard

Like getting to see what Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart can do.

Not a fan of having Pominville on the Rodrigues line.  Doubt Evan can drive events for both his wingers.  And IF Jason can recharge his batteries a bit, most likely by taking a few days off, then he could be back with Jack & Jeff finishing what they start.  By not giving him a maintenance day or 2, really expecting Poms play to continue to slide.

Just now, Taro T said:

Not a fan of having Pominville on the Rodrigues line.  Doubt Evan can drive events for both his wingers.  And IF Jason can recharge his batteries a bit, most likely by taking a few days off, then he could be back with Jack & Jeff finishing what they start.  By not giving him a maintenance day or 2, really expecting Poms play to continue to slide.

Hmmm.

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Trying to get Reino going or Pommer running outta gas?

maybe some of both. but the latter for sure.

Just now, Taro T said:

Like getting to see what Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart can do.

Same. I think he slows that line down way too much.

Without spacing apart Reinhart to divvy the talent up, man it is so painstakingly apparent how poor our RWs are. Our main hope for next year is that Olofsson becomes something. And even then, that's really just replacing/upgrading Pomminstein. Hard to believe Botts enters next year without upgrading that

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Same. I think he slows that line down way too much.

Without spacing apart Reinhart to divvy the talent up, man it is so painstakingly apparent how poor our RWs are. Our main hope for next year is that Olofsson becomes something. And even then, that's really just replacing/upgrading Pomminstein. Hard to believe Botts enters next year without upgrading that

Well, assuming Okposo doesn't fall off a cliff, the RW's next year will be Reinhart (50-65 point player), Okposo (40 point player), Olofsson (goal scoring WC, especially if playing w/ Eichel & a re-signed Skinner), & Berglund (shut down RW).  That's before making any moves.

How much of an upgrade are you looking for?

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, assuming Okposo doesn't fall off a cliff, the RW's next year will be Reinhart (50-65 point player), Okposo (40 point player), Olofsson (goal scoring WC, especially if playing w/ Eichel & a re-signed Skinner), & Berglund (shut down RW).  That's before making any moves.

How much of an upgrade are you looking for?

Lot of it depends on Olofsson and Okposo. I'd rather not go into the season with those as our primary options for the middle lines. Little too much uncertainty for me

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is Okposo going to be an uncertainty for the remainder of this contract for you because of his previous health issues and/or the fact he’s turned 30?

Neither. Well, I guess both? But he's currently slow and meh now, and he's not going to get any faster 

Hmmmm.  I feel like Reino kinda gets lost when he plays with Jack and Skinner, and that his talents are better used with ERod and Sobotka.  I think Jack and Skinner need someone like Pommer (but with younger legs) -- i.e. smart, fast, knows how to get to an open spot down low, and sure-handed to light the lamp when he gets it.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry to beat dead horses @nfreeman but Reinhart is a faster skater and a much faster hockey player than Pominville.

Correct.

The problem with moving Reinhart to the top line, for me, is that moving Pominville off of it makes the other lines a little too slow. For me if Pommers' slowness isn't on a line where it can be absorbed/covered up, then he doesn't really have a spot on my team. 

• Like (+1) 3

This conversation is interesting.  Pommers' speed, or lack thereof, might have been an asset on the Eichel line because, while his legs were able, we had just enough turbo boost and speed to position himself properly while Jack and Skinny attracted all of the attention.

Now that his legs have worn out, maybe he can't quite keep up.  He'll likely ride that see-saw all season.

Meantime, I view Samson as a perfect candidate to fill in that role, assuming he's been paying attention to how Pommers was doing what he was doing.  I seem to recall having the impression that Samson was getting clogged up on the boards a lot of the time in the past when playing with Jack.  With Skinny playing the role Samson was formerly expected to fulfill with Jack, maybe there's a chance it works.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Correct.

The problem with moving Reinhart to the top line, for me, is that moving Pominville off of it makes the other lines a little too slow. For me if Pommers' slowness isn't on a line where it can be absorbed/covered up, then he doesn't really have a spot on my team. 

I think the issue with Pominville isn't how fast or quick he can be -- if fully rested, charged up, ready to go -- it's what his speed and quickness become after an extended stay on Eichel's and Skinner's line. I'm with @Taro T -- he just looks a bit gassed.

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think the issue with Pominville isn't how fast or quick he can be -- if fully rested, charged up, ready to go -- it's what his speed and quickness become after an extended stay on Eichel's and Skinner's line. I'm with @Taro T -- he just looks a bit gassed.

I think he's going to have to work a lot harder off of that line than on it. You think he looks tired now, just wait...

• Sad 1

I don’t think the change is about Pommers energy level.  I think this change is as simple as, Sam has a hot hand and has earned ice time on the top line.  As soon as he cools off he’ll be playing with Erod again and the next hot RW will get a crack.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Hmmmm.  I feel like Reino kinda gets lost when he plays with Jack and Skinner, and that his talents are better used with ERod and Sobotka.  I think Jack and Skinner need someone like Pommer (but with younger legs) -- i.e. smart, fast, knows how to get to an open spot down low, and sure-handed to light the lamp when he gets it.

If he plays 5-on-5 like he's played PP in the past, I think he's your man.  And if he regularly plays that way it could help get him back where he used to be on the PP.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t think the change is about Pommers energy level.  I think this change is as simple as, Sam has a hot hand and has earned ice time on the top line.  As soon as he cools off he’ll be playing with Erod again and the next hot RW will get a crack.

Dude, get back on the #narrative before anyone notices.

?

30 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Correct.

Prior to the Larsson line clicking like it had (the Hab game notwithstanding), would've been fine with him on the 4th line.  But right now, it's 1st line or bust for my preference.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's how the season started out.  It got blown up before the western road trip.

It got blown up in the 2nd period of the Bruins game.  But, oddly enough, when Skinner & Eichel were reunited they became the core of one of the league's top lines.  If Pominville can't keep up, why not see how what looked to be the top line heading into the opener will work?.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.