Scoring is at its highest level since 1995-1996

matter2003

23 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yes, I do believe this is the main reason although I also think the shift to the fast skating 5 players activated all over the ice model has contributed as well. 

By that I mean I see more defense men then ever before jumping into the plays in offensive zone. That style worked for some of the recent Stanley cup winners and that is now being copied for its success. So more nimble defense men vs the lumbering Dion Phenuf's  of the world working as a five man unit all over the ice.

It is definitely a reason the Sabres have been better.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks, matter. I was thinking about looking this up.

The NHL seems to have approached the problem conservatively, as is their wont. They took a bunch of small steps, but maybe they've all added up. Besides what woods said, there's also the faceoff change to have the defending player always put his stick down first (previously road team did) and no timeout after icing.

More: https://www.nhl.com/news/analysis-rules-changes-could-create-more-scoring/c-730220

50 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The slashing of the hand penalties, holding calls and hooking penalties all seem to be called more liberally allowing shooters to get shoots they couldn't before and they're in more dangerous areas on the ice.

The NHL may get this right.

I think that that has had the greatest impact.

Smaller goalie equipment, smaller faster and better skilled players, and more penalties called on players who obstruct these skilled players and you have a recipe for more scoring.

This result was the goal of the rule changes dating back to the first lockout.  

Frankly the game is more fun this way.

Smaller chest protectors... finally.

I've been saying it for years... if they want to increase scoring, reduce the ginormous chest protectors.

Goalies need to compensate by staying taller in the net, coming out more to challenge, which create other types of opportunities on rebounds, etc.. 

And they want smaller catching gloves soon too...

Edited by pi2000

On 11/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, woods-racer said:

The slashing of the hand penalties, holding calls and hooking penalties all seem to be called more liberally allowing shooters to get shots they couldn't before and they're in more dangerous areas on the ice.

The NHL may get this right.

Until the playoffs when all of that goes away again?

47 minutes ago, Weave said:

Interesting that the title says scoring at highest level since 95-96.  That timeframe was ruled by New Jersey and the trap.  It was the dead puck era.  Crazy that the scoring got worse after that.

The season before the lockout that preceded it pretty much spawned the dead puck era (Hasek's unthinkable sub-2.00 GAA came in '93-'94, but that was still at the very beginning of it.  The hockey was nowhere nearly as bad mid-90's as it was when Calgary lost to Tampa in '03.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

The season before the lockout that preceded it pretty much spawned the dead puck era (Hasek's unthinkable sub-2.00 GAA came in '93-'94, but that was still at the very beginning of it.  The hockey was nowhere nearly as bad mid-90's as it was when Calgary lost to Tampa in '03.

Not only the trap but the butterfly goaltenders from Patrick Roy to Hasek took away the bottom part of the net and eliminated a significant amount of scoring.  Then the goalies got huge to cover the entire net and then the equipment got even bigger.  Is it really hard to believe that scoring was worse in the 2000's plus then it was in the dead puck era.

Scoring has dipped slightly below 2005-06 now, by .01 goals per team per game...look at the 7 years prior to the lockout where 5 of the 7 years had team averages under 2.7 goals per game...then it went up coming out of the lockout for a few years and it was heading right back towards that again for the last 7 years...

Notice the save percentages in the .880-.895 range for a long time in the 90's and then we saw them start creeping up all the way to .910 and .915 the past 8 or 9 years...even this year is still relatively high in comparison at .909 which means some of the explanation is that teams are taking more shots on goal than prior years and that perhaps that might be most of the difference rather than the equipment...

image.thumb.png.6a4b787b3504dc4b89fc74341f2a5848.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.