Rasmus Dahlin is Good

WildCard

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I need a super simple explanation of what those values show, and perhaps how they'd compare with Karlsson, Hedman, et al.

The number on the bar (or the bar's length/color) indicate where each of those metrics falls relative to his peers, as a percentile. 

For example, expected-goals-against, he is in the 72nd percentile. Less than 30% of NHL defenseman have a better expected-goals-against.

Broadly speaking, he is quite comfortably a legitimate NHL 3D based on that chart, being sizably better than 50% of all defensemen at many things. Which is very impressive for an 18yo at that position.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

That's not Hedman's rookie season, that's 16-17. He was 3rd in Norris voting and 14th in Hart voting that season

My mistake, thank you for pointing that out. Thought that looked way too good to be his rookie year; iirc he struggled early on 

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

My mistake, thank you for pointing that out. Thought that looked way too good to be his rookie year; iirc he struggled early on 

Same, that's why I had to investigate - particularly the offensive numbers, he spent his first two or three years working solely on the defensive side of things (both his and his coaching staff's priority) which worked out quite nicely. 

Dahlin and our coaching staff have said the exact same things as well, and IMO things are going swimmingly. The only "red" in that chart is the red that indicates he's being sheltered in usage. Perfecto. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

If you've got the Athletic, here's a think from Ryan Stimson about whether defensemen develop slower from before the season started:

https://theathletic.com/509070/2018/10/17/stimson-examining-whether-defensemen-take-longer-to-develop-than-forwards-and-how-that-affects-the-sabres/

Basically it amounts to saying that coaches should actually trust their young blueliners EARLIER,and I actually think Housely is doing that right now.

I'd love to see a fancy stats write up comparing Dahlin to Hedman, Karlsson, and Ekblad's first years.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1641832/raving-about-rasmus-dahlins-impact-already-extends-past-the-obvious

Not sure if it was posted here but this is a fun article. 

Players talk about my favorite thing about Dahlin - so many times, in a tight squeeze, he gets the puck through players to his teammates. Because he fully understands where their sticks and legs are, and what they're expecting, and where they're going to move those things. Datsyuk was amazing at stuff like that too.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1641832/raving-about-rasmus-dahlins-impact-already-extends-past-the-obvious

Not sure if it was posted here but this is a fun article. 

Players talk about my favorite thing about Dahlin - so many times, in a tight squeeze, he gets the puck through players to his teammates. Because he fully understands where their sticks and legs are, and what they're expecting, and where they're going to move those things. Datsyuk was amazing at stuff like that too.

I've seen him do this so many times. Him, Jack, and Casey are really the only ones that try it with success

“I actually like the right side a lot,” Dahlin said, eliciting images of Red Wings great Nicklas Lidstrom. “I can play both, so it doesn’t matter.”

That settles that debate

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.