GDT Montreal Canadiens vs Buffalo Sabres 7:30pm ET 11/8/18

Andrew Amerk

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Funny you say that.  Told the wife, his shaky play early had to be 1 of 3 things:

1. 1st game in Moe-ray-all since WJC 2 years ago;

2. Being paired w/ Beaulieu again; or

3. Key-beck's drinking age. ?

It's not the drinking age.  I'm sure he can get alcohol anytime he wants.  It's the atmosphere.  It's like Vegas.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I thought he had a lot of trouble with positioning in both zones, struggling with the speed of the play.

It's a very real possibility that the things I saw were because we played two of the speediest forward groups in the league in those two games though. I'd not be willing to take him off the line just yet, I'm just praying his legs stay under him as long as possible.

Pomminstein was never fast.  This is no surprise. I thought tactically, based on the loose-ness of the play, he played a solid veteran game.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's not the drinking age.  I'm sure he can get alcohol anytime he wants.  It's the atmosphere.  It's like Vegas.

Oh he definitely can.  We could too backin the day, but there was still something extra fun about it being legal after spending some time "underage."

And Moe-ray-all's definitely a fun city.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

And in things to look out for: IMO, that's two bad games for Pommers in a row now.

He had an assist and was +1 on the night, and came pretty damn close to scoring twice on setups from behind the net by Jack.  (I remember them both because I watched the game on my tablet in a hotel room, and I whooped on both of those because I thought Pommers would bury them.)  You're just not going to convert on all of those though.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He had an assist and was +1 on the night, and came pretty damn close to scoring twice on setups from behind the net by Jack.  (I remember them both because I watched the game on my tablet in a hotel room, and I whooped on both of those because I thought Pommers would bury them.)  You're just not going to convert on all of those though.

Yeah, the things I thought I noticed aren't really quantifiable. (They're the things that happened last year and were missed by his very good metrics last year as well). But I'm not super worried yet, because of how ridiculous MTL/NYR are at skating. Pominville isn't the only guy to screw up gaps and lag behind the play tonight. Just something I'm going to look out for as the season marches forward. I don't think we have a RW that I really want replacing him in that spot unfortunately so I'm hoping he remains spry (though he can ease off that 3rd place in ES points per 60 in the entire league and still be okay haha, holy smokes)

Sheary is coming alive again, Okie continues to churn along, and Mitts is as confident as ever. Hire dark to analyze our prospects and make decisive movements on what to do with them, because he's nailed Casey. Hopefully this is the middle six coming together and doing what we need them to do. 

And keep that 4th line together forever. Chewing up time on the boards in the o-zone with those guys is so valuable.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eichel is tied for 3rd in the league in assists. Only 1 forward has more. He's leading centerman in the category. 

If he develops into Adam Oates, are we OK with that?  I mean an assist man, not really a goal scorer.

Edited by Tondas

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

And keep that 4th line together forever. Chewing up time on the boards in the o-zone with those guys is so valuable.

They were the only Minus forwards on the team at -2.  But that's probably more a reflection of the game in general- asking a shutdown line to play against a top line in a high scoring game.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tondas said:

If he develops into Adam Oates, are we OK with that?  I mean an assist man, not really a goal scorer.

1.  Yes, we're okay with that.

2.  He can still score.  He's playing a different kind of game this year.  As long as the line is scoring, I'll take a reduced goal total from Jack himself in exchange for Defensively Responsible Jack.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Flagg was talking about it all thread, but Price's downfall really needs to be discussed more. He's a 10.5M cap hit, for the next SEVEN YEARS, and he is no longer good. That's...hilarious ?

I think that it's the Chicago/Los Angeles effect.  When the team is close to the cup, GM's will do anything to keep their core together and win a Cup.  That includes offering ridiculous contracts (Seabrook, Dustin Brown, etc.) with GM's knowing they will probably be gone when the stuff hits the fan or can rest on their laurels if they did win a cup or two early on.  Maybe it's worth it.  Would Sabres fan be pissed  with one cup and salary cap jail for 10 years?

