Eichel's Season So Far

WildCard

I think Eichel has the skill set to be whatever the team needs him to be and I think that's his greatest asset.

Right now they need someone to drive the puck and set up teammates and he's doing that.  Other than when he's trying to enter the zone 1 on 3 /4 many teams are backing off when he has the puck.  He wins a lot of board battles and has demonstrated his core strength numerous times this season.

The goals will come because at some point the opponent is going to begin looking more for Skinner than Eichel and things should open up a bit for him.  I think that's what I love about those two together.  They can both drive the play with the puck and have found a way to work together that creates problems for other teams.

My perspective on the "Eichel can do more" category is that we still see him make some "youthful" plays where he tries to thread defenders or makes a really bad pass.  I almost feel like he's the equivalent of the gunslinger QB.  The turnovers will happen but you can take it because of the scoring. I don't think we've seen everything we're going to see from him.

Last night I noticed that he was one of the first people to Ristolainen when he scored.  As far as I knew, Eichel was not on the ice (he might have just changed) when Risto took the shot.  He's been really great in that manner and he's been proving the "C" belong on his chest.

First, I like the way Eichel is playing so my post is't meant to be negative. 

It seems to me Eichel had a great handle - I wouldn't necessarily say he could dangle but I always thought he had great keep away ability.  However I always felt the long stick kept him too upright - especially with him being a tallish player.   I was really hoping the smaller stick would only improve his puck handling and allow him to be slightly lower.  

The interesting thing for me is - I think his puck handling has suffered.  I have no idea if it's related to the stick.  I've also noticed that defenders are crowding him more - especially on the power play in that mid left hand spot.  I'm curious about this.  

Another poster mentioned he's not finding those angles he had in the first couple seasons and getting off that elite wrist shot.  I would have thought with a shorter stick - crowding him (getting closer) would be in Jack's benefit, but it hasn't. 

Anyone else notice this?

Edited by 7+6=13

My all time favorite, Gilbert Perreault, was more of an assist man, but could certainly put the puck in the net.  But he also had Rick Martin on his wing (and Rene on the other side).  If Jack is Gilbert I have zero problem.  However, I think it becomes more compelling that we retain Skinner or someone like Olofsson develops.  A Perreault/Eichel needs a Martin/Skinner or (Lafontaine/Mogilny) to  really accentuate his and the teams' performance.

Jack's effectiveness at getting out of board battles and any situation in tight with the puck has gotten orders of magnitude better, in part because of the stick length. It's worth the fact that it'll take him half a season or so to not sometimes mishandle the stick in the open on a rush. And it's not going to meaningfully impact his shot long-term

The team is in the playoff discussion. I hope he has individual success, but the team comes first. He is a big part of it and has assumed a leadership role he will improve on every game.

I don't want him winning the Art Ross while the team misses the playoffs. Not dismissing McDavid's accomplishments, but most of them prefer team championships.

He probably is not elite but darn close. Dahlin's growth will also bring out more from Jack.

I thought he looked as good last night against the Habs as I have ever seen him.  

He was very physical and played with intensity for the entire game, on top of all the elite skill stuff he was doing.

He needs to be on that level every night, b/c for him, it's possible.  

That's the aspect of Crosby's game that has been the most impressive; he doesn't take nights off and he brings his best all the freaking time, for years.

PS:  off-topic, but Skinner is the best acquisition this team has made in a long time.

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

He's at 16 gp, 4-15-19 pts, for a pace of 98 points this season.

He has 15 assists already, his previous career high was 39 in 67 gp, so .58 / game. Right now he's at .94 / game.

So, how do you feel about him? Is he finally come around to what we can expect; the playmaker instead of the scorer? Is it Jeff Skinner, is it Eichel, or is it the team as a whole? How do you feel about the C so far, and his effort on and off the ice?

That play last night on the face off was just something only really special players pull off. Wow! That was such a great game last night. 

He has been great and is a real hockey player, leader and scorer. Love him! 

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm happy so far this year obviously. I want to see him take another step though.  So far in his career, I see Eichel as an all-star caliber player..not an elite player.  He needs to take a step up for me to consider him Elite.  If he continues at this pace and finishes in the top 5 or 6 in the league in scoring, then I'll start to entertain that 'elite' status again.   I do like that he has shown the ability to be able to seemingly "switch on-off" between a scorer and a playmaker.

The great thing is that he's still so young, he has more room to grow and improve and I'm sure he'll take further steps. But the second bolded makes the point I want to make: for me he doesn't need to take a step up to find himself among the elite, just continue on what he's already doing. He's going to find himself in that elite scoring range you propose if he finishes the season at the 97 points he's pacing at. 

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Worth pointing out that Jack had 4 goals thru 17 games last year, finished pacing for 31. 

He has 4 in 16 right now.

We need to start asking ourselves what happens if the trend of Jack having a great December/January continues this season. If that happens, we might seriously be looking forward to some legitimate Art Ross speculation around here. 

58 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Eichel has looked absolutely fantastic of late. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Who am I supposed to Respond to, you or the Failing SNL?

I was just trying to be helpful and give you directions. It's a common saying in PA. Go to the top of the page and take a left back to the main page. I'll await your Apology.

Edited by PASabreFan
Plump Fingers

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Who am I supposed to Respond to, you or the Failing SNL?

I was just trying to be helpful and give you directions. It's a common saying in PA. Go to the top of the page and take a left back to the main page. I'll await your Apology.

huh?

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Image result for yeah right gif

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

huh?

I believe he was adopting a Trumpian affect relative to my alleged proffer of Fake News (regarding what he said). 

Which leaves me lost. All I did is subtweet him for having recently bemoaned Eichel as not the second coming of Perreault (and possibly little more than Tom Vanek).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.