Audiophiles

Indabuff

Looking to upgrade audio in the finished basement.  Bought a Peachtree Deepblue2 for a general tv/Bluetooth speaker.  Love the speaker but during a recent party I realized I need some more oomph.  Suggestions?  Sonos?  I've seen pictures of some of your bathrooms on this site so please don't suggest some Walmart checkout aisle speaker.  Was hoping to keep it wireless but not sure if I can for what I'm looking for.

31 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Was hoping to keep it wireless but not sure if I can for what I'm looking for.

Comment based on limited knowledge and unlimited ignorance here, but I wouldn't think wireless/bluetooth is compatible with audiophile level speakers.  Doesn't bluetooth compress data?  I would think that would result in loss of fidelity.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Comment based on limited knowledge and unlimited ignorance here, but I wouldn't think wireless/bluetooth is compatible with audiophile level speakers.  Doesn't bluetooth compress data?  I would think that would result in loss of fidelity.

I underestimated the intelligence on this site.  I just titled the topic Audiophile because it was the first word that came to mind.  I'm not looking for speakers of the highest quality.  

4 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I underestimated the intelligence on this site.  I just titled the topic Audiophile because it was the first word that came to mind.  I'm not looking for speakers of the highest quality.  

You underestimate my ability to string big words into a sentence without fully understanding their significance.

• Haha (+1) 2

Oh man, where to even start. The first thing about audio is: everything is subjective. What one person thinks sounds good can make another guy crazy mad. 

So, with that said. A lot of people really seem to like Edifier for Bluetooth speakers. Look into setups that let you add a sub to provide more bass. 

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/r1850db-powered-bookshelf-speakers-subwoofer-out

A few years back I bought a pair of BIC America bookshelfs based on really solid reviews.  They have not disappointed hooked up to my ancient Kenwood set up.

That's as close to audiophile as I get.

And they aren't wireless.  But they sound great to my concert damaged ears.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Where do you live?  I can recommend a good shop in WNY but I don't know where you are.

As for me, I've always custom designed my systems--usually on a budget, though. 

Hamburg area.  I thought I had this planned out with having HDMI cables, digital/optical cables, and outlets positioned strategically but I guess I was wrong. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Turn it on its side.

It's a great idea. Tweeters out.

I love these threads. For as much as I know about this stuff, there is so much more I don't know. I would bet that those BIC's in those alcoves, with a sub would sound awesome. And I really want to hear those Edifiers.

And Weave, those "ancient" Kenwoods are nothin to sneeze at. I listen to most of my non-critical, "thumpin" music through a garage sale Marantz special. $80, with remote. I think Marantz receivers are worth buying no matter the new fangled video inputs they may or may not have, just for their power amps alone. They just sound really good.

I really don't like the sound of bluetooth, though. I won't even listen to my phone in the truck unless I hook it up with copper. I know, audio snob, but there really is a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Hamburg area.  I thought I had this planned out with having HDMI cables, digital/optical cables, and outlets positioned strategically but I guess I was wrong. 

In Buffalo, just go to Speaker Shop on Main near UB South.  They'll steer you right.  I think they're a little pricey, but if you really want the best experience, they're the best in town.

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I love these threads. For as much as I know about this stuff, there is so much more I don't know. I would bet that those BIC's in those alcoves, with a sub would sound awesome. And I really want to hear those Edifiers.

And Weave, those "ancient" Kenwoods are nothin to sneeze at. I listen to most of my non-critical, "thumpin" music through a garage sale Marantz special. $80, with remote. I think Marantz receivers are worth buying no matter the new fangled video inputs they may or may not have, just for their power amps alone. They just sound really good.

I really don't like the sound of bluetooth, though. I won't even listen to my phone in the truck unless I hook it up with copper. I know, audio snob, but there really is a difference.

There are "ancient" speakers that still are great.  I love my Minimus 7s as bookshelf speakers.  You'll have a hell of a time convincing me that I'm wrong with those for that role.

53 minutes ago, SwampD said:

+1 for old Marantz receivers. They're worth it every time.

I recently set up a small (but pretty good) system in my parlor for under $400.  Dayton Audio makes a great little Bluetooth digital amplifier (it has RCA and 1/8" stereo inputs as well).  50 watts/channel plus a 100w subwoofer out.  Model number is DTA-2.1BT and it goes for $89 on Amazon.  I added a pair of ELAC Debut B6 speakers for $179 and a non-powered subwoofer from Amazon for $56.  Add a few dollars for speaker cables.  I use it to play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth and it sounds pretty amazing (both quality of sound and volume).  (This has not replaced my "big" stereo setup with a Harmen-Kardon receiver, CD changer, subwoofer+amp and Paradigm tower speakers though).  I like the setup because I can fire it up on a whim when I get tired of watching TV.

Edited by Sabre Dance

1 hour ago, Sabre Dance said:

I recently set up a small (but pretty good) system in my parlor for under $400.  Dayton Audio makes a great little Bluetooth digital amplifier (it has RCA and 1/8" stereo inputs as well).  50 watts/channel plus a 100w subwoofer out.  Model number is DTA-2.1BT and it goes for $89 on Amazon.  I added a pair of ELAC Debut B6 speakers for $179 and a non-powered subwoofer from Amazon for $56.  Add a few dollars for speaker cables.  I use it to play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth and it sounds pretty amazing (both quality of sound and volume).  (This has not replaced my "big" stereo setup with a Harmen-Kardon receiver, CD changer, subwoofer+amp and Paradigm tower speakers though).  I like the setup because I can fire it up on a whim when I get tired of watching TV.

How strange, I used to have a HK amp, Sony CD Changer, and Paradigm 7" towers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.