How fast is Dahlin, actually?

erickompositör72

He's always described as "smooth-skating," "fluid," "effortless," etc... but is his speed elite for a defenseman, or is he faster than most forwards in the league?

I get the sense that he's not as fast as an Eichel or a Skinner (or maybe even Sheary), but ahead of everyone else on our team.

I don't feel we've really gotten a chance to see him blow by people with raw speed/acceleration, or maybe I've just missed it.

Don't get me wrong- I definitely drool at his talent. I'm just wondering if "the Connor McDavid of defensemen" was misleading? Or just implied that he'll look like Connor McDavid if he's compared to all other Dmen?

He's not really super fast, but he's more than fast enough to not have any problems becoming elite at everything. And the edgework and agility you mention IS top top tier. 

A guy like Miro Heiskanen has burning straight line speed (so does Guhle) but it's not necessary to being a ridiculously fluid transition and offensive defenseman. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

He's always described as "smooth-skating," "fluid," "effortless," etc... but is his speed elite for a defenseman, or is he faster than most forwards in the league?

I get the sense that he's not as fast as an Eichel or a Skinner (or maybe even Sheary), but ahead of everyone else on our team.

I don't feel we've really gotten a chance to see him blow by people with raw speed/acceleration, or maybe I've just missed it.

Don't get me wrong- I definitely drool at his talent. I'm just wondering if "the Connor McDavid of defensemen" was misleading? Or just implied that he'll look like Connor McDavid if he's compared to all other Dmen?

I think it's worth noting that he's really playing a pretty conservative game at the moment because he's a rookie. I expect we'll see more speed and risk from him as he gets comfortable. 

His skating is so good though. One thing that always gets me is that his turns to the left (his weak side) are just as tight as to the right. Most players, even at this level, have a side they are more comfortable turning to and you'll notice forecheckers anticipate the turn to the strong side. Dahlin turns to the weak side and it lets him escape pressure. A very nice skill to have as a defenseman. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you watched "the goal" from last night, you saw how fast Ristolainen is.  Dahlin is faster.  Remember, he's a defenseman and not a forward.  His backskating speed might be more important than his forward speed.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Exactly as fast as is called for by the situation.

That's my impression. 

Id add that Dahlin is also quick. He hits the speed he needs fast and he's agile AF. That Montreal game we started to see him start pushing and I think we're rapidly closing in on his coming out party. The fact he's so good in his own end, at 18 is amazing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.