What was broken, what changed?

dudacek

There were many who ranked our defence corps at the absolute bottom of the league going into the season, Everything (except Marco) has gone right and it will be interesting to see if it can be sustained.

I still see some passing and defensive zone coverage issues, but the system play and the offensive contribution is much improved. One thing that isn’t said much about our group is that in addition to skating quite well, it is a rugged bunch. I don’t think we are among the fastest, or among the toughest, but we combine the two qualities in a way most teams don’t.

Honestly, just about everything.

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There were many who ranked our defence corps at the absolute bottom of the league going into the season, Everything (except Marco) has gone right and it will be interesting to see if it can be sustained.

I still see some passing and defensive zone coverage issues, but the system play and the offensive contribution is much improved. One thing that isn’t said much about our group is that in addition to skating quite well, it is a rugged bunch. I don’t think we are among the fastest, or among the toughest, but we combine the two qualities in a way most teams don’t.

What is impressive to me is the calmness they display in their own end even under pressure and the way they execute these little touch passes to each other to get out of the zone and move up ice with speed.

Sometimes these can get a little too cute and end up as bad turnovers but overall its amazing to watch just how much better they are at doing this than they were last year...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s been a near best-case scenario on the blueline. We’ve effectively added three top-4 defencemen in Dahlin, a healthy Bogosian and a much-improved McCabe.

Dahlin is everything we could have hoped; his body control, puck placement and brain are special. He has adjusted to NHL speed very quickly and continues to grow. The offence is starting to come (9 points in 12 November games) and he has moved on to the second pair and flirted with the first PP. Cant wait until he has developed man strength and learned the league.

I’ve never been a bunker dweller, but I have never seen Zach Bogosian so steady in his own zone. He’s running around much less and just swallowing guys up with his strength and mobility. His PK work has been outstanding. He’s starting to join the offence more lately too.

I don’t know if he was hurting bad last year or not but Jake McCabe looks like a legit 2nd pairing guy in his 4th season. He’s capable in both zones and even creating some offence. He battles all the time and doesn’t look exhausted and hanging on like a terrier in a wolf fight, like he used to.

Risto is Risto and Beaulieu and Nelson have been fine in the six role. Scandella not looking like his usual 4 is the only disappointment. It’s been remarkable and we have to be nervous about how long it’s going to last.

Edited by dudacek

• 3 weeks later...

It has been amazing watching Jack's confidence grow every game. I don't know what was prettier, his two top shelf goals on the short side with a space barely big enough for the puck to get through, or his two passes yesterday on both Skinner's goals. Just unreal. He's no tied for top 5 points in the league, only a few points behind McDavid.

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Bump ...

After watching this season compared to last season the biggest thing to have changed is this ...

Jack has finally figured out what it takes to be a leader and winner in the NHL.

I think this is mostly right.  Jack is putting alot more effort out there this season.  Nothing taken for granted.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO Dahlin is having a greater affect on this team than we give him credit for.    His calmness with the puck, willingness to take calculated risks, doesn't get rattled if he makes a bad play... is rubbing off on the entire D-corps.     As a somebody who played competitively, having a player like that on your team, the qualities they bring can be highly infectious. 

If I had to rate what's having the greatest impact on their turn-around...

1 - Goaltending
2 - Dahlin
3 - Skinner (shooting 23.5%)

• Like (+1) 2

Watching the start of the first powerplay and seeing the pre-faceoff interaction between Skinner and Eichel got me thinking that the biggest change is that Skinner's hyper-competitiveness has fully rubbed off on Jack.  Instead of feeding off Sam's laid back, west coast style, Jack is all in with Skinner in a game of Top This.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Watching the start of the first powerplay and seeing the pre-faceoff interaction between Skinner and Eichel got me thinking that the biggest change is that Skinner's hyper-competitiveness has fully rubbed off on Jack.  Instead of feeding off Sam's laid back, west coast style, Jack is all in with Skinner in a game of Top This.

I expected that the addition of Dahlin would have a similar effect. Imagine finally having someone that talented to go up against in practice every day?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.