Now, what Bergevin was thinking, I don't know.  The Habs were not close and he gave Price that deal.  As you say Wild, hilarious and why does Bergevin still have a job?

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

btw that Eichel goal was ridiculous

For those of you who didn't watch the analysis on the goal on MSG, note that Jack's right hand is "backwards" on the stick (fingers facing back for a backhanded pull on the draw, versus pointed forward for a normal shooting/passing grip).  He tapped the puck through the the Hab center's legs before tapping it over to Skinner, and the whole time he had his right hand backwards on his stick.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

I think that it's the Chicago/Los Angeles effect.  When the team is close to the cup, GM's will do anything to keep their core together and win a Cup.  That includes offering ridiculous contracts (Seabrook, Dustin Brown, etc.) with GM's knowing they will probably be gone when the stuff hits the fan or can rest on their laurels if they did win a cup or two early on.  Maybe it's worth it.  Would Sabres fan be pissed  with one cup and salary cap jail for 10 years?

Now, what Bergevin was thinking, I don't know.  The Habs were not close and he gave Price that deal.  As you say Wild, hilarious and why does Bergevin still have a job?

Bergevin has a job partly because of where he came from (Chicago during their success) and, sadly, a lot because of his heritage; French Canadian 

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Bergevin has a job partly because of where he came from (Chicago during their success) and, sadly, a lot because of his heritage; French Canadian 

Always admire the proper use of a semi colon, Wild.  Especially at this hour.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

My NHL.TV is going freaking haywire 

Mine randomly disconnected me right before the 3rd period and I missed about half of the period!

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Cheering for Jeff Skinner is the worst experience of my LIFE. When I eventually advocate for a contract extension, that'll be the worst singular moment of my life. 

Well, I think you need to get used to it.  They need to keep him.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'll be that guy: I think Sobotka has been an anchor tonight outside of those two goals. Good on the PK though. MTL is not his ideal opponent. 

Dude.  He was in on like 5 significant scoring chances and that line was great tonight.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

These pronouns need antecedents. Who has outplayed whom?

I think this is the first demand for a pronoun antecedent in SabreSpace history.

Separately, Ullmark really fell apart in that game.  So much for my prediction of a goalie controversy.  Hutton is still very much the man.

Pommer did have the game on his stick right in front at the end of regulation after a nifty backhand feed from Eichel and whiffed on it. 

I think we'll see Nelson back on on Saturday for Beaulieu.

Skinner looks like he unabashedly loves playing with Eichel.  If the Sabres look like a playoff team and they make him a market-level offer -- which will be freaking expensive -- I think he'll sign an extension.

Back to DeLuca .500 with a winnable game (and perhaps another track meet) coming up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Skinner looks like he unabashedly loves playing with Eichel.  If the Sabres look like a playoff team and they make him a market-level offer -- which will be freaking expensive -- I think he'll sign an extension.

They need to sign him to an extension whether the playoffs in 2019 look realistic or not.  He's the best long-term option for Eichel's wing and there's no need to shorten that long-term view to what might or might not happen this coming April.  Skinner is as much a part of the rebuild as anyone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Mine randomly disconnected me right before the 3rd period and I missed about half of the period!

Well, I think you need to get used to it.  They need to keep him.

Dude.  He was in on like 5 significant scoring chances and that line was great tonight.

I think this is the first demand for a pronoun antecedent in SabreSpace history.

Separately, Ullmark really fell apart in that game.  So much for my prediction of a goalie controversy.  Hutton is still very much the man.

Pommer did have the game on his stick right in front at the end of regulation after a nifty backhand feed from Eichel and whiffed on it. 

I think we'll see Nelson back on on Saturday for Beaulieu.

Back to DeLuca .500 with a winnable game (and perhaps another track meet) coming up.

True, but all of those chances were 95% 71/23 and about 5% 71, and he lost pucks he shouldn't have. I will tirelessly push for a 2C move because these guys deserve the reinforcements. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.