Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Indabuff

Audiophiles

Recommended Posts

Looking to upgrade audio in the finished basement.  Bought a Peachtree Deepblue2 for a general tv/Bluetooth speaker.  Love the speaker but during a recent party I realized I need some more oomph.  Suggestions?  Sonos?  I've seen pictures of some of your bathrooms on this site so please don't suggest some Walmart checkout aisle speaker.  Was hoping to keep it wireless but not sure if I can for what I'm looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

 Was hoping to keep it wireless but not sure if I can for what I'm looking for.

 

Comment based on limited knowledge and unlimited ignorance here, but I wouldn't think wireless/bluetooth is compatible with audiophile level speakers.  Doesn't bluetooth compress data?  I would think that would result in loss of fidelity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Weave said:

 

Comment based on limited knowledge and unlimited ignorance here, but I wouldn't think wireless/bluetooth is compatible with audiophile level speakers.  Doesn't bluetooth compress data?  I would think that would result in loss of fidelity.

I underestimated the intelligence on this site.  I just titled the topic Audiophile because it was the first word that came to mind.  I'm not looking for speakers of the highest quality.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically I'm looking for quality speakers that can appease the masses at midnight for Rump Shaker (although those days are far and few between with two young kids).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I underestimated the intelligence on this site.  I just titled the topic Audiophile because it was the first word that came to mind.  I'm not looking for speakers of the highest quality.  

You underestimate my ability to string big words into a sentence without fully understanding their significance.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, where to even start. The first thing about audio is: everything is subjective. What one person thinks sounds good can make another guy crazy mad. 

So, with that said. A lot of people really seem to like Edifier for Bluetooth speakers. Look into setups that let you add a sub to provide more bass. 

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/r1850db-powered-bookshelf-speakers-subwoofer-out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years back I bought a pair of BIC America bookshelfs based on really solid reviews.  They have not disappointed hooked up to my ancient Kenwood set up.

That's as close to audiophile as I get.

And they aren't wireless.  But they sound great to my concert damaged ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

The problem I have is I'm restricted to about 14" of clearance on the walls.

 

8.9 x 14.8 x 9.1 (W x H x D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Weave said:

8.9 x 14.8 x 9.1 (W x H x D)

Restriction 14" high.  I knew I should have pushed for only three shelves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Restriction 14" high.  I knew I should have pushed for only three shelves. 

Turn it on its side.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you live?  I can recommend a good shop in WNY but I don't know where you are.

As for me, I've always custom designed my systems--usually on a budget, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Where do you live?  I can recommend a good shop in WNY but I don't know where you are.

As for me, I've always custom designed my systems--usually on a budget, though. 

Hamburg area.  I thought I had this planned out with having HDMI cables, digital/optical cables, and outlets positioned strategically but I guess I was wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weave said:

Turn it on its side.

It's a great idea. Tweeters out.

I love these threads. For as much as I know about this stuff, there is so much more I don't know. I would bet that those BIC's in those alcoves, with a sub would sound awesome. And I really want to hear those Edifiers.

And Weave, those "ancient" Kenwoods are nothin to sneeze at. I listen to most of my non-critical, "thumpin" music through a garage sale Marantz special. $80, with remote. I think Marantz receivers are worth buying no matter the new fangled video inputs they may or may not have, just for their power amps alone. They just sound really good.

I really don't like the sound of bluetooth, though. I won't even listen to my phone in the truck unless I hook it up with copper. I know, audio snob, but there really is a difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Hamburg area.  I thought I had this planned out with having HDMI cables, digital/optical cables, and outlets positioned strategically but I guess I was wrong. 

In Buffalo, just go to Speaker Shop on Main near UB South.  They'll steer you right.  I think they're a little pricey, but if you really want the best experience, they're the best in town.

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It's a great idea. Tweeters out.

I love these threads. For as much as I know about this stuff, there is so much more I don't know. I would bet that those BIC's in those alcoves, with a sub would sound awesome. And I really want to hear those Edifiers.

And Weave, those "ancient" Kenwoods are nothin to sneeze at. I listen to most of my non-critical, "thumpin" music through a garage sale Marantz special. $80, with remote. I think Marantz receivers are worth buying no matter the new fangled video inputs they may or may not have, just for their power amps alone. They just sound really good.

I really don't like the sound of bluetooth, though. I won't even listen to my phone in the truck unless I hook it up with copper. I know, audio snob, but there really is a difference.

There are "ancient" speakers that still are great.  I love my Minimus 7s as bookshelf speakers.  You'll have a hell of a time convincing me that I'm wrong with those for that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It's a great idea. Tweeters out.

I love these threads. For as much as I know about this stuff, there is so much more I don't know. I would bet that those BIC's in those alcoves, with a sub would sound awesome. And I really want to hear those Edifiers.

And Weave, those "ancient" Kenwoods are nothin to sneeze at. I listen to most of my non-critical, "thumpin" music through a garage sale Marantz special. $80, with remote. I think Marantz receivers are worth buying no matter the new fangled video inputs they may or may not have, just for their power amps alone. They just sound really good.

I really don't like the sound of bluetooth, though. I won't even listen to my phone in the truck unless I hook it up with copper. I know, audio snob, but there really is a difference.

+1 for old Marantz receivers. They're worth it every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently set up a small (but pretty good) system in my parlor for under $400.  Dayton Audio makes a great little Bluetooth digital amplifier (it has RCA and 1/8" stereo inputs as well).  50 watts/channel plus a 100w subwoofer out.  Model number is DTA-2.1BT and it goes for $89 on Amazon.  I added a pair of ELAC Debut B6 speakers for $179 and a non-powered subwoofer from Amazon for $56.  Add a few dollars for speaker cables.  I use it to play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth and it sounds pretty amazing (both quality of sound and volume).  (This has not replaced my "big" stereo setup with a Harmen-Kardon receiver, CD changer, subwoofer+amp and Paradigm tower speakers though).  I like the setup because I can fire it up on a whim when I get tired of watching TV.

Edited by Sabre Dance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sabre Dance said:

I recently set up a small (but pretty good) system in my parlor for under $400.  Dayton Audio makes a great little Bluetooth digital amplifier (it has RCA and 1/8" stereo inputs as well).  50 watts/channel plus a 100w subwoofer out.  Model number is DTA-2.1BT and it goes for $89 on Amazon.  I added a pair of ELAC Debut B6 speakers for $179 and a non-powered subwoofer from Amazon for $56.  Add a few dollars for speaker cables.  I use it to play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth and it sounds pretty amazing (both quality of sound and volume).  (This has not replaced my "big" stereo setup with a Harmen-Kardon receiver, CD changer, subwoofer+amp and Paradigm tower speakers though).  I like the setup because I can fire it up on a whim when I get tired of watching TV.

How strange, I used to have a HK amp, Sony CD Changer, and Paradigm 7" towers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MattPie said:

How strange, I used to have a HK amp, Sony CD Changer, and Paradigm 7" towers.

Yep, my CD changer is a Sony as well.  Not so strange - we both have excellent taste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My audiophile buddy suggested a set of Paradigm or MartinLogan (which apparently had better specs).  Apparently they're not Bluetooth, just WiFi?  I thought about adding another Deepblue2 but I guess you can't sync them.  Just my luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×