Eichel's Season So Far

WildCard

Superstars produce as needed. Jack right now is doing that. Is Jack perfect? No player is he is far from it. Does he get  a little sloppy at times and make mistakes? Sure. If Jack produces goals, assists, 2nd assists, whatever it is, leadership on a consistent level, that is what we drafted him to be.

Also, he will be measured on the franchise and its success. As long as this continues, Jack is doing just fine,

3 hours ago, Swedesessed said:

Also, he will be measured on the franchise and its success. As long as this continues, Jack is doing just fine,

I think between the beginning of last season and the start of this, that sunk in for Jack, and it's made all the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually think he's the same, it's just that he finally has a winger who can play at his preferred tempo and so he doesn't have to slow it down for his line mates.  Jack had to take his speed down for Sam, but Skinner allows him to take it up to the level that makes him a bigger threat. He also gets less D focus as they have to account for where Skinner is. It's all about the chemistry of the line.

• 5 weeks later...

Absurdly good article on Eichel with gifs and quotes about his season so far

•   With 10 goals and 28 assists, he's on pace to record the first 100-point season for the Sabres since Pat LaFontaine and Alexander Mogilny did so in 1992-93. No Sabre has even reached the 90-point mark since Daniel Briere in 2006-07. 

•   Eichel's on pace for 74 points at even strength, which would rank third in franchise history behind LaFontaine and Mogilny's marks of 83 and 78, respectively, in 1992-93.

Here's the list of players who have eclipsed 74 even-strength points in a single season since the 2004 lockout: Connor McDavid (84 in 2017-18), Henrik Sedin (83 in 2009-10), Evgeni Malkin (75 in 2011-12) and Alexander Ovechkin (75 in 2007-08). 

•   All of this has come despite an uncharacteristically low shooting percentage of 7.2, two percent lower than Eichel's career average. He leads the NHL with 138 shots, and they've begun to fall as of late, with five of his 10 goals having come in his last three games. 

What's attributed to the consistent production? Age and experience, of course, as well as healthy contributions from linemates Jeff Skinner, Sam Reinhart and Jason Pominville. But the first word that came to mind when Eichel was asked on Wednesday was "work."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-jack-eichel-practice-report-scoring/c-302864554

• Like (+1) 2

One aspect of Howie's coaching that I've noticed (and appreciated) this season is that he's putting Jack in captain-type situations -- i.e. giving him the chance to grow into the role and demonstrate leadership to his team.  Extra shifts when there is an O-zone faceoff, shifts late in the game when the Sabres are protecting a 1-goal lead, leading off in OT and in the shootout, even PK shifts -- Howie is very clearly showing his team that Jack is the man to be looked to in all situations.

And Eichel has responded very well to the workload and the responsibility. 

He's turning into a legit great player.

How many goals would Jack have if he had someone like Jack passing to him.  Think of it this way.  Skinner has 22 goals in 32 games on only 97 shots for a whopping shooting % of 22.7%.  His career number is 11.3%.

Sadly, Jack has to make his own opportunities most of the time, thus the low shooting%.  This probably isn’t going to change even with a passer as gifted as Reinhart on his line.  Why?  Because the offense runs through Jack.  He is the QB of the PP.   His teammates defer to him when they get the puck to set up the cycle in the offensive zone.  

This will only change when Dahlin eventually assumes some of those roles over the next few years and this will actually allow Jack to blossom as a scorer as he will finally have someone on his level who can deliver the puck to him in prime scoring areas.  

Please don’t read these comments as a slight on Jack.  The are actually the contrary.  I think Jack is potentially a 40 goal scorer and it has always annoyed me that someone who can beat an unscreened goalie with a simple wrist shot only has a 10% career shooting %.  It finally dawned on me that Jack shoots for a variety of reasons, not simply to score goals.  I believe that many of the shots he takes are actually passes in disguise.  He takes these shots to create rebounds and allow his in tight players like Kane, Skinner, Pommers and Reinhart to clean up the mess.

I haven’t yet done the research, but I’d bet a significant % of Jack’s assists, say 60% or more, come from line mates scoring on rebounds or tips from shots Jack directed on net.

