Memorial / Remembrance Day - November 11, 2018

Sabres Fan in NS

I am not sure if this is thread worthy, but thought so ...

This coming November 11th is a very special day, as it marks the 100th Anniversary of the end of the 'Great War'.  The 'war to end all wars'.  History has shown that not to be the case.

You guys and gals know that I am a lover, not a fighter.  That is not to say that I do not appreciate and thank those who have served, those who do serve and, especially, those who have paid the ultimate price.

So, a big thank you goes out to all that serve, or have served, be you a combat veteran, or not.  And I also include any and all first responders, as well.

Thank you, with Love from NS.

Maybe soon there will be an end to war.  One fine day ...

• Like (+1) 1

I just relised that November 11th is just another day for you Yanks.

Well, it is a big day in Canada, England ... especially here in Halifax, as we are a military town.

So, maybe just indulge me and my fellow hosers, eh?

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can't find my poppy.

Here you go ...

image.jpeg.21cb7a7b2879580ec531f59f4b54fedb.jpeg

I feel that the Great War is often one of the most ignored wars. The main event to study was always WWII when considering multi-national worldwide conflicts. I know in America it gets somewhat ignored because the US didn't show up till the third act like some cavalry film- also possibly because there isn't a lot of film footage of it, like WWII. But it was the most horribly violent, throw-men-into-a-meat-grinder, literally watch the method of warfare and civilization change/modernize in front of you wars of all time. Troops went into battles in 1800s uniform regalia- plumes on cloth caps, bright colors, pomp and grandeur- and a year or two later wore the metal helmets and muted drab colors we use today. Whole regiments rode in on horseback against guns, only to find that method of warfare was already obsolete. Trench warfare, gas, airplanes- many military firsts (and in some cases, lasts). 

And during that whole time, a viral epidemic killed more people than the fighting (spanish flu). It's important to acknowledge that war and those who fought in it- and keep it in the shadows no longer. 

• Like (+1) 2

They had midterm elections almost exactly 100 years ago, also. The ruling Democratic Party was wiped out and would not recover for twelve years. It was the only election held during the war, and was the election held after the Presidential election of 1916 in which President Wilson promised to keep us out of that war. We went to war right after he was sworn in. The next election would see one of the anti-war protesters run for President from jail, that being Eugene Debs. Civil liberties were suppressed, many people went to jail and massive amounts of men were mobilized and drafted. Women (some who went to jail during the war) finally pushed a constitutional amendment over the goal line to make them full citizens and able to vote. Anarchist bombs were going off, German sabotage was happening and inflation was punishing the working class which promised not to strike during the war, but once it ended there were strikes everywhere. Buffalo and the Lackawanna area saw lots of strikes, some turned violent and the Palmer raids actually reached into lackawanna. 

It was a crazy time! 

6 minutes ago, josie said:

I feel that the Great War is often one of the most ignored wars. The main event to study was always WWII when considering multi-national worldwide conflicts. I know in America it gets somewhat ignored because the US didn't show up till the third act like some cavalry film- also possibly because there isn't a lot of film footage of it, like WWII. But it was the most horribly violent, throw-men-into-a-meat-grinder, literally watch the method of warfare and civilization change/modernize in front of you wars of all time. Troops went into battles in 1800s uniform regalia- plumes on cloth caps, bright colors, pomp and grandeur- and a year or two later wore the metal helmets and muted drab colors we use today. Whole regiments rode in on horseback against guns, only to find that method of warfare was already obsolete. Trench warfare, gas, airplanes- many military firsts (and in some cases, lasts). 

And during that whole time, a viral epidemic killed more people than the fighting (spanish flu). It's important to acknowledge that war and those who fought in it- and keep it in the shadows no longer. 

It was just all so stupid. Germans killing Frenchmen, and for what? This was supposed to be the civilized part of the world! 

• Like (+1) 1

It's posts like the one above that point out why I roll my eyes when people say "Things are so crazy nowadays- why can't they be like they were in the past?" The past was never particularly peaceful... The last 100 years have been a wild, wild ride. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.