Also Jack has 15 multi point games with season.  The Sabres are 9-3-3 in those games, but in the 3 games in which Jack has scored twice in the game we are only 1-1-1.

Eichel vs MacKinnon  - Most hockey people talk about MacKinnon as one of the top couple players in the NHL.  His 97 pts (1.31 pts/gp) in 74 games last season at age 22, which included 39 goals, was an MVP type season.  However, our friend Jack has put up better numbers through the 1st 3 years of his career and like Mac, he is having a breakout season at 22. Unlike Mac, Jack isn’t playing with another all around elite player like Mikko Rantanen. Skinner is a great scorer and Reinhart is a solid all-around winger, but neither is in the same zip code as Rantanen.

Eichel 

Age 19 - 81gp 24g 32a 56pts = .3 g/gp .73 pts/gp

Age 20 - 61gp 24g 33a 57pts = .39 g/gp .93 pts/gp

Age 21 - 67gp 25g 39a 64pts = .37 g/gp .95 pts/gp

Age 22 - 32gp 10g 29a 39pts = .31 g/gp 1.22 pts/gp

MacKinnon

Age 19 - 64gp 14g 24a 38pts = .22 g/gp .59 pts/gp

Age 20 - 72gp 21g 31a 52pts = .29 g/gp .72 pts/gp

Age 21 - 82gp 16g 37a 53pts = .2 g/gp .65 pts/gp

Age 22 - 74gp 39g 58a 97pts = .53 g/gp 1.31 pts/gp

Age 23 - 31gp 20g 27a 47pts = .65 g/gp 1.52 pts/gp

Rantanen

Age 20 - 73gp 20g 18a 38 pts = .27 g/gp .52 pts/gp

Age 21 - 81gp 29g 55a 84 pts = .36 g/gp 1.04 pts/gp

Age 22 - 31gp 13g 39a 52 pts = .42 g/gp 1.68 pts/gp

The chemistry between Mikko and Mac is undeniable.  They have raised each other to the pinnacle of the NHL.  I think it also proves my point about Jack.  Jack’s numbers from 19-21 are significantly better then MacKinnon. If you put a player like Rantanen with Jack and his numbers would at least be on the same level as MacKinnon’s. Rantanen’s passing ability has turned MacKinnon shooting % around.  Mac’s shooting % over his 4 four seasons were 10, 7.3, 8.6 and 6.4.  Mikko shows up and Mac goes to 13.7 last season and 15.2 this year.  Jack’s 1st 4 years shooting % are 10.1, 9.6, 10.2, and 7.2. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

love all the hot takes about Eichel even after yesterdays game. some random quotes i saw last night;

"Eichel is on a hot streak right now, but there are still 15 other guys I would take over him"

"Eichel is only good because he has Skinner"

"he's a showboat a__hole every time he scores" (from a Bruins fan who probably thinks Marchand isn't a d-bag)

"he still isn't in the same world as McDavid and Matthews"

1 hour ago, Marions Piazza said:

love all the hot takes about Eichel even after yesterdays game. some random quotes i saw last night;

"Eichel is on a hot streak right now, but there are still 15 other guys I would take over him"

"Eichel is only good because he has Skinner"

"he's a showboat a__hole every time he scores" (from a Bruins fan who probably thinks Marchand isn't a d-bag)

"he still isn't in the same world as McDavid and Matthews"

I love just making comments about Eichel being better than Matthews on reddit and watching the Toronto fans freak out.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I remember earlier in the season when Leafs fans were talking how Mitch Marner was better than Eichel. Giggle.

Didn’t we discuss some published list that had Marner rated higher then Jack?

Seriously, how many guys in the NHL not named McDavid would you want to build around over Jack?

I showed above Jack’s favorable comparison to MacKinnon.  I love Barkov, but he isn’t as dynamic offensively as Jack.  Matthews? Marner? Who?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Didn’t we discuss some published list that had Marner rated higher then Jack?

Seriously, how many guys in the NHL not named McDavid would you want to build around over Jack?

I showed above Jack’s favorable comparison to MacKinnon.  I love Barkov, but he isn’t as dynamic offensively as Jack.  Matthews? Marner? Who?

I can name 1 but he also plays for the Sabres so I sleep really well at night. